Hey there, I live in California and have been to Disneyland about a million times, but I've never been to Florida! My family joined DVC this year and are planning our first trip to WDW. There are a lot of things I don't know about the parks, and I'd appreciate some advice! Numbered for answering convenience:
1. Out of all times of year, what is best (considering crowds, attractions/shows, weather, etc?) I'm out of school so we don't have to go in the summer.
2. My mom is paranoid about hurricanes. Is this historically a logical thing to worry about? Should we rule out certain times of year because of this?
3. Carousel of Progress - is it really a seasonal attraction? I really want to go on it. If we don't go in summer, is it likely to be closed?
4. DVC lets you switch hotels. We were going to do that... stay at corresponding hotels on the days we're going to that park. How many days for each resort, if we're there a week? Is there a park you'd save for last?
5. We were going to allow 1 day for all of Universal, is that madness? It seems like the only good bits are ET and Harry Potter, or are there other great things there? (I'm interested mainly in dark rides, unless there are some really dazzling coasters or shows.)
6. What attractions close in the rain if we choose a colder season?
7. What restaurants are must-eats? Concerned more with decor/theming than the food, although good food is good.
8. How inconvenient is traveling between the hotels and the parks? Which grant the easiest access to each park?
9. What experiences might be limited to weekends if we go in the off-season?
10. Any random first-timer tips we might not have heard? Good times to get on rides, easter eggs to look out for, favorite park traditions, etc?