Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Santa Ana Zoo Endangered Species Carousel

I will post pictures when I have a moment. Tinkmomma and I had accidentally let our family pass expire. Thankfully the zoo continued to send us the member newsletter. Recently they installed the new Endangered Species Carousel, built with private donations. Last saturday they held a gala to unveil it to the donars and this weekend is the first weekend it was open to the public. I spoke to several employees, all proceeds from the ticket sales will fund future exhibits (same as the train). It's currently $3 a ride, or members can buy an 11 ride pass for $20 (which can be used on either the train or the carousel). They installed it accross from the train station in an area that previously was used to host birthday parties. Again I have to run right now so I will post pictures and more information later.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Goofy

Re: Santa Ana Zoo Endangered Species Carousel

I haven't been to that zoo in years. I guess I better check it out.

• "I Break Things"

I am trying to remember all the animals. I remember a few of the more unique ones I remember

• anteater (part of the reason for the carousel's construction is to raise funds for the new anteater exhibit)
    • seal
    • panda
    • giraffe
    • elephant
    • sea otter
    • cheetah
    • dragon
    • hummingbird
    • tiger
    • bird nest (which is designed similar to one of Disney's teacups and can be spun around)
    • white tiger
    • gorilla
    • eagle
    • seahorse
    • standard horses
    • rooster

According to the employees the zoo established a focus group which administered surveys among the kids to determine the best combination of animals to place on the carousel. They were not sure if some of the standard horses would be changed out for more animals, but this could be a potential possibility depending on the popularity of the carousel and the funds available (if a private donor requests an animal and donates a certain amount then I think the zoo would at least consider the request)

Here's some of the pics

I am sorry the shots were not focused on the individual animals, I was more focused on having fun with the kids and this report was an afterthought. If I go next weekend then I will try to get more detailed shots. I had to crop various pics in order to display the greatest array of animals. I was honestly impressed with this little carousel, and it was extremely popular while we were there. My wife and I both love this little zoo. It is the perfect size for the kids, and at a price we can easily afford. As I mentioned earlier they held a gala the week before, $200 a person, out of our league but if I had the means I likely would have been there.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

the hummingbird looks cool and so does the dragon.
    seems cool alot of the Zoos in california are adding carousels to their parks now.(3 so far)

•   
    • Senior Minion

That is a beautiful carousel Techskip, I've never been to that Zoo but seeing these pictures does make me want to go check it out.

• Banned User

I love the Santa Ana Zoo! I grew up going to that zoo almost every week I'll have to go check it out it's been a few years since I've gone there.

At least they opted for the traditional scenery package. The San Diego Wild Animal Park bought the "jungle" scenery, which looks like bundles of thatched twigs. Guess they figured it would fit in with the African theme, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to carousels and that just doesn't do it for me.

• For You!

Dragons must be extremely rare....

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Humming birds? Roosters? Dragons endangered? This is all news to me!
    Perhaps in California, around here Humming birds and roosters are very very common, even bald eagles are a common sight in my neck of the woods.... have yet to see a dragon though.

Pretty cool carousel. I have great memories of the one in Balboa Park, and the one two story one at pier 39.

• "I Break Things"

The actual title is "Endangered Species Carousel", however I am not sure of the selection process. For anyone planning a visit I would recommend taking little kids with you. There honestly isn't a whole lot to do, and the main focus of the Zoo is monkeys and barn animals! The carousel is a lot of fun, so is the train (which was the original one at Santa's Village). Right now the elephant ride is at the LA County Fair but in the "off season" between fairs it is at the zoo as well. So, $5.00 and you get to ride an elephant in the middle of Santa Ana.

• Goofy

I live about a mile from the santa ana zoo. wow. thanks for sharing.

• Ride The Road To Destiny

From the looks of the design on the upper panels and inside panels of the ride, this carousel looks like it was manufactured by Chance Rides. It looks like the 28' model.
    Rocket Rods 1998-2001 May you rest in peace.

"From the imagination of Walt Disney and NASCAR presents a second generation in Tomorrowland Rapid Transit. Rocket Rods V2!"

You all need to come to the country more often if you want to hang out with barn animals

and it won't cost you a nickel!
    (the Santa Ana carousel is beautiful)

• Goofy

oh look a horsie lol.

• The line's too long...

Nice looking carousel but they shouldn't call it the Endangered Species carousel, that's just ridiculous for a place that is supposed to be based on fact and education. The Santa Ana zoo is a fun day trip for those with little kids. Mine enjoyed the safari section with the maze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)