Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

The Train Show 7-19

I want to start this by saying I do not follow the world of model trains, I had an HO one as a kid but I haven't played with them since I was about 11. I actually went to the show specifically because of the Lego exhibit (7,000 sq ft advertised) but ended up enjoying the overall show and not just that specific detail. The show was at the Anaheim Convention center, we could have parked there or in the surrounding area, but I'm cheap, so we used our Disney parking pass and walked! So... here's the show.

One minor complaint is that the ticket for the show were cash only, forcing a rather long line at the ATM. I would have needed cash to make purchases at booths, but all concessions could accept the card so... why not the ticket booths which are owned by the Convention Center?... actually this is my only complaint, believe it or not I had an AMAZING TIME, as did my family.

Right after walking in we were greeted with the Kid's Play Area, which had multiple tables of Thomas the Train sets. The kids went absolutely nuts.

While they were playing I slipped over to a booth and picked up a little something. At $3 a pop these were the best deal at the show... Engineer Hats! I actually bought them from a booth that was also featured at the Fullerton Railroad Days... we went back to them later and they recognized us from that show because of all the kids.

Even Baby had fun
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: The Train Show 7-19

So playtime out of the way we went off to the circus.

Followed by a train set right behind it.

• "I Break Things"

I thought this was interesting, they use actual overhead power... talk about dedication.

Then off to another set

Despite my protests we broke for lunch (Pizza) before going anywhere else. I really wanted to see the Legos but we heard about a specific model. I present the Volcano...

This thing is loud enough that it can be heard throughout the show, and it blows a smoke column over 15ft in the air which can also be seen throughout the show... goes off every 20 minutes. In case you are wondering they did win an award for this, and it is also synced to a computer

Which gives you the time until the next eruption. Here are various model shots my wife and I took

Last edited by techskip; 07-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

Great pictures techskip! My daughter loves trains so that would have been a lot of fun for her. I love those hats you bought them!!

• "I Break Things"

This massive bridge

and this one

were built by these gentlemen

Who came all the way from Japan, and shipped it here. Due to the cost of shipping it back it will remain in the states and will find a new residence at a museum. Chicago was mentioned but I am not 100% if that is where it will end up.

• E T1CK3T

Great report, Tech! That train show really was cool... especially that volcano you told me about. Can't wait to see all the Lego pics!

• "I Break Things"

So after touring almost the ENTIRE place we finally got to see the entire reason I wanted to go in the first place! LEGOS..

This one is Thomas the Train

A little plastic patriotism...

Someone did one of Disneyland... here's Jungle

And Thunder

Main Street Station complete with train.

Space Mountain

Other sets had Disney as well by this was by far the best and it didn't end with Disneyland... anyone know this little guy?

And then there was this...

The gentleman on the left built Thunder, the Gentleman on the right did everything else.

• E T1CK3T

That.... is so.... AWESOME! the Nautilus is excellent!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

What an awesome event!!! Thanks for bringing us the wonderful pictures techskip. I kept waiting for the Lego pictures and they didn't disappoint. Disneyland in Legos is pretty amazing. Thanks for posting these pictures here. They're one hundred kinds of awesome.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

i went to this today (7-20) and it was purely amazing. i am still wearing the engineer shirt i bought, and its fifteen till midnight.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

Thumbs up Re: The Train Show 7-19

Quote Originally Posted by arielchica View Post
    Great pictures techskip! My daughter loves trains so that would have been a lot of fun for her. I love those hats you bought them!!
    Aw, you should have come down last weekend. I know, a bit of a drive huh. Hope you guys can make a meet soon!

The pics look wonderful btw tech!

• Cake Anyone?

You know I have to give props to you and Tinkmomma for doing so much with your kids. For having four kids you guys do a great job of taking them places and exposing them to new adventures. Yeah for you!
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

While the ticket booths are indeed part of the Anaheim Convention center, they were not operated by them for this particular event. That costs extra, a lot extra, as does using their IT lines for transactions. The operator of the event by using his own people and accepting cash only on site not only kept the ticket price down, but keep the rental fees to the sellers to a mild roar. Keep in mind for the size of the hall being used there wasn't a lot of retail space. I was there Saturday, I would say nearly half of the floor space was taken up by portable layouts, brought in by the various clubs in the area. To my knowledge these clubs were not charged a rental fee for the space they used.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thank you TSKip. You have some of the best trip reports, as usual.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    While the ticket booths are indeed part of the Anaheim Convention center, they were not operated by them for this particular event. That costs extra, a lot extra, as does using their IT lines for transactions. The operator of the event by using his own people and accepting cash only on site not only kept the ticket price down, but keep the rental fees to the sellers to a mild roar. Keep in mind for the size of the hall being used there wasn't a lot of retail space. I was there Saturday, I would say nearly half of the floor space was taken up by portable layouts, brought in by the various clubs in the area. To my knowledge these clubs were not charged a rental fee for the space they used.
    Thank you for this explaination. It makes perfect sense. I was extremely grateful for the low ticket prices, and would willingly have paid more ($15 a pop... $20 might be pushing it)... and it was an AMAZING show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast