WDW trip for 2 adults - any advice?

I'm doing research on planning a trip for myself and my boyfriend for late 2014 (looking at dates from September through early January '15 for 4/5 days). I've been to WDW many times and have stayed on property twice (once at All Star Music, once at Coronado Springs) and off property the rest, and would prefer to stay on property. That being said, every sort of package deal I seem to come across is usually for a family/group of 4 or more, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of savings to be had for 2 adults. Am I wrong? I'd be totally fine with staying at the All Stars but my boyfriend is pickier when it comes to a resort and would at least want to stay at a moderate. We'd be flying from Los Angeles so our flights would already be expensive. Any recommendations or tips would be really helpful!

Re: WDW trip for 2 adults - any advice?

Wow, that is a long way off but I can truly understand. It can take a lot of time to save up for a trip like that.

Well for starters let's look at the time(s) you're planning for. In September, WDW has the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot from the last weekend of September all the way through to Halloween. Crowds tend to pick up during this time. But let's face it, once Halloween is over, most of the Disney parks start gearing up for the Christmas holidays so its likely to stay busy through to the end of the year.

If you go in January just after the first of the year, Christmas will be over and crowds might be down. Generally a lot of people who want to avoid crowds tend to go during the slow periods like in January. If I may make at least one suggestion at this point, if you plan on going in early 15, push the plans just a little further ahead into March. Epcot has their annual Flower & Garden Festival from beginning of March through Mid April, and it is always a sight to see. Its Spring and all the flowers are out in bloom, they really go all out. You'll also be going just before Spring Break (depending on when Easter is during then) so you should beat the crowds before it starts to get busy again.

Once you have your time frame picked out, you can then decide where you want to stay. There are the surrounding hotels in the Orlando area, but let's face it, you get a more memorable trip if you stay on property and you get extra bonuses like them holding your merchandise & delivers it to your room, if you buy any, and the Express bus that takes you to & from the airport. The feeling of staying on property is also so much better, not to mention you also have the use of Disney transportation at your leisure. Depending on where you stay, offers limited to more transportation and access. The MK resorts have the monorail and the Epcot resorts have the boats to Epcot. But all resorts have the white shuttle buses running continuously throughout the day. Staying on property also gives you the option for many packages, including Magic Hours which either get you into the parks 1 hour before entry, or 2 hours after closing. If you need any help deciding what resort to stay at, I invite you to view this micechat thread, where many fellow chatters have offered their opinions on what are the best resorts on the property.

What's the best themed Disney hotel in Florida?

Since your planned visit is so far out, you won't be able to check any times or schedules until just before you leave. One thing is certain though, the Fantasyland Expansion should be complete by the time you visit. When you do visit, I highly recommend getting this smart phone app, called My Disney Experience WDW. I posted a thread about it a few weeks ago, you may visit that for more information here...

Have You Heard......My Disney Experience - WDW - A New Smartphone App

I offer two more suggestions at this time, but I will happily offer any other help or advice anytime you need it. First, I only say this because of the overall cost of making a vacation to WDW. It can be a sizable investment, even when trying to pinch every penny. So for something like this, I would consider the investment that you & your boyfriend have in each other. (If you two have been together for a time, then disregard this piece of advice.) I only say it because I would hate to see anyone plan a big trip like this and for something unforeseen happen before the trip takes place for it to not happen.

Second suggestion, I offer to everyone that comes Disney World. When you get here, enjoy every minute of your stay. If you do stay on property, especially near the Magic Kingdom, once you arrive take a moment to absorb where you are and start soaking in that "magic." It's very fun here and not many get the chance to have a well planned out vacation at the resort. Every time I go to the Magic Kingdom park or even stop at one of the nearby resorts, I stop for a moment, close my eyes and listen to the sounds of the park nearby. So whether or not you go to Epcot during the Flower & Garden Festival, when you are here, be sure to take time to stop & smell the roses, metaphorically speaking. You can get tons of help here from your fellow mice chatters, including myself. So feel free to hit me up anytime.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

if you book during september through Disney, you can get 25% off your moderate hotel right there, thats big savings and upgrades the stay for your BF at a more manageable price. park tickets are always going to be expensive and at most all your going to get is 5%, maybe 10% off if your lucky. pay out of pocket for dining so you can adjust your eating habits to your budget and there you have it, thats your cheapest option IMO for your vacation.

by the way you wont even be able to book that until like january so I would settle down on the trip planning , I like the enthusiasm though.

