Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• #bringevilback

Car Rental...day or week?

For my Feb 2-6 trip I have decided that I want to do a rental car for my 1/2 day at USF so I don't have to rely on a shuttle and wasting time with stops along the way or worry about figuring out my departure time.

My current dilemma is do I just get a rental car for the entire time? It's basically $45 for one day or $130 for the whole trip. I had been planning on taking DME to the airport and buses to the parks, but for $85 is it worth it to just have a car handy? I have a premier pass so parking won't cost any extra, and I do plan to hop every day. If I got a car I'd stop on the way in and pick up snacks, but it's not essential. I'm not checking a bag, just traveling with a carry on.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by CassiefRN; 12-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Car Rental...day or week?

Tough call.

Have you been to WDW before, so you know your way around? It's rather nice to leave the driving to them, and perhaps a reason for you to check your bag so it gets delivered from your airport to your room, and back again when you use DME.

You still need the car for USO. But it is also quicker to get around WDW with a car than waiting for the buses. Parking is free for onsite quests at the hotels and parks. You could also use the car to keep your extra clothing in too or quickly run back to your room for a change.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• #bringevilback

This is my first trip, so I am unfamiliar with the layout. I do see all the benefits you point out...that's why I am struggling with the decision! Does having your own car save significant time for travel between parks and/or back to the hotel? It's a low crowd time, so will bus wait times even be an issue?

plus I am arriving at 530 am, so I'm guessing there wouldn't be a wait for DME, unless it's waiting for additional guests to fill the bus...?

• Under that tree again!

At DME they do wait for the buses to fill, not completely but you may be the first one on and have to wait 30 minutes to leave. Also depending on your resort you may be the first off, or go to a couple other resorts before your stop. If you pick up a car it's going to take time too, and it can be tricky driving around WDW the first time so you could get lost. Then need to park the car.

As far as going park to park, it take almost an hour on the Disney Transport. The parking lots are huge so it can take a long time to park and get to a gate, 10-15 minutes, so as much as 45 to hop by car. Though to MK it's always better by bus, because the parking is across the lagoon so you have to boat or monorail the gates.

The buses at WDW come within 20 minutes so it really depends on when you showed up, a minute late or a minute early.

PS what resort are you stating at and how many people? Do you drink?
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• #bringevilback

I'm going solo and staying at POP, and occasional drinking, nothing close to impairing driving.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I'm going solo and staying at POP, and occasional drinking, nothing close to impairing driving.
    I was going to mention the Tables in Wonderland Card since you have a pass but since you buy this card a single person over a few days won't eat or drink enough saving 20% to cover the $100 cost of the card.

I asked about resort because there are some tricks to getting to some parks from some resorts. Such as walking to the MK from the Contemporary, and walking to Epcot from the Boardwalk or Yatch club. You can bus to those resorts and walk to those parks.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• #bringevilback

Yeah, I looked into TiW but there's no way I'd make it worthwhile, especially since I'm not a big eater. I'm really only doing one TS meal a day and maybe a counter service or snack

Yeah, there's nothing near POP, but I went for cheap since I'm only sleeping there, and not even doing much of that! I have to cram everything, including WWoHP into 4.5 days!

• Under that tree again!

How do you plan to get a car? Which half day is your Uni day?
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• #bringevilback

My USF day is #3, Tuesday, and I was planning on picking it up late afternoon from the car care center on Monday and returning when I get back, if I did the day option, otherwise I'd be renting from the airport

• Pilot EdForceOne

This is easy... if the car is available.. take it.

For DME vs car... DME is less involved.. no question. Is it as efficient? Probably a wash. But your investment here will pay off later..

Car rules for park hopping... only time you may want to skip the car is MK because the buses are more direct.

Finding your way around property is so easy a caveman could do it. The signs don't always take you the most efficient way, but they will get you there pain free. The drive from the airport is harder than anything on property.. and that is only a matter of which of two paths to take.

