• Nutty about Disney parks

Perfect length and budget for a WDW/UO trip.

I'm seriously considering planning a WDW trip for May 2013 as a surprise graduation gift for my friend. I'm more accustomed with doing Disney in the fall and winter seasons so May will be new frontier for me. I worry it will be too hot.

However I should be more concerned about money and budget, especially since I also want to try and do Universal Orlando in the trip as well. My first question is what would you recommend as far as money and length of stay to get the most out of visiting both Disney and Universal resorts without wearing out? I wanna try and book the Art of Animation Resort for this trip so some money will be saved there. Beyond that I like any other suggestions. This will be a 2 person vacation, btw.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Under that tree again!

Re: Perfect length and budget for a WDW/UO trip.

Are you taking a car? That will of course add to the cost, but may be worth it for a day or two to get to Universal. Also you may save money by staying near USO and then staying at WDW before, after or on both ends. Since you have only two people you may try pricelining a rental car. Also onsite is Alamo, and Thrify, Avis and Budget in harder to get to location at Hotel Plaza next to DTD.

If you split your WDW visit get tickets for all the days you need on your first reservation. If there is a special like free dining you may only end up getting it on part of your stay if your split it.

If you get a room with a fridge eating grocery store food can save some money.

For days I'd suggest 5-6 at WDW and 1-2 at USO.

I forgot to discuss the transport part.

More than likely we will NOT be taking a car. We will most likely use Disney's Magic Express. I know this will create an obstacle as far as getting into Universal but I figure we could just spend the money on a taxi for whatever days we plan to go there. It would seem like a waste to go back and forth between hotels and would just rather stick with one. Unless of course renting a car turns out to be cheaper for some reason, we'll be spending most of our time on Disney property anyway.

• Under that tree again!

To get to USO from any WDW resort there are a couple options. One is a taxi and the other shuttles. Taxis are easy to get on both end and allow more flexbility for your schedule. The shuttles are of course on a set schedule and you need to prebook them. Taxis cost about $25-$35 each way including tip. Shuttles cost I think is about $20 each round trip. If you would like to research this option all transport from WDW to offsite location is done by the same company, Mears Transportation. You might even search for promo codes to use.

With either you of course save $15 on parking at USO.

What's trickier is if you need to use a taxi to get to a grocery store that of course cost money and can eat into the savings of eating your own food.

Depending on flights it may be cheaper to drive down to Florida, that of course would be a day drive each way, but might save some money. Parking at Disney is free if you are an onsite guest.

Oh we're definitely gonna fly. My friend won't be able to cope with a 16hr drive and I've done enough 16hr drive trips to last me a lifetime. I found that Unlimited Dreams shuttle service that will take you straight to UO from your Disney hotel so I will definitly be doing that.

Though I may haveta reconsider my hotel at this point. It seems that since they updated the webpage last night the hotel rates have skyrocketed. The same suite that listed at $264 last night is now gonna cost $364. That is just...insane. Standard value rooms have now gone up from $82 to $101 in the value season. Man...

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I would say is to keep checking the website for new deals. I'm using the discounted hotel rates for feb. That ends on Dec 31st so I would expect a new deal to appear sometime in Jan for the upcoming months leading up to summer. Free dining as someone stated will most likely be included.

This trip I'm booking my hotel room only and then paying for it in full the day I arrive. I'm buying discounted park hopper tickets through my work to save money. I'm also using Disney transportation to get around. As for USO. I would only visit for one day with the target destination being Harry Potter. I would advise getting just a one day taste of USO. A taste for a future trip to see if on your next venture out to Orlando that you may just stay at USO for the entire lenght of your future stay.

I would focus on WDW and keep hitting all four parks and Downtown Disney. Remember there's so much to do at the theme parks so your money will go a long way the more time you spend at WDW resort property.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Oh we're definitely gonna fly. My friend won't be able to cope with a 16hr drive and I've done enough 16hr drive trips to last me a lifetime. I found that Unlimited Dreams shuttle service that will take you straight to UO from your Disney hotel so I will definitly be doing that.

Though I may haveta reconsider my hotel at this point. It seems that since they updated the webpage last night the hotel rates have skyrocketed. The same suite that listed at $264 last night is now gonna cost $364. That is just...insane. Standard value rooms have now gone up from $82 to $101 in the value season. Man...
    Dream Unlimted doesn't have shuttles and if they claimed service direct from your resort to universal that's a lie. They are a travel agency. All taxis and shuttles that pick up in WDW are operated by Mears Transport as I mentioned above, they have a contract to be the only provider of such services in WDW. Depending on demand the buses may make multiple stops at Disney resorts before leaving and when returning.

Now if they said they had some great offer, know that all theme park tickets are easy to purchase at a discount, disney's too, try expedia. Internet ticket sellers can take off some of the sales tax to provide savings.

I agree with MiGoofy Duck, keep checking prices, also know if a deal comes up you can change your reservation, if worthwhile.

I'm not sure how you got that pricing, because $82 looks old. Do you really need to stay in a suite at the Art of Animation Resort? If you are interested in seeing the resort stay at POP and there is a bridge over the lake between the two, so just walk over to visit.

After some thinking, I've decided to make a few changes to my itinerary. Though with the WDW website in the condition that it is, it'll be some think till I can build up a full plan. I'll get back to this in a little bit when I figure out the new changes.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    After some thinking, I've decided to make a few changes to my itinerary. Though with the WDW website in the condition that it is, it'll be some think till I can build up a full plan. I'll get back to this in a little bit when I figure out the new changes.

I noticed since they changed, we'll call it "updated" thier site like DL did a year ago, it looks nice but harder to find solid information.

Since you are talking about only 5 months away, I would try to get a schedule nailed down quickly. ADR's can be made 6 months out and if you want to do any table service you sould try to get reservations sooner rather than later.

I was there end of May/beginning of June 2012. It was really hot and rainy but I had a blast.

For the trip from Disney to Universal, I used Destinations to Explore Universal Orlando and it was great. The cost of the ticket with shuttle was almost the same price as the ticket itself. No problems with transportation as they picked up as promised. We bought a 1-day park-hopper which was a bit of a waste of money as we spent all day at Harry Potter land and rarely ventured elsewhere (but then again, my sis and I are huge fans).

I was at Disney World for 5 days - 2 spent with my sis (who then went to a convention) and 3 days on my own. I thought 5 days was good though I would've loved to stay longer. With only 2 people (or 1), it was so much easier to find seats together at a show and we always ended up going in at the last minute.

Hope you have fun!