Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm with Mr. Big!

Maui travel tips

Hey MiceChatters! My boyfriend and I are going to Maui in August. Can you give me Maui travel tips? What are the can't-miss activities that we should do? Do you know of a good luau? Any any all advice would be great. Thank you so much! Aloha!
    "Can't sing but I've got soul." -U2

"I've got soul, but i'm not a soldier" -The Killers

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Maui travel tips

Mt. Haleakala is a must. Sunrise is the best time to go, but if that's too early, at least be sure to be there no later than 9am-10am as it clouds up quickly.

The Road to Hana is TOO long of a trip there and back. I did it once and won't do it again. I suggest going about a 1/4 of the way and there's a rain forest park area. Walk around the trails there.

I've never done a luau, mostly because I can't see spending that kind of money for food I probably wouldn't enjoy, sitting at a table with 8 other strangers asking "where do you live? what do you do for a living?". Instead, might I suggest a sunset dinner cruise. Good food, unlimited cocktails, a show and a gorgeous sunset (weather permitting of course). I've done 3 or 4 and just LOVE sunset dinner cruises.

Relax!! If you are at a resort, spend a whole day by the pool, relaxing, having lunch and drinks brought to your chaise lounges by the staff. Get pampered. Ya gotta get out there early though to stake the best claim though. Like between 8am-9am.

And most of all have fun!

• Workin to live,lovin life

Personally, when I go on vacation to Hawaii, I always try not to eat the same food that I can get in California. No Mc Donalds unless it's the Local style foods. I've never been to Maui yet, so I can't get into specifics.

Bring TONS of sunblock/ buy it and don't forget to reapply!!!

Respect the locals, and everyone else, and don't act like a "drunk tourist".

Hiking is beautiful, and you might want to try kayaking too. I've been told that there's a great little river that you can go from the ocean all the way to the waterfalls.

Snorkelling is almost on par with the Caribbean, but you'll see fish in Hawaii that you can't see anywhere else!

Try the shave ice there... it's great! Just be aware that it rains regularly there, but it's no reason to bring full rain gear of course. If it's bad, buy cheap stuff there.

One more thing about traveling, bring old clothes that you don't want anymore and donate them after you wear them to bed or in your hotel. This opens up so much space in your luggage for things to bring home!

• I'm with Mr. Big!

Thank you so much for your advice. O'Nut and Wreckless. I really appreciate it. I'm going to research a sunset cruise and the kayaking. They sound amazing. O'Nut, thanks for your advice about Hana. I've been very reluctant to spend 10 hours in a car on vacation. I'm up for driving 1/4 of the way. And Wreckless, I have two bottles of sunscreen, so I'm ready! Thanks again!
    "Can't sing but I've got soul." -U2

"I've got soul, but i'm not a soldier" -The Killers

There's a travel guide book (ok, there are lots, but this is the one we liked) called Maui Revealed. I can't remember everything we liked from it, but they recommended a great boat for a snorkeling trip to Molokini and it was the high light of our trip, mostly because the boat crew was fabulous.

We actually stayed the night in Hana at Hamoa Bay House & Bungalow, it was awesome. The bungalow has an outdoor tub and shower, completeley surrounded by forest except for the view of the ocean. Very romantic (if I wasn't there with my mother, ha ha).

• Workin to live,lovin life

Oh yeah, before I forget, the waterfalls are AMAZING in Hawaii. Supposedly, they're having a drought there, but you wouldn't notice with how many water falls are going... I guess the mountains are usually pouring with water coming off of them?

And careful with the Sunscreen on the plane! I had one bottle pop in my check-in luggage. Luckily it was in a zip lock bag, but got all over the rest of my Sunscreen.

And if you can find Garlic Shrimp (if you're not allergic and you like shrimp), Hawaii has the best! Please note that a lot of the best food doesn't take credit card there, cash only. And they're usually in the "country-side".

•   
    • Senior Minion

Avoid Kihei.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Avoid Kihei.
    Why avoid Kihei.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    The Road to Hana is TOO long of a trip there and back. I did it once and won't do it again. I suggest going about a 1/4 of the way and there's a rain forest park area. Walk around the trails there.
    I second this advice. The road to Hana is well worth it but don't be dead set on getting to the 7 pools. There is plenty to see along the way. If you must get to the 7 pools leave very early. I recall stopping at a couple of waterfalls, a black sand beack and picking guavas.

