• Functional & Decorative

Marineland History - Large pics!

This is my time posting a TR! How exciting! Well, it all started with my boyfriend and I taking a short day trip to Palos Verdes (from far off North Hollywood ). We first stopped by the famous Wayfarers Chapel. It was designed by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright, and it beautiful to see, no matter what your religious persuasions.

The view from the Chapel:

These pictures really don't do it justice... I had taken more, but they didn't come out.

The BF really wanted to see the beach/cliffs. We made a spontaneous, random stopover, and happened upon the Point Vicente Interpretive Center. It is a small museum/building (free, donations accepted) that has a bit of local history and marine life, as well as artifacts from the now defunct Marineland. What a treat!

This is the first thing you see before you enter the building. This is how I knew something was going to be historical here!

More artifacts and photos from inside the museum area:

Gotta love the prices printed on this recreation of the admission booth (Adult $2, Children $0.50, Annual Pass $7.50!):

Remember these?

The famous entrance sign:

They also sold an audio CD of their Dolphin and Killer Whale show. I know what you are thinking--"an audio recording of a sea life show? That doesn't make much sense." Reading the back of the CD, Marineland officials of the time tried to cash in on the trend of LPs (that's old fashioned records, for you young'ns), and tried this stunt--against the advice of their gift shop manager. Well, the CD did indeed bomb, but now it can be listened to as a strange connection to what once was.

Just behind the Center are great views of the ocean:

The actual Marineland property is now being developed into (unsurprisingly) condos. If you'd like to see this for yourself, find more info here.

Since we were in the general direction, I insisted that we eat lunch at the King's Hawaiian Restaurant and Bakery in Torrance. Does that name sound familiar? You're probably eaten/bought some of their famous sweet rolls from your local supermarket!

It's not really that nearby, but well worth the drive, IMO. I don't have pictures of it, but do visit the website here. It's one of only three eateries that King's Hawaiian owns. One is in Torrance (the home base to their factory), a small walk in location near the 405/110, and, of course, Hawaii! It's a rare treat, and if you do go, save room for the Paradise Cake dessert--a three layer cake of guava, passion, and lime. There's nothing like it anywhere else!

Hope you enjoyed our trip! It was a fun surprise, and made for a lovely day.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Marineland History - Large pics!

What a beautiful report! You captured the history of Marineland in pictures quite elequently, JesterMn. Marineland is the first park to encourage the conseration/preservation of marine life thru both education and entertainment - "edutainment". It's right as rain that such an effort begin with a religious foudation. I feel almost as though I was on vacation with both you and the BF.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

I miss Marineland! Thanks for the pics, the museum looks pretty interesting.
    I want my cake back!

• Addicted to MC since '08

I've never been to Marineland, but my family has told me wonderful things about their experiences there.

Thanks for Sharing!

Great trip report, JesterMn. I love finding out about neat places to visit that I didn't know about before, so thanks for sharing! I had never heard of the museum or that it had artifacts related to Marineland. I have always wanted to see the Wayfarer's Chapel, but, have never gotten around to it. Your trip report provides me with some motivation to get over there. I just need to find me a bf, too, to go with me!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow! that's awesome! I really don't remember Marineland so well since I went when I iwas really young!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Cake Anyone?

Wow, Marineland.....had totally forgotten about that place.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Those are some nice pics. I actually visited the interpretive center and saw these exibits in person it's really cool. The Marineland property is now actually being built into a hotel and resort called the Terranea with will feature a hotel, timeshare condos, a 9 hole golf course, and some amazing views of the pacific. I've past by and they've completed a lot; looks to be very nice and i still wish marineland existed.

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Your trip report provides me with some motivation to get over there. I just need to find me a bf, too, to go with me!
    You're so cute. I'll have you know that even before I had a BF, I would love to take adventures out on my own. In fact, I still do sometimes! So don't let that stop you.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• E T1CK3T

That TR was really neat! I've always heard about Marineland, but never, ever been there. Now I kinda know what it looked like! Thanks! :oD

Wink Re: Marineland History - Large pics!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    You're so cute. I'll have you know that even before I had a BF, I would love to take adventures out on my own. In fact, I still do sometimes! So don't let that stop you.
    Actually, I also do go on adventures by myself a lot, both to the Parks and other places, whether I have a bf or not. It's just nice to be able to go with a bf once in awhile! (It's been a long, dry spell since I had one!) Glad to hear you've found one, he's a lucky guy!

• Rides against injustice

Marineland..(sigh)..I remember going there when I was 6 for my dad's company picnic..Good times.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Banned User

wow an awsome place it must have been to bad its gone. why does this have to happen

Cool Re: Marineland History - Large pics!

I remember the swim through attraction, it was cool swimming with the fish. Sad that it's gone
    Meega, nala kwishta!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice Report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey