Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: My Great Pacific Northwest Journey

I am loving this report. I have not flown into a small airport in so long that I forgot what its like to go out to the tarmac. My favorite posted picture so far is Pengy in the Ocean.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Awesome TR and I do love the flower pics!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I am loving this report. I have not flown into a small airport in so long that I forgot what its like to go out to the tarmac. My favorite posted picture so far is Pengy in the Ocean.
    I think except for Twin Falls Idaho its the smallest one I've ever been in.

Yes, I was brave and let my daughter take a picture of me. And the water was cold but it actually felt good after a few minutes walking around in it. Glad you like it! I don't think I have any more close ups of flowers, but there might be some other vegetation later on.

Part Six:

The city of Eureka, like many North Coast places, is an old city, and has quite a bit of history stretching back to the 1800’s. Old Town Eureka is a part of the city that has been restored and revitalized through federal loans so that it can continue to be enjoyed as a vital part of the community. Restoration is still under way, and this part of the city has some of the most interesting, and beautiful buildings, many of them Victorian style architecture.

There are many of the buildings that have been opened up with museums, cafe’s, gift shops, galleries and the like.

Unfortunately, it was a Monday when we went and the museums were closed.

This building housed the Children's Discovery Museum, but alas, it was closed too.

There are several buildings that have murals painted on them. I meant to go to the Chamber of Commerce and pick up a pamphlet that gave you a self guided walking tour of all of the murals, where they were and information on the artists, but we never made it over there. But I did get some pictures of some of them.

This one was even painted on the sides of the building.

Doggys!

Kitties!

People!

The last mural was across the street from this building. A beautiful example of art deco architecture!

One of the local Micro Breweries.

And a close up of one of the windows.

One of the most famous structures in the town, is the Carson Mansion. It was built in the 1880’s by the local lumber baron of the time, William Carson. It sits on a small hill, and you can see it from blocks away as you walk down Second Street which terminates at the mansion.

Still a couple of blocks away.

And once you get close to it....

Even more beautiful and more impressive.

But alas, much like Club 33...

Bummer....

Across the street is this beauty, which I think if I remember currently houses an attorney’s office.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Directly directed

It's so weird to look at pictures of where I live. Beautiful shots though! And did you go into the Lost Coast Brewery? A giant spider comes down over your head when you walk in the door.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    It's so weird to look at pictures of where I live. Beautiful shots though! And did you go into the Lost Coast Brewery? A giant spider comes down over your head when you walk in the door.
    Really?? Nooo! We didn't go in! We were thinking we only had two hours parking, and we were running around trying to catch a lot of stuff, although I told my daughter since the spots don't have meters... how would they know. I will have to check that place out next time for sure! (And give Alice's Wonderland a heads up so we can meet!!)

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

We love Eureka. It has been a good long time since we've been there (actually we broke down there) but it looked just like it was out a movie back then and is even prettier now! What a great trip!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Man O Lantern

As an Oregonian, I'm giggling that Nor Cal is the Pacific Northwest.

Beautiful pictures and trip report!! You've captured my fave things about McKinleyville and Eureka! My stepmom grew up there and my dad lived there for 5-6 years. It's gorgeous.

Have you visited Ferndale? I looooved it!
    http://www.victorianferndale.org/chamber/

Also--my stepmom used to work in that pink house/building. It was a doctor's office at one point.

And Lost Coast! That picture makes me happy! We used order Downtown Brown from there once or twice a year until our local beer store started carrying it. My husband wears his Lost Coast t-shirt every once in a while and we always get stopped by some hippy to talk about it. We love that place. When our oldest daughter was little, we took her to a party there upstairs and she still remembers it.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

It is beautiful up there! I wish I was rich so I could just fly up there whenever I wanted! Since I'm back home now.. (Of course I wish the same thing so I could go to Disneyland whenever I want too!)

My daughters best friend graduated from Humboldt about 3 years ago, and we drove down to Ferndale when we went up for her graduation! Its such an awesome little town! My daughter and her fiance wanted to figure out a way for me to get some brew from the Lost Coast back with me... but it would of been hard to put in my carry on!!

Part Seven:

Old Town Eureka is located right next to Humboldt Bay and across from Woodly Island. So of course being so close to water you get some great views of nautical vessels.

There's no need to fear, the Coast Guard is here! Ok, yeah that was bad...

Various ships docked off of Woodley Island, across from the Old Town waterfront.

At one time I believe this was a railroad depot/station, but its now called The Adorni Recreation Center, used for public functions.

True to part of its history and heritage, fishing is still important in the area.

A close up of what I think are juniper berries. (I’m not much of a botanist ....oh purty flower... thats as close as I get to taxonomy. )

One of the attractions of the area is The Gazebo, which is a focal point for the downtown area.

One of the many buildings still undergoing restoration.

Forget your watch? No problem! This way you can keep and eye on that supposed 2 hour parking limit!

Little know penguin fact # 1. One of my downfalls, if you want to call it that is books. And not just places like Barnes and Nobel and Borders. I am infatuated with old/used book stores. I can spend not only hours and hours in them, but more of my money than I should.

This is one of the book stores we found.

This is one of the other ones....

And did we venture in? By some cosmic twist of fate or alignment of planets or something, I managed to NOT go in to either one. One reason was we had already been running around for some time, and needed to get home to fix dinner, and another was little know penguin fact # 2. (See below)

One of my other obsessions is post cards. I have over 500 of them ranging in age from the early 1900’s to current ones. We had already found a little antique shop that had post cards for 50 cents (), many of them the type that I have paid $3-$5 in other antique stores. (Pre 1930’s) Lets just say I spent enough on that, I didn’t need to damage my checking account anymore by going into the book store.

Romano Gabriel was an artist who worked in wood, and who created a large display of his creations in his front yard. After his death in 1977, his work was collected and put in a storefront window fore everyone to enjoy.

Information about the artist and his work. Interesting type face for the article.

Of course as we were walking up to the display, I looked at my daughter and started to sing....

..its a world of laughter, a world of tears, its a world of hopes, its a world of fear.....

It was just to good an opportunity to pass up!

• "I Break Things"

fun read.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• or CBF

Nice job so far Pengy, very interesting stuff!
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• love my friends

Love it pengy, so many beautiful buildings, houses there.. love it

Friends for life

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Really?? Nooo! We didn't go in! We were thinking we only had two hours parking, and we were running around trying to catch a lot of stuff, although I told my daughter since the spots don't have meters... how would they know. I will have to check that place out next time for sure! (And give Alice's Wonderland a heads up so we can meet!!)
    Yes please! And the police have nothing better to do than to give tickets so you really do need to watch your speed and how long you've been parked.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Yes please! And the police have nothing better to do than to give tickets so you really do need to watch your speed and how long you've been parked.
    You know you would think that they would want people to spent as much time (money) over there as possible what with all the new little shops and stores and places to explore (spend money) and all. We got a late start that day, maybe next time we’ll get up early, go over, find a place to park thats maybe a bit further away but free parking and just walk over to Old Town.

Part Eight

You never know where you are going to run into fellow MiceChatters. We are all over the planet, and we move around so sometimes its hard to keep track of us. It just so happened, that BassBone was at Humboldt University for a music workshop while I was there! When I found out he was going to be there, I send him a message and told him... we must have lunch while you are here!

Pretty bad, we have to come 800 miles to get a chance to have lunch together. And if only I’d realised that Alice’s Wonderland was there too, we could of had an actual, real MiceChat mini meet!! Well... next time!!

Bassbone and I in front of the Porter Street Bar-b-Q in Arcata.(Another gratuitous penguin sighting...)

After lunch, Bass had a concert to perform at, and the kids and I did some sightseeing, since daughters fiancé had the day off and he could chauffeur us around. First stop, was Fort Humboldt State Park.

Some of the history of the area is in fishing. Much of it is in logging. The fort originally was created to protect settlers and Native Americans in the 1850’s. It now houses artifacts and information from the early days of logging in the area.

Its always hard to get pictures behind glass without a polarizing lens, but you get the idea.

On the road to now where.....

The tracks actually do get used. There are two steam engines that they bring out sometimes.

The steam engines are housed in those two buildings, protected from the elements when not on active display.

A steam donkey? Indeed, used to help move the heavy logs around.

And here you have... a real “live” steam donkey.

In the early days they sometimes used “pole” rails, instead of steel. Use what you have available is the pioneer spirit!

This impressive piece of equipment is a slackline yarder. I don’t remember what it did, but darn isn’t it impressive!

And example of a loggers cabin.

Again, without a polarizing lens, its hard to take shots behind glass. Here is as much as I could get of one of the steam engines.

There was a museum on the property, but it didn’t look like it was open. (What is it with me and closed museums this trip??) But we still had some time and still had one more local point of interest to check out that day.....

• love my friends

love it pengy love it

Friends for life

• Queen of Randomness

That's a great area to visit. It looks like you were able to see a lot and had fun!

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast