• Fit Cat

Questionable Vacation Packages

Just wanted to get some input from the community. I had a telemarketer call and direct me to his company's website...

magicaldreamscapes

Of course, he was talking about how time is running out, blah, blah, blah, and I had to act quickly (NOT!). The price quoted on the website is $1,795. The guy on the phone is talking in the neighborhood of $200, both of which seem a bit outrageous given what they say you get. There is the obligatory sales pitch for time shares or whatever it was.

My question is this... Are any of these things serious in any way? Has anyone been burned or aggravated beyond all reason by attending one of these things? Any input would be appreciated. I'm all about taking a vacation, but the "weirdness" factor really bothers me.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-04-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: link removed
    -Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Questionable Vacation Packages

I would never give money to a telemarketer selling packages. Some friends of mine did this many years ago - and arrived to Florida, with no place to stay.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I would never give money to a telemarketer selling packages. Some friends of mine did this many years ago - and arrived to Florida, with no place to stay.
    Do not go with a telemarketer. Call Disney directly at 407-W-Disney and book your package with them. They know all the packages inside and out and will give you the best package to suit your families needs.

• making magic is fun!

I have to agree with the others. This isnt a safe way to go and you could end up with no place to stay. When it comes to booking a package and getting a great deal there are plenty of reputable places to go.

Good Luck
    Kelly

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Do not go with a telemarketer. Call Disney directly at 407-W-Disney and book your package with them. They know all the packages inside and out and will give you the best package to suit your families needs.
    I would not call Disney first. They are reservations sales agents, and generally are going to try to put you into a pricey package.

I'd go to Mousesavers, Allears, etc. - get an idea of what you want first, before booking anything. i.e. - do you really need the water park ticket? Likely not, but the Disney agent might try to sell you on it. Do you need insurance? That is an assumptive sell, they will usually try adding it on, and if you pay the deposit - you are stuck. The dining plan? In most cases, I think this years version is not a good deal. Run the numbers first before deciding. I did TA work for 6 years, and respected that everyone has a limited amount of funds, and made sure that guests weren't paying more than they needed to.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• making magic is fun!

Again I would agree. When you call Disney they always add the insurance unless you say you dont want it. Also with the dining plan you really need to look at where you want to eat and how your family eats. The plan no longer includes the tip and the appetizer but the price only went down 1.00. Only you know if its whats right for your family.
    Kelly

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvdisney View Post
    Again I would agree. When you call Disney they always add the insurance unless you say you dont want it. Also with the dining plan you really need to look at where you want to eat and how your family eats. The plan no longer includes the tip and the appetizer but the price only went down 1.00. Only you know if its whats right for your family.
    The nice thing is, there is information everywhere. It pays to be informed. The loss on the current DDP could be as much as $20.00 per person on some days (losing the tip and appetizer) over last year. A lot of people still say that they like having the meal plan prepaid so they don't have to worry about money. But the tips aren't included, so you still need to have cash or a CC.

Also, many people use the credits for character breakfasts. It never pays to do that anymore. It is nearly impossible to get the moneys worth on the plan by doing that.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• making magic is fun!

Even before they changed the plan we never used them for breakfast as they usually were not a good value for the dollar. I like to read reviews of what others think about the dining plan and how they make it work for them. While I know people like to have everything pre-paid its not always cost effective. I have had alot of clients coming back and as soon as they sit down they are being asked how they want to handle the tip by cash or cc and it really makes them feel uncomfortable. I would not be happy with that at all. I have AP and the DDE it just makes more sense for us.
    Kelly