Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Seven Falls, Colorado Springs, CO

Yo!

Yep, after hitting up the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo last week with some dear colleagues, we decided another tourist trap was on our list....Seven Falls.

I say tourist trap due to the fact that this waterfall and adjoining park, while beautiful, is privately run. Which means, well, I cannot help thinking that it might be better run if it were held by the auspices of National Park Services or the like.

Many sites in our area were all held as attractions for the only 5 star hotel in our state--the BROaDMOOR. Currently, they are hosting the Senior Open. They eventually sold all the attractions (the zoo, the cog, these falls) to private investors and, well, they have become mini amusement parks. However, there is little spark or flare and the natural beauty sometimes gets swallowed up.

Did we have a good time? Yes and no.

When I found the pipe that pumps the water to the top of the falls so that a drought never effects the view, well, something tugged in me.

But hopefully, the beauty will shine forth for you all!

The entrance and the dashboard. Excitin' ain't it?

Okay, there's a system here. Every parking place is numbered, for there's only one road in and out of this box canyon. And there's only one bathroom---that's the shack over there. Of course, you don't actually have to go the bathroom when you arrive, but when you hear "that's the only bathroom before you head in..." you suddenly find the urge.

Go figure.

Not sure if you know the history of the area, but Pikes Peak is what helped people find Colorado Springs. It's a 'fourteener' right at the front of the Rocky Mountains--instead further into the range. So as such, it sticks out and naturally draws the eye to Colorado Springs. This is small diorama set up along side the canyon.

A shot of the north side of the canyon. Rock slides are common and if there's any lightening, get into your car!

Here you can see the Great American Bear heading into the box with the rock surface in the distance. This is one of three gift shops. I'd like to say they took a nod from Disney---but this attraction has been here in some form since the late 1800s (or so they claim, the falls have been here forever, tho--the Native Americans felt them to have healing properties). Notice the dam to the left. To build the gift shop they had to dam up the creek/river.

Lovely.

Then they stock it with...

Trout. You can feed the buggers if you are so inclined. But they are so overfed, they usually watch the food you bought from the quarter machines sink to the bottom of the pool.

Normally, they would not be found up here and no, you can't fish for them. The dam and trout pond serve a more nefarious purpose. The fake pond supplies the water back up to the top of the falls.

Next up? The actual falls!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Seven Falls, Colorado Springs, CO

Movin' on!

Here is the end of the box canyon and the beginning of the stairs up to the top of the falls, if you are so inclined, as it were.

A small stage spotlights Native American dancers throughout the day.

Here are the lower four falls and the first half the trek up to the top. There are 224 steps. And at this altitude, I saw many tourists 1. Sucking air not realizing that there's no oxygen up here to begin with; 2. The stairs are steep--so when you get up high...you can and most likely will, be hit with vertigo!

I love my mountains!

The lower falls and the first landing of the stairs. Over the holidays, they open Seven Falls for free, but you pay anyways and the cash collected is donated to various Colorado Springs charities. In the winter, the ice has covered a goodly portion of the stone and then...are lit from various spot lights (with green, red and blue gels) from around the canyon. You might see some of the lights hanging from around the edges.

The view back out of the canyon and the trout pond.

What, did you think I would sit at the bottom? Doubtful. Let's begin the ascent, shall we?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Part three!

The view from the first landing.

Another view.

Looking directly out from our landing, you can see the "Eagle's Nest." Built for people not wanting to work too hard whilst visiting this lovely place, an elevator was blasted into the hill before you (on the far side) and you can merely ride up.

Alas, we didn't go...by the time we climbed down all these steps, the elevator had broken down.

And yes, the Eagle's Nest also has a gift shop!

The top segment of the falls is now visible at this landing. These are the "top three" of the Seven Falls.

As you can see...the trail and stairs do continue over the top of the falls. They lead to a mile hike to Helen Hunt Jackson's (local author and wife of one of the city's founders) grave marker.

I cannot seem to upright this picture...but you can get an idea of the view dooooowwwwwnnnnn..

Peace,
    Roo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Good report Roo .

Love the pictures. But seeing pipes pump out water would probably kinda tamper the natural effect for me. But I can understand why they put them there. But still...

Keep 'em coming bud .

• Incognito

Blog Entries

So pretty! Great TR!

• "I Break Things"

This is so cool. I have never been to 7 falls. Thank you.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Beautiful!! The Rocky Mountain states are some of the most awesomely beautiful places on the planet. (I know, I lived in one of them.). But I have to admit... I have a fear of heights and I got a little dizzy even looking at some of your pictures!! Great job!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

whoa...that's high up there. Thnx for the pix Roo. No way could I ever get up there without being a total nervous wreck.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thank you all for takin' a look-see. I do love my state and I have to admit, I know I might be moving away soon: and it breaks my heart to leave such scenery.

Colorado is truly a beautiful place. I'd post more if Photobucket would let me. For some reason, it's taking all of my photographs and posting them sideways. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why. So I'll go with the only known picture that wasn't taken sideways:

Bears!

Taken from the gift shop from eariler.

Peace,
    Roo

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

And I also used my new video camera...one of those FLIP jobbies. However, you can only use their editing software. And as such, I couldn't figure out how to move the shots into a different order.

So this is what was created. Not very exciting.

I'm having a tech-off night. But it just complements what's already been posted. Apologies go out for your next three minutes or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=ua6zpdbempU

AND IT WORKED! FINALLY!

No, I'm not bitter, not bitter at all any more.

Argh!

Enjoy!

Peace,
    Roo

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great trip report Roo! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

What do they do if the elevator shaft breaks when the visitors are out on the Eagle's Nest viewing deck? Do they have an emergency backup plan or something?

Anyway, I love national parks and just natural beauty in general. It helps us get away from the structure of society. Nature, to me, has no structure, just simple freedom.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Love the report! I've never been there either. Where will you go next? Garden of the Gods???
    A signature should go here.

Blog Entries

nice pictures thanks for the report..

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

The Eagle's Nest is accessible via a staircase as well--with about 200 steps to the platform. This was our option, but, after climbing almost 300 steps for the main falls, we were a bit apprehensive.

Susie, it's funny you should mention that. My aunt and uncle are heading out tomorrow from Pennsylvania to see the local sites of Colorado Springs, including the Air Force Academy and the Olympic Training Center. I'll make sure, as their tour guide, to take the time to take photos and video!

And thanks everyone for all the positive comments!

Peace,
    Roo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast