• I'm not new any more...

New York City - Coney Island?

Iíd like some advice from NYC savvy Micechatters, please.

Iím going to New York City at the end of this month for a business meeting. Iíll have all day Sunday free to explore. Iíve been to NYC once before in the late 80ís with a friend. We did the Statue of Liberty, a Broadway play, Times Square, took a Grey line tour that went from Battery Park to Harlem, saw Central Park, went to the Museum of Natural History and did some shopping.

So this time with my free day, Iím thinking about taking the subway to Coney Island. My question isÖ.is Coney Island worth a day trip? I thought I might go to the Aquarium also while I was there since they look like they are right next to each other on the map.

Iíd probably be going by myself since my co-workers are more interested in shopping and will probably want to stay in Manhattan.

Iím really interested in seeing whatís around Manhattan and not just whatís in the city.

So hereís my question: Is Coney Island a worthwhile visit? Should I be concerned about going there by myself, translated Ė is it safe? Is the Aquarium a neat place to go?

Thanks in advance!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Re: New York City - Coney Island?

I can't help you much but I have about the same question - I would like to know how to get to Coney Island from Penn Station.What subways do we take?

But I am interested in learning what all there is to do there!

(Sorry to glom onto your thread!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/subsch.htm
    Go to the New York City transit web page, rest your mouse on NYC Transit/Travel/Trip Planner. It's a great interactive site that you can put in where you are starting from and where you want to go. It gives you what station to start at, which train to take and how long it will take you to get to your destination.

That's how I figured out that it would take me almost an hour to get from our hotel to Coney Island.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It has been a couple of years, but to be blunt, Coney Island is a dump. I have not been to the aquarium. Besides the Cyclone, the rides at the parks on the boardwalk are just your standard carnival fare. When I was there the water in a flume ride was actually brown. I went to ride the Cyclone and eat a hot dog at Nathan's, and I had no desire to stay around after that.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KWood View Post
    http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/subsch.htm
    Go to the New York City transit web page, rest your mouse on NYC Transit/Travel/Trip Planner. It's a great interactive site that you can put in where you are starting from and where you want to go. It gives you what station to start at, which train to take and how long it will take you to get to your destination.

That's how I figured out that it would take me almost an hour to get from our hotel to Coney Island.
    WOW... I use that site frequently for my train but I had no lcue that they had that feature! thank you so much!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

You're welcome. I have way too much free time at work sometimes.

lazyboy970, thanks for your input. That was kind of the idea that I had gotten from another website, that the area was kind of a dump.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Frankly, if you only have one day...there are better things to see on Manhattan then out on the boroughs. If you like roller coasters, Coney Island can be fun--but truly, it is like like Vieux Carre in New Orleans. More of a dump then you realize.

Heck, I'd just go from one restaurant to another through the Villiage. BUt that's me.

Times Square is fun; the museums around NYC are FANATASTIC. And shopping is worth the time to just browse. Macy's anyone?

You'll love NY.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Thanks Roo. I'm getting the impression that Coney Island had it's heyday, but it's long past that now.

I guess I'll just go with the flow and tag along with my co-workers to do whatever they want that day.

I am definitely going to the World of Disney store though. With or without anyone. It's only a couple of blocks from our hotel so that will be nice.

Thanks again!

• back in Austin

I moved to NYC in April and as it turns out, I've been to Coney Island three times already! The first time was just to see it and ride the N train from start to finish (I live in Astoria near the other end of the N line which goes to Coney Island). The second time was to check out the Mermaid parade. This most recent time was because friends were in town who wanted to go there.

I can concur that Coney Island is fairly shabby and is probably a shadow of its former self, but I've had fun every time I've gone there. It's not dangerous, no. Thing is, now that Astroland is the only park left, there's not so much for adults to do. The whole place is very kid-centric in terms of the rides, and can be surprisingly expensive if you plan to ride many rides there.

The Cyclone is definitely fun to ride and packs quite a punch for being such an old, historic wooden roller coaster. I haven't been on the big Ferris wheel yet. Other than some standard carny "spinny" rides, there's not much more for adults to do, ride-wise. I'm a big fan of dark rides, so I went on Dante's Inferno on my second visit. It cost $5 to go on this ride and it was a HUGE disappointment. More care has gone into the facade of the attraction than has gone into the content of it. I'm guessing it was very different when it was created.

I haven't been to the aquarium yet, so I can't say if that's interesting or not. It's fun that there's a really long boardwalk that's actually a boardwalk, stretching way up the beach. The Coney Island Sideshow is interesting. Not too many places where you can see a "freak show," but I think I might concur with the others that if you have just one day in NYC you might do better to spend it elsewhere.

Here's the deal. If you're headed to Brooklyn anyway, it's definitely fun to hang out at Coney Island for part of a day and see a historic playground before it goes bye-bye for good. It's not worth a whole day trip, but if you're already headed to places like the Transit Museum, you should swing by.