Thank you both for your help!! I know I'm WAY ahead of the game, but since I'll have to be saving starting... well, today, probably, it'll be good to have an idea of how to approach it. As a kid, my family and I used to go in March and it truly was the best time of the year; having been during Marathon weekend, Spring Break, and Christmastime, I'd much rather go when its quieter (wouldn't we all?) I really enjoyed staying at Colorado Springs and would love to stay there again, and any savings on the hotel end would be great. Would you recommend not utilizing the dining plan? When we go to DL, we usually eat one meal at counter service and one meal at a table service. With so many dining options at WDW I'm sure we'll want to take advantage of as many as possible, but since there's only two of us, I'm not sure if it'll be less expensive to just pay out of pocket for each meal. I've never used the dining plan before so I'm a newbie when it comes to that!

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    Thank you both for your help!! I know I'm WAY ahead of the game, but since I'll have to be saving starting... well, today, probably, it'll be good to have an idea of how to approach it. As a kid, my family and I used to go in March and it truly was the best time of the year; having been during Marathon weekend, Spring Break, and Christmastime, I'd much rather go when its quieter (wouldn't we all?) I really enjoyed staying at Colorado Springs and would love to stay there again, and any savings on the hotel end would be great. Would you recommend not utilizing the dining plan? When we go to DL, we usually eat one meal at counter service and one meal at a table service. With so many dining options at WDW I'm sure we'll want to take advantage of as many as possible, but since there's only two of us, I'm not sure if it'll be less expensive to just pay out of pocket for each meal. I've never used the dining plan before so I'm a newbie when it comes to that!
    I would suggest contact the Disney Travel company just to ask them about their dining plan options and compare it to out of pocket. There is Downtown Disney to consider, and the McDonalds on the southwestern end of the property as well. Two people could eat at the counter service for probably 25 to 30 dollars, rough estimate. I'm not sure about table service though. It's been forever since I ate at any of their restaurants for table service.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    Would you recommend not utilizing the dining plan? When we go to DL, we usually eat one meal at counter service and one meal at a table service. With so many dining options at WDW I'm sure we'll want to take advantage of as many as possible, but since there's only two of us, I'm not sure if it'll be less expensive to just pay out of pocket for each meal. I've never used the dining plan before so I'm a newbie when it comes to that!
    the way i see it is it all depends on your habits and likes. sure if you go for the standard dining plan you get your counter lunch and table dinner plus a snack, but then what about breakfast? an appetizer? an alcoholic beverage or two? all of a sudden these things add up as additional costs. to see if its really worthwhile for you and your eating habits, you really have to get down in the nitty gritty and do the math on it. look at a couple different levels of the plan and see if one in particular fits you for money and experience.

They are giving an example of what a family could save. They usually have a room only discount at approx 4 months out. Keep checking the special offers section on their website, as you selected date you wanna go approaches. The dining plan is only worth it if you are big eaters because quick service lunches/dinners and table service meals come with dessert. If should look at menus and price out with meal plan and without meal plan with not as many desserts. Plus if you will have a car with you you could go to a grocery store and prepare sandwiches in your room, and buy snack foods too.

We went as a family of three adults last August. I arranged for the deluxe dining plan and made all reservations previous to our visit, which the rest of the party found delightful in an itinerary all-inclusive way. I would Not recommend the Hoop de doo revue as an excursion as it seemed rushed and the food was low quality. A definite must is the Brown Derby in Disney studios park with the big sorcerer's apprentice hat. It was a bit restrictive having to plan to be at thus and so location at thus and so time, but we did save roughly 20% time And $$ just waiting in lines and having catch ascatch can.