You'll love it and have fun!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Lahaina has some great restaurants and shopping.

It's touristy, but the Sugar Cane Train is fun to do if you've never done it.

And I agree on not eating at chain restaurants or fast food (if you can avoid it). You're in Hawaii, eat at someplace different!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Maui travel tips

I don't know why so many act like it's a huge ordeal to drive to Hana. We spent a fun day driving there, taking a flight in a motorized hang glider (this was great), going to the black sand beach, going to the red sand beach (you have to really search this one out) the seven [sic] sacred [sic] pools, and returned along the south side of the island (that road is an ordeal).

If there are rocks leading into the water, they will continue underwater, and that means prime snorkeling. You can also take a trip to Molokini. If you really like it underwater, take a resort course in SCUBA. You'll get basic training, then a dive with an instructor always by your side, but won't be certified at the end.

We've stayed in Kehei twice with no complaints. It's a good central location to base yourself, though not the best beaches.

If you like wandering on land, take a visit to the Iao Needle.

Sunset at Haleakala is scheduled at a much more convenient time than sunrise. I've seen one of each, and the sunset was far more spectacular.

This can vary from day to day of course, but you really don't have to go up the mountain in the middle of the night. If there's someone not into hiking in your party, but others enjoy it, then you can have a great 12 mile hike into the crater from the summit, and then leave it to a spot at a lower elevation where you can be met.

My 3 favorite places in the world are DL, Yosemite and Maui; have fun.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
    • Senior Minion

I almost forgot, avoid Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina, like the plague.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I second this advice. The road to Hana is well worth it but don't be dead set on getting to the 7 pools. There is plenty to see along the way. If you must get to the 7 pools leave very early. I recall stopping at a couple of waterfalls, a black sand beack and picking guavas.

You'll love it and have fun!

I got married at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Hana in 1990. Hana is really a beautiful spot.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    I don't know why so many act like it's a huge ordeal to drive to Hana. We spent a fun day driving there, taking a flight in a motorized hang glider (this was great), going to the black sand beach, going to the red sand beach (you have to really search this one out) the seven [sic] sacred [sic] pools, and returned along the south side of the island (that road is an ordeal).

If there are rocks leading into the water, they will continue underwater, and that means prime snorkeling. You can also take a trip to Molokini. If you really like it underwater, take a resort course in SCUBA. You'll get basic training, then a dive with an instructor always by your side, but won't be certified at the end.

We've stayed in Kehei twice with no complaints. It's a good central location to base yourself, though not the best beaches.

If you like wandering on land, take a visit to the Iao Needle.

Sunset at Haleakala is scheduled at a much more convenient time than sunrise. I've seen one of each, and the sunset was far more spectacular.

This can vary from day to day of course, but you really don't have to go up the mountain in the middle of the night. If there's someone not into hiking in your party, but others enjoy it, then you can have a great 12 mile hike into the crater from the summit, and then leave it to a spot at a lower elevation where you can be met.

My 3 favorite places in the world are DL, Yosemite and Maui; have fun.
    ralfrick-I have been to Maui three times and I loved all the things you have discussed from your quote. The Hana drive was so much fun IMO, spending all day swimming in the waterfalls and just enjoying the scenery.

Molokini is a must. I was scared at first to snorkle but I really enjoyed swimming with the fish. That was my best experience ever in Maui.

I also did a dinner cruise out in the ocean. That was so much fun.

And I love your picture ralfrick. I have yet to see Haleakala.

• insufferable know-it-all

You haven't said where you're staying. Are you going to be in Ka'anapali (if not, be sure to visit - great snorkeling at Black Rock!), or Lahaina, or where?

My Maui experiences have always centered around Ka'anapali. If you're not staying there, you can always visit it. There's a shopping center called Whaler's Village with great restaurant options. Hula Grill is right up at the front of the beach end, as is Leilani's (which has a nice restaurant upstairs, and a beach bar downstairs). Also, consider having breakfast one day at the Westin. It's just a beautiful spot.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast