Thread: Rain at WDW

Sad Rain at WDW

DH & I are leaving in 6 days and according to various online weather sites, it looks like the entire trip will be having thunderstorms. This is putting quite a damper on trying to get excited for my trip. Any suggestions?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Rain at WDW

Don't worry about it. Thunderstorms in the afternoon in Florida during the summer are standard. Most likely they will occur around 3PM for an hour or 2 and then be done. Don't let it ruin your vacation. There is still plenty of fun to have in the rain!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

I was there a couple weeks ago and the rain wasn't too bad though its very hot and humid though. Though your probably gonna be on the rides most of time anyway so really nothing to worry about. Have fun k.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about it, like yoyoflamingo said we get afternoon/evening thunderstorms starting about 2-3pm. I'm a native born Floridian and I've lived in the Orlando area since 1975ish. We moved up here from Coral Gables when I was only two years old.

I believe the only rides that'll shut down for lightning are the outdoor rides like the Indy 500, both Dumbo rides, Astro Orbiters, BTMRR, SM, etc.

The most important things I can say is have plenty of patience, wear plenty of sunscreen, drink plenty of WATER, and above all, HAVE FUN!
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

A good rule of thumb for this time of year is to do outdoor things first thing in the morning before it really heats up and save indoor shows and longer rides for that hot and rainy late afternoon time. If you're flexible on mealtimes, 3 or 4pm is usually a good time for a nice long sit-down meal - or if not, longer indoor things like the Country Bears, Philharmagic, Universe of Energy, Nemo/Crush, Great Movie Ride, Muppetvision, Nemo Musical, Festival of the Lion King, etc. If you're like me, a few August visits will also make that decision for the next trip to be in February much easier.

As someone else posted, Florida thunderstorms usually roll in and out quickly. But if the forecast calls for rain all day, it's still not a problem. There are plenty of indoor attractions and activities. Also, if you brave the rain, the crowds usually dwindle and wait times are shorter. Just come prepared with clothing that drys out quickly and/or pack light ponchos.

• Tink

Bring some rainboots and keep smiling! I went to WDW in May for a week and it said it was supposed to rain and it didn't at all! not once! Weird! But I was prepared just in case.

Bring disposable rain ponchos- disposable is better because it is cheap and you can just toss it when your done instead of putting a wet poncho in your bag or something.

the characters are still out and greeting people but the location usually changes and all the rides are still functioning. The only thing you really ever do that is outside is walk, shop, and watch parades.
    Now, I'm not sure if parades are cancelled or the fireworks are, I only know that certain stunts are not performed if the weather is bad.

• Pilot EdForceOne

bring shoes that can get wet (we like flipflops)
    bring ponchos (buy at walmart) that fit into their own bags

Enjoy!

We just bring flipflops in our bag and ponchos and if it gets bad enough.. switch into them and go!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by katy621 View Post
    DH & I are leaving in 6 days and according to various online weather sites, it looks like the entire trip will be having thunderstorms. This is putting quite a damper on trying to get excited for my trip. Any suggestions?
    heh: "damper." Good one.

You're coming from Seattle. I think you know what to do: get in your car and jam up traffic like every other Seattlite does!

Wear clothes you don't mind getting wet. Do not wear anything new that might have some runnable dye in it. Fold-up ponchos in ziplocs.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When it rains is one of the best times because a lot of people leave the parks to go hide in their hotels. Play in the rain! Yeah the outdoor rides probably won't be running, but most of Disney's rides/attractions/shows are indoors. Most character meet & greets are indoors or under cover now too.

Summer is Florida's rainy season. I also suggest bookmarking the site below and checking it EVERY DAY. It's the 10 day WDW forecast. Seriously though, the weather forecast can change on a daily and sometimes hourly basis down here. Basically our state motto should be: "Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes."

10 Day Weather Forecast for The Walt Disney World Resort - weather.com