While there are a few trade-offs..

walking from parking (but walking to the buses isn't always close either..)
    time for getting to car/tram - easily bests any wait for buses over the course of your trip
    carefree vs responsibility - the ability to 'control your own destiny' will outweigh the buses easily

The only thing that makes me question it is your choice of dates. The parks will be DEAD during this time... so you won't be dealing with crowded buses. In the same grain, you should be able to park close

I would probably make the choice based on how comfortable you are driving. Some people find driving stressful... while others enjoy it. I would make your choice based on how you feel about driving in general. Having a car on property is FAR more convenient... but some prefer the 'hands off' approach buses give you.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• #bringevilback

Thanks so much! I love driving and am from Anaheim, so I'm used to driving in traffic on both streets and freeways, and I do enjoy having my freedom/control over what I'm doing (hence going solo...no one to drag around or worry about keeping up with me!) so I think I'll go with the week rental.

So, flynnibus, dead parks...should I not worry about being limited with FP+ if they remove paper FP in any more parks? I'm started each day at RD and hopping to a second park for my FP +, so should I be able to get most things into my 4.5 days?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    So, flynnibus, dead parks...should I not worry about being limited with FP+ if they remove paper FP in any more parks? I'm started each day at RD and hopping to a second park for my FP +, so should I be able to get most things into my 4.5 days?
    Riding all the rides you should be able to do without any problem at all.. the parks are rated as 1-2 out of 10 on touringplans for those days. I doubt you'll even use FP much.. or at least be able to ignore it when you want and not lose too much. Your FP+ for later in the day is a good plan. The only tradeoff of this period is the shorter park hours. Offset that maybe making a late dinner ressie at one of the hotels instead of eating during park hours.

The challenge (as always with WDW) is the exploration and seeing things beyond the rides themselves. That type of stuff is a matter of a person's personal pace and simply take a long long time to explore all the possibilities.

What I would do is pick a topic you'd like to explore more.. say.. restaurants.. or hotels.. shows.. or detail hunting.. and make a concerted effort to make time for those. WDW is BIG.. don't race from spot to spot and gloss over what's inbetween. Doing so will lessen your trip because at the core.. DLR and WDW have much the same in terms of attractions. It's all the 'filler' around that makes WDW worth it's size.

I would definitely try to make ressies for a few of the unique table dining experiences.. just to soak in the experience. Just like 1 a day or every other day.. depending on your budget and touring plan. Pick ones with fun unique aspects.. like the Drive-in, Be Our Guest, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• #bringevilback

I have ADRs at BOG, sci fi dine in, and mama melrose (fantasmic dining package) and am planning on snacking around the world for my epcot evening or maybe doing coral reef. Because I can park hop my earliest evening will be 9pm, unless I call it a night after Fantasmic, which runs at 7, and that will depend on if I still have more things to hit in MK (close at 10) and how I'm feeling, since it is going to be a crazy week! I fly red eye Saturday night and am planning on being in MK from 8a-midnight Sunday (probably a quick nap when my room if available!) then up for AM EMH Monday morning! I can sleep when I get home!

• Under that tree again!

Going Solo you will cover the parks quickly. The parks are big but they don't have many attractions in them. Think of it like this, could you do every attraction in DL in one day, how about in the smaller DCA? It's a lot easier to cover all of DCA, and basically you are going to bigger parks with less attractions than DCA. At WDW the parks have even less rides, but more show attractions and lots of walk around exhibits. Test Track and Everest both have single rider.

At Epcot you may want the flexibility of eating on the fly. Coral Reef is good, but at the front of the park, and Epcot is GIANT so you could spend a lot of time just walking to make your ADR. There is plenty of counter service with the variety of several nations, it's a fine place to snack.

If you haven't figured this out at Epcot the Future World in the front opens with park opening. World Showcase opens 2 hours later.

I hope you sleep on the plane or can nap easily. If you wonder around tired you won't feel as good and won't enjoy as much. The good news coming from the West is you get there, stay up later than the east coasters and go to bed at your normal bed time. You should make it from MCO to your hotel to check in and drop your bag at the bag check, and to the MK just fine for opening.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

•   
    • Minion

I would get the car the whole time. I have done WDW both ways and for me you save lots of time with a car. The bus system is ok at best IMO for getting around. Also if you stay at the parks till they close the buses can be very painful. Same with in the morning hen the parks open. The layout of the resort to me was very easy to figure out. You also get free parking if you are staying on property. If you want to try out the buses I would suggest as flynn did above and do it for the MK. Or if you are going to drink a lot anywhere obviously use their transportation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast