Legoland: Copying SoCal Theme Park Attractions?

I know Legoland's been going through some struggling times, with other local theme park destinations stealing the spotlight. But lately it seems like Legoland's been pumping out new rides--but they all seem to be copies of other theme parks and movies! For example, when Pirates of the Caribbean III: At World's End was released, Legoland opened the new "Pirate Shores" area, complete with a slow-moving boat-themed water-submerged ride. And just now, as "Toy Story Mania" and "Indiana Jones" are released, Legoland opens a new shooting attractions on "all-terrain roadsters".

What scares me though is that a lot of people are actually falling for it; they think that the new rides are being planned by Disney or that Legoland is run by Disney.

Is it just me or is Legoland being designed by a bunch of unimaginative suits?
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• FastPass n00b

Re: Legoland: Copying SoCal Theme Park Attractions?

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    I know Legoland's been going through some struggling times, with other local theme park destinations stealing the spotlight. But lately it seems like Legoland's been pumping out new rides--but they all seem to be copies of other theme parks and movies! For example, when Pirates of the Caribbean III: At World's End was released, Legoland opened the new "Pirate Shores" area, complete with a slow-moving boat-themed water-submerged ride. And just now, as "Toy Story Mania" and "Indiana Jones" are released, Legoland opens a new shooting attractions on "all-terrain roadsters".

What scares me though is that a lot of people are actually falling for it; they think that the new rides are being planned by Disney or that Legoland is run by Disney.

Is it just me or is Legoland being designed by a bunch of unimaginative suits?
    It's just a simple matter of a company riding Disney's coattails. If anything, Disney should be flattered that they are good enough to be copied. I think when you look at Legoland's target audience, they'll pretty much ride anything that makes noise and moves. I mean, Legoland has just about the easiest audience the please, the 1-12 year old age group!

The Indiana Jones ride is REALLY lame. It's a cheap knockoff of Toy Story Mania and Legoland is a lot better than this...at least they used to be. The entire pirate area is really lame too. Not only are they riding someone's coattails, they aren't even doing a very good job of it.

• The Dudester

LEGOLAND actually took a poll of park guests to decide the theme of the new area. It wasn't due to wanting to be like Disney. I give them credit for trying a dark ride, something they haven't done before. And Disney isn't the only park to make rides like that. It's like criticizing a park for having roller coasters. I do think Disney's shooting rides are much better, but it's certainly not a knock on LEGOLAND's ride. I'll give you the Pirate thing... Pirates are extremely popular, due in large part to Disney's movie. But they didn't copy their movie or their ride at all. They capitalized on a trend in children's interests, which is their demographic, and Pirate Shores has been the most popular area of the park (especially on hot days) ever since.

And your assessment that LEGOLAND is falling on hard times it completely wrong. Last year's attendance was a record for them, and this year is going according to budget, if not better, so far. I love Disney and I believe they are the ultimate theme park, but it sounds to me (from recent reports) and their attendance is suffering much more than LEGOLAND's.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Legoland: Copying SoCal Theme Park Attractions?

Shooting rides are not rare anymore; Santa Cruz has had one at the boardwalk for a few years.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The pirate area of the park is very cute. The "adventure" ride is incredibly lackluster, but I was surprised at how long the ride actually was. That made me feel a little better about waiting in line for it.

The Indiana Jones thing is weird. You can't beat the ride at DL, but Lego has such a strong tie-in to the brand with all of their product. I'm sure they weren't allowed to make a full-on Indiana Jones ride so they had to go with a watered down version instead. It's unfortunate for them that everyone has already been on Disney's version and can immediately make those connections and comparisons, and there is no way to compete with that.
    A signature should go here.

• Circle of Ancients

Shooting Dark Rides are nothing new, as has been said. Disney was actually quite behind the times on them.

The funniest thing though, if you ride the Dragon ride at Legoland, the beginning part is EXACTLY like the beginning of the Mummy ride at Universal Hollywood. But Dragon opened first.

• The line's too long...

The Lost Kingdom ride at Legoland is pretty good, as it does the job of having little ones have a good time on a ride that reminds them of Indiana Jones without being scary.
    The Pirate Shores area is really good on hot summer days, and the water areas are excellent. I wish Legoland would make a full-blown water park for families. The Splash Battle ride would be much better if the track was below water like a flume ride; the track just sticks too far out of the water and makes the ride a bit garish. The kiddie flume would be better with a better quality sheet metal that is not so jarring. Captain Cranky is an off-the-shelf flat ride vomit inducer but it is nicely themed. But the water play areas are great.
    Legoland is a wonderful family park.

• "I Break Things"

In honesty I haven't been to Legoland since 99... and I am not about to shell out the admission price for 2 Adults and 2 kids just to see how it's grown. If anyone has any pictures I would love to see them but that is about it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

^ We did the AP's there one year (they have the monthly installment deal) and we went I think 3 times. That was enough. I want to say this was in 2003/2004 (ish). We thought about renewing, but it's just too far of a drive for us. Disneyland is bad enough.

It's not a bad deal, and your kids are the PERFECT age for Legoland. Ours are a bit too old now I think.

• Sock Puppet

There are (or at least were recently) "free child with each paying adult" coupons available at some Dairy Queen / Supercuts / Burger King locations.