Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Animation Domination

Re: Photos of abandoned amusement parks

Film makers like directors should look for these abandoned parks for their scary movies.

Egads! That pic of the girl imitating falling off the boat ride is C R E E P Y.

With so many of these abandoned parks in Japan it does make me wonder why we haven't seen a horror film incorporating one of these parks. It gives me chills just thinking about running thru one of them.....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

these are both excellent ideas i know i'd be down for a great japanese horror flick based in a deserted amusement park...couldn't possibly be worse than Horrorfest's Dark Ride
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Animation Domination

elly Wrote:

these are both excellent ideas i know i'd be down for a great japanese horror flick based in a deserted amusement park...couldn't possibly be worse than Horrorfest's Dark Ride
    Let's see what is safer to be at an abandoned parks or abandoned store...let's to the abandoned park!!!

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    elly Wrote:

Let's see what is safer to be at an abandoned parks or abandoned store...let's to the abandoned park!!!
    No need to be so down on Old Man Abandoned's businesses since he also has zoos and mines as well

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Hey all! I just found this and thought I'd share it.
    Thanks, it's truly fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Pretty crazy what nature will do to reclaim an area, even with such hallowed ground as an amusement park, eh?
    As much as I love the Disney parks and many others, I wouldn't put anything above nature. Actually, it's kind of a comfort, in a strange way, to see nature reclaiming what humankind has abandoned; comforting but depressing at the same time. It sure takes a while, though, as things like major Mayan structures are still discovered from time to time, hidden under dense foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Wow those pictures are really creepy!! They should really just tear these places down.
    Well, doing so would have to be economically feasible. These places will most likely be torn down by developers working on a new project on the site (if that ever happens). In the meantime, I think they're neat as real (as opposed to artistic), organic "memento mori"--reminders that all things must pass.

On the other hand, because of abandoned facilities/settlements, we have things like Knott's Berry Farm's Ghost Town, which has been considerably livened up...for the time being....

Quote Originally Posted by Craigroy8287 View Post
    It looks like something out of a horror movie.
    Or a Dean Koontz novel (I recall him actually using such a setting in at least one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    Thank you so much for this. It really makes you contemplate and reflect on the world around you.
    Don't contemplate too much, though--it can be depressing. For example, even the Earth is not going to be around forever, although it will be rendered uninhabitable long before it is destroyed. I'm not talking about what we humans might be doing, but looking farther into the future when the Sun will become much, much hotter. In geologic terms, our species has only been given a small window of time to exist, whether we destroy ourselves or not. Who knows, though--it may be possible to save the Earth in the future if we can move it. Yep, this is what I think about every time I look at planetary nebulae through my telescope. But I digress....

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    aw, the abandoned carousel pictures are SO sad! I just wanna rescue those ponies!
    By the way, Disneyland's King Arthur Carrousel was rescued from a defunct amusement park in Canada (in heavily modified form).

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    You know, it would be a fascinating but thoroughly depressing contest to get people with serious PhotoShop skills to do up some photos of Disneyland to try to imagine what it would be like if it were somehow abandoned for 30 years: rusting metal, faded and peeling paint, plants coming up through cracks, ivy overtaking buildings and stuff starting to fall over. Kind of like I Am Legend.
    Wasn't the management already doing this for real not so long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I know, I know. Too depressing. Sorry to even think of such a thing!
    Why, you sick little puppy! Just kidding, I think it would be interesting but too morbid for anyone to want to put much effort into such a project (unless it's for a movie or computer game). That's alright, however, because you can almost get your wish at the following page:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/japan2004/nara1.htm

This park, Nara Dreamland (or as I call it, Bizarro Disneyland), was open (barely) at the time of this review, but has since closed for good. It already looks quite run-down, so have "fun" imagining this as Disneyland's future.

By the way, my favorite picture is the second from the bottom of the first page because of the combination of elements that should be unique to Disneyland. There actually used to be a submarine lagoon there, too, right where you'd expect it to be. And the fact that the monorail is on the opposite side of the station only enhances the "Bizarro" or "Twilight Zone" nature of this park. It's all just so...skewed...and wrong in every sense of the word. I can't decide which is creepier, this weird, alternate-universe copy of Disneyland or envisioning an abandoned Disneyland, but we don't have to choose with Nara Dreamland--we get both kinds of creepiness!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    http://www.themeparkreview.com/japan2004/nara1.htm

This park, Nara Dreamland (or as I call it, Bizarro Disneyland), was open (barely) at the time of this review, but has since closed for good. It already looks quite run-down, so have "fun" imagining this as Disneyland's future.
    Does anyone know if Nara Dreamland was torn down yet, or is it now an abandoned amusement park itself? (Instead of just LOOKING like one)

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Does anyone know if Nara Dreamland was torn down yet, or is it now an abandoned amusement park itself? (Instead of just LOOKING like one)
    The park closed in August 2006, and at least as of sometime in 2008, it's still sitting there, yet another abandoned park:

Satellite image of Nara Dreamland

I've heard that a developer has acquired the property and that it will eventually be demolished for housing, but have no real confirmation as of this time.

By the way, note how its entrance is to the east and slightly to the north (just to be safe)--even good Feng Shui couldn't save the park in the end.

Here are some more pictures apparently taken within the past several years:

http://www.disney-i.com/ndl/index.html
    http://www.disney-i.com/ndl/index2.html

Here is a page focusing on Dreamland's monorail:

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Nara.html

In happier times, Nara Dreamland was very popular, and also a lot more like Disneyland--both as a rip-off and more generally as a highly-themed, albeit comparatively cheap, park--than it is today, as you can see in the following pages:

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/dream41833/dream29.htm (Machine-translated to English)
    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/dream41833/dream30.htm (Machine-translated to English)

http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2...dreamland.html
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 07-30-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks for the links! I don't know why, but that place fascinates me. I think it's the whole Bizarro Disneyland aspect to it. I wish I could have gone there while it was still open.

One of the links gave this bonus aerial shot, from back when it still had the submarines:
    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/dream41833/dkp09.JPG

It looks like it was comparatively nice and fairly popular, even after Disneyland Tokyo opened, then slid downhill rapidly in recent years before it was closed. I wonder what happened? (And why am I tempted to joke "Cedar Fair"?) Well... it does look like they took out some theming and put in unthemed rollercoasters, but some of those look like they've been there since the seventies, so I wonder what happened recently that made it so creepily crappy? I mean, really, a walk-through Fantasy coaster?? There's a story there, somewhere.

• The line's too long...

Why didn't Disney every sue them? Or at least OLC? I know the Japanese legal system is byzantine, but still... it's such a blatant copy of DL.

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

whoah. Thats cool but a little scary too.
    Imagine if Disneyland was like that. Ooof! Scary!

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

• Halloween 2011

I too am fascinated by photos of abandoned parks, not sure why. I've seen a photo series of the PTL Club's themepark Heritage USA http://illicitohio.com/SBNO/heritage/heritage01.html Tammy Faye made a touching return visit in "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" and practically broke down in tears over the decay. True, Tammy Faye was no stranger to tears, but since she presided over everything when it was spanking new and pretty I imagined it might be like Walt's reaction if he returned to his parks and found them abandoned.

Anyway, I recently discovered that Sid & Marty Kroft of Saturday morning cartoons once had a themepark, the country's first indoor park, in Atlanta. It only lasted 6 months before closing its doors. Interestingly, the building now houses CNN's Atlanta studios.
    http://members.aol.com/interama/krofft.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wor...d_Marty_Krofft

It looks like it was comparatively nice and fairly popular, even after Disneyland Tokyo opened, then slid downhill rapidly in recent years before it was closed. I wonder what happened?
    There are so many failed amusement parks all around the world, which is indicative of the razor-thin margins on which most operate. Sometimes a rapid decline really means that the investors just can't take year after year of operating losses from a slow decline anymore--their patience and/or capital have run out. Nara Dreamland could also be viewed as a cautionary tale about the fine line that theme parks like Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm have to walk between keeping up with the times and staying true to themselves (a bit of a stretch, but maybe it's true).

Japan appears to have more than its fair share of abandoned parks, and its economy has been in a slump for many years now (Americans would consider it a chronic, nightmare recession). During such times, places like Tokyo Disneyland, backed by a powerful name and image in addition to quality, can still flourish while "lesser" parks--particularly imitators I would think--would suffer. When wallets get tight, people tend to stick with what they like best and ignore alternatives (relatively speaking). These are just guesses, by the way.

(And why am I tempted to joke "Cedar Fair"?)
    Since you mentioned them, I just took a look at their annual reports, which seem to indicate a pretty successful, profitable, up-and-coming company (as amusement park companies go). The main problem they have at the moment is a result of their rapid growth: the acquisition of Paramount's struggling parks has netted them an operating loss for 2007 (their first annual loss) and forced them to close one of these newly acquired parks.

What's really interesting about this, however, is comparing their numbers to those of Disney and, WOW...Disney makes a hell of a lot more money from their smaller number of parks! While this was hardly unexpected, the difference is even far greater than I would have thought (compensating for the seasonal nature of most of Cedar Fair's parks hardly makes a dent). Therefore, as we all know implicitly anyway, Disney has absolutely no excuses whatsoever regarding maintenance (safety) and general upkeep, given that their profit is several times larger than Cedar Fair's revenue.

Well... it does look like they took out some theming and put in unthemed rollercoasters
    That sounds like Cedar Fair, alright, regarding the sad plight of Knott's Berry Farm as a true theme park. Even the most expensive, world-class, unthemed rollercoasters cost a fraction of what a major new Disney-style attraction would cost, and parks need new toys to keep people coming through their gates. I think it's possible to keep providing new and worthy themed experiences at a lower cost than Disney, but Cedar Fair is not the company to do it. Even with summer crowds still packing into KBF, the park it once was is gradually fading away, showing us that there is more than one way for a park to die.

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jsdmn2 View Post
    Egads! That pic of the girl imitating falling off the boat ride is C R E E P Y.

Creepy yes but for me disrespectful also. Loved the pics of the wooden rollercoaster.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123