Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

My Great Pacific Northwest Journey

Part One:

Warning/Disclaimer:

This report will contain lots of pictures and an equally large amount of dialogue so if you are faint of heart or short of bandwidth run away now while you can! Donít say I didnít warn you.

After Christmas my daughter and her fiancť moved to Northern California so she could attend school there. This summer, I decided it would be a good opportunity to travel up there to visit her. With gas going through the roof it was actually a bit cheaper for me to fly rather than drive for two days.

The last time I had flown was back in 1996. I love to fly, but never had any reason since then to fly anywhere. Daughter had lived in Anaheim and Vista, so up until now she had been within driving distance. A lot had changed in the last 12 years, and with the new security measures and all I wasnít sure what I was getting myself into.

Plans were to fly out of Palm Springs at 6 AM which meant I had to be up at 4 AM for hubby to take me to the airport. Now, weíve both been to the Palm Springs airport dozens of times. Weíve driven past it hundreds of times. You would think that just because its 5 in the morning and still mostly dark, would have no problems with finding the airport.

Lets just say we ended up in down town Palm Springs and the conversation that ensued isnít fit for a Disney/Family board.... but in the end we realised we turned one street to soon and we managed to get turned around and headed back. However, by the time we got into the airport parking lot I was thinking I only had like 15 minutes to clear security and get to my gate so I grabbed my stuff and took off like a flash, leaving hubby behind.

Hey, Iím on a tight time schedule and I know where Iím going so keep up with me if ya want to see me off!

We got into the airport, I found where I had to go through security, we said our quick goodbyes and I was off. I put my carry on stuff in the grey plastic tubs, walked through the metal detector, picked up my stuff on the other side and....

That was it? I guess it helped that it was so freaking early in the morning and Palm Springs has several security check through stations. That and I had thankfully printed out my boarding pass at home the night before. I headed out the door to the terminal building where I was to catch my plane.

It looks like a long walk but it wasnít to bad.

Then after all that rushing only to find....

Seems one of the crew members overslept/forgot to set their alarm/stayed out to late the night before etc and we had to wait for them to get there. It turned out it was only about a 20-30 minute delay, and I had a more than two hour layover in Salt Lake so I had plenty of time. Besides... thereís no speed limit in the sky and with a bit of a tail wind we could make up that 30 minutes easy.

My chariot awaits....

I know there are a few MiceChatters who have never flown, so Iím going to include a few ariel shots for you. Maybe its because I donít fly much, but I love to look out and see the clouds from above. Iím fascinated and in awe of how beautiful and amazing it is to be up there. ( I also have this thing about sitting on or behind the wing. Not because of any superstition or anything but I also have this bizarre fascination with watching the wing flaps work. Yes, I am strange.)

Donít you just want to get out and roll in all that soft looking fluff?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Re: My Great Pacific Northwest Journey

Part Two:

We arrived in Salt Lake pretty much on time.

Iíve been to the Salt Lake airport two or three times now. But its been upgraded a bit in the last 12 years too.

This was the first thing I saw when I walked into the terminal.

It was still early. Around 8:30 AM California time. So I grabbed breakfast.... at Burger King.

After breakfast I headed back to the gate I was leaving out of.

Nice pretty, big plane. To bad Iím not flying on that one....

Wandered over to the gate to see how things were. Yes!! Flight 3743 On time!

Since I still had some time before I had to board, I did a bit of wandering. Checked out the gift shop.... noted that the bottled water in the vending machines here was only $1.75 while in Palm Springs the same water was $2.50... Palm Springs seems to think itís Disneyland or something.

The rest of the time I just sat and watched the masses of humanity wading to their personal destinations. I had a book with me, but it was intersting to just watch and wonder at the myriad of stories that were migrating through the airport. Families, single people, fire fighters, military people.... everyone headed to or from home or destinations unknown.

And the traffic patterns inside of the airport, are almost as interesting as outside. It would be quiet and slow, then there would be 5 or 6 gates loading at the same time... then it would slow down again.... I guess Iím just easily entertained!

At 11:00 they began boarding. I would be departing from ďdoorĒ 19. Sounded more like a game show than a airline.

Nineteen huh...

My next chariot.

Once I was on the pilot came on and told us we would be delayed a few minutes while they refuelled. Apparently there was another flight that was late and the fuel crew was running behind. Hey, no problem. Iíd rather take off with a full tank... er... tanks as it were.

We taxied out and waited in line for our turn to take off.

And we waited. And waited. And waited.

Sorry for the delay ladies and gentlemen, weíre dealing with a maintenance issue and weíll be underway as soon as we get it cleared up....

Maintenance? We are late getting started for refuelling and you wait until we taxi out onto the runway a half hour away from the terminal and now you are working on a maintenance issue????

Some time passes....

Ok folks, weíve got the maintenance issue taken care of, but now the wind has shifted and they are having us take off from a different runway....

Excuse me, is there a bus from Salt Lake to McKinnleyville?

Well we did manage to get off the ground and on our way.

Of course we canít leave Salt Lake without a picture of.... the Lake.

Instead of pretty fluffy clouds, a good part of the way across Nevada was a brownish grey haze, caused by all of the fires in Nor Cal.

Still there were a few interesting sites.

Snow, on what I think was part of the Rockies

And... Kitty!!!! Seriously... with a bit of imagination, you can see a kitty! Ok, I can see a kitty.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Part Three:

Sure enough, with the lack of speed limits we arrived pretty much on time. Well that and since we crossed the Pacific/ Mountain time line we gained... er... lost... gained... uh... the time changed again and I was almost there.

The night before I had called my daughter to check on the weather. I was trying to stuff some last minute things into my carry on backpack, and thought if it was going to be warm enough I’d take out my jacket to free up some room. She assured me it was suppose to warm up and would be in the 70’s. So I left my jacket at home.

Ladies and gentlemen, we’ll be arriving at the Eureka/Arcata airport in just a few minutes. We’ll be flying in through some fog, and the current temperature is 52 degrees.

I’m GONNA FREEZE!!! It was suppose to be around 110 in Palm Springs that day. I’M GONNA FREEZE!!!

At least the fog wasn’t all the way to the ground.

Those people seem to know where they are going. Maybe I should follow them.

The airport is officially designated as Eureka/Arcata (ACV in airport speak), but its physically located in... McKinnleyville. Really. I know this because my daughter is in McKinnleyville and her apartment is 4 minutes away from the airport.

But regardless you are in:

I first called hubby to let him know the penguin had landed, then called daughter to come get me. While waiting I took some pics of purty flowers...

Ah... here comes my ride now...

The white zone is for the loading and unloading of passengers only.....

We went back to the kids apartment, visited a bit then I thought I’d just stretch out on the couch and get comfy for just a minute... with a blankie over me...

Yup, it was nap time. And yes my wonderful loving daughter got my camera and took pictures of me sleeping on her couch.

And no... you’re not going to see those.

But there will be plenty more.

•   
    • I <3 įoį

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    And... Kitty!!!! Seriously... with a bit of imagination, you can see a kitty! Ok, I can see a kitty.

I see the kitty Pengy!
    Can't wait to see the rest of your report...
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• World Traveler

Great report so far!! Thanks for sharing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Great pictures and report so far but I want to see a sleeping pengy, please.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Aww, I love this trip report so far Pengy, I even loved the added commentary, you're telling a wonderful story and I feel like I experienced it with you. Keep up the good work and gimmie more!

Oh yeah, I totally see the kitty.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

Great trip report and pics so far! Can't wait for the rest!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Great pictures and report so far but I want to see a sleeping pengy, please.
    ... uh.. no. This is a family board you know and that would just be... to scary!

Thanks for the happy thoughts everyone!! Ready for the next installment?

Part Four:

When my daughter lived in San Diego county this is the view from the front of her apartment on a foggy day.

This is the view now.

Just a bit of a difference.

Ok, now we get to the serious part of the report where I play tourist and my daughter plays the part of the guide. But even though she has been up there for about 7 months now, she doesnít get out much except to go to school so even she doesnít really know her way around that well. But one morning we went to breakfast and outside of the restaurant, in one of the displays where they always have papers and stuff I spotted a free booklet, ďHumbolt 101 Thinks to Do.Ē

Now its a vacation!

Of course even before I found that booklet, one of the first things I wanted to do was check out the ocean! How could I be that close and NOT check it out! In fact, their apartment is only a bit over a half mile I think from the coast!

But even in the pristine Northwest, the threat of contamination exists.

And even if I had found any scallops, I wouldnít of been able to eat them.

But the views and the absolute beauty of the coast more than made up for that. I told my daughter if I lived there, I would be on the beach every day. To me the weather was wonderful, a bit on the cool side but I loved the clouds and gloom. Living in the So Cal desert we donít get clouds and gloom. People think Iím nuts when I say Iím sick of blue sky and sunshine, but when thats all you see 364 days a year...

Enough talk! Lets see some pictures!

One of the paths, called Hammond trail, going down to the beach.

This is actually a fresh water creek that is running into the ocean

An interesting stump in the fresh water creek. There were some little froggy/tabpoles around it, but they were to small to get a picture of.

A bit fuzzy since I couldnít get to close.

The creek in the forground, ocean behind.

That was as close as we got to the actual ocean here, But our next stop was just a few miles north, to the Clam Beach County Park.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

Those people seem to know where they are going. Maybe I should follow them.

The airport is officially designated as Eureka/Arcata (ACV in airport speak), but its physically located in... McKinnleyville. Really. I know this because my daughter is in McKinnleyville and her apartment is 4 minutes away from the airport.
    It's McKinleyville, named after President McKinley. I know because I live here. Your plan flew right by my house, if you were sitting on the left hand side, you could have seen it. And it's also impossible to get lost at the Eureka/Arcata airport as it's the smallest airport I've ever been too. Delta is new as of this summer, and it only flys to Salt Lake City.

And really what is this with Micechatters coming to Arcata and no one mentioning anything?

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    It's McKinleyville, named after President McKinley. I know because I live here. Your plan flew right by my house, if you were sitting on the left hand side, you could have seen it. And it's also impossible to get lost at the Eureka/Arcata airport as it's the smallest airport I've ever been too. Delta is new as of this summer, and it only flys to Salt Lake City.

And really what is this with Micechatters coming to Arcata and no one mentioning anything?
    Oops! I always spell it wrong! I don't know what it is with me wanting to put 2 "n's" in it every time!

Well I was sitting on the left side of the plane, so I probably went right by your place and didn't even know it! (Had my daughter been looking out her front window, she would of seen me coming in too since I did see a couple of planes flying in while I was there.)

Um.... there were a few people who know I was heading that way... uh.. er... Next time we will have to plan a MiceChatters meet! (Since there was another MiceChatter up there at the same time too...which will show up later in the report.)My daughter will be up there for at least 3 years, so I'll be back someday!

I was going to put up part 5... but for some reason I'm currently experiencing some major coding issues. It keeps eating my BB code and moving it around when I preview...

To be continued........

• love my friends

love it so far pengy

Friends for life

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for your great report so far Pengy! It sounds like you had a great time and I'm looking forward to more.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Lets see if it will work now....

Part Five:

We drove north on highway 101 to Clam Beach. Wow... its a massive beach, and I know we went on a weekday and the weather might of been a factor but... it was wonderfly deserted. There were hardly any other human beings around!

About half way to my destination.

Behind me, where we had parked.

One of the locals.... a bit on the scruffy side.

Looking to the south....

Looking to the north...

Another shot north...

Graduitious penguin in ocean picture...

Clam beach is a dog friendly beach. My daughter informed me that they have an interesting way of walking/exercising their dogs up here. She said they will drive their pickup trucks out onto the beach (allowed), take the dog out of the back of the truck and put the dog on the beach, then get back in the truck and slowly drive away and have the dog chase after them.

Funny I always thought the point of “walking” the dog was to get some exercise with the dog. Could I have been wrong all these years? Have I been doing it the hard way?

Dog friendly, but hey... there are still a few rules!

And... more flowers!

Comming up in a later installment... Old Town Eureka, Sequoia Park Zoo, Fort Humboldt State Park, Patricks Point State Park, Trinidad State Beach, and some local flavor!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-01-2008 at 01:47 PM.

• Minion

I'm enjoying this TR a lot! Can't wait for more!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast