Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

USH's HHN '08 - 10/10/08

Let's get scaring, shall we? I was able to do everything except Jurassic Park- In the Dark and Chucky.

First off, no pictures. I did take my video camera. Not sure how match material I will actually post.

* SPOILERS ALERT * BEWARE OF SPOILERS *

So, around 5:50pm, got on Universal Studios Property, took a quick look around CityWalk. A new store opened a couple months ago where the NASCAR racing used to be. It's now a candy shop called "IT'SUGAR". Not just candy to eat, but merchandise based on candy brand names.

Universal Studio Store in Citywalk added a cool "Incredible Hulk" prop at the front. Featuring HHN products and horror movie dvds. I liked the shirt design better from last year with Freddy slashing through the black tee. Now you have all 3 characters on front and a list of attractions on back. There's a second gray-shirt... I kinda liked it but didn't buy.

6:20pm going through secruity with metal dectors. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE SHORTEST WAIT. Although most people were waiting at the turnstyle, they have like 10-15 separate secruity lines you could go through. The furthest left may have the shortest wait.

6:35-40pm went to use the restrooms on the right. Interesting they took off the day admission signs and just tossed them on the side near the black gate very visible to guests, not good show.

Head towards the LEFT turnstyles. It has the illusion to be shorter because of the limited space back there. They let people through around this time which was nice. Freddy statue was cool.

I wanted to do something new this year. Instead of heading towards TERROR TRAM, I went left towards THE DARK STREETS OF LONDON and THE BLACK DEATH scarezones. There's a photo-op where they usually have a car display across from ANIMAL ACTORS STAGE. A sunset backdrop with zombie SCARFACE. And then the DEADWOOD scarezone towards TERROR TRAM.

7pm got on the tram. Zombie SCARFACE was there. The tour guides seem to just DRAG the dialouge instead of having a good script to remember. So the video intros you to Freddy and nightmares.

WHOVILLE, they finally got it right by winding THROUGH the sets. Bates Motel fairly the same. Then they got another thing right by taking the path away from the PSYCHO HOUSE and towards the "Camp Blood". Then another thing right getting past Leatherface in a maze of hanging sheets. There's 2 mazes so it's easier to scare (think of it like DL attractions having a duel load station ala Indy and Big Thunder). Norman was still at the house. Then a neat lighting effect with the police lights in the distance towards WAR OF THE WORLDS/ELM STREET. And improvement hear as well. Instead of a continous metal baricades, they string some together and provide better hiding places.

Back on the tram, took a while to get through the Mummy's/Freddy's curse. THE WOLFMAN movie trailer.

7:30pm jumped into NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: HOME SWEET HELL. 15 minute wait. 1st 1/2 is new. 2nd half after the bug hotel is essteinally the same from last year. I still like the boiler room Beware of the last scare! And scarers in the SHREK 4D pre-show and exit, love it cause people don't expect them.

7:50pm, still had time to kill before 8:30pm BILL & TED. Hoped into FRIDAY THE 13TH: CAMP BLOOD for 5 minute wait. There's a video projected on the old control booth for Wild Wild West. I'm not sure if that was there last year. Essentially the same maze last year. Met a friendly group scared out of their wits in front of me.

8pm, lined up for Bill & Ted. Checked with an employee and found out I was handed the wrong entertainment schedule. Oh well. Met another group in front of me and we sat next to each other for the show. End of the show, "Joker" was kind enough to meet his fans. So if you want to try and get a pic, EXIT TO YOUR LEFT towards THE SIMPSONS. LOTS of the survey being taken for I assume the show. I was the last to leave the theater because I wanted to record the end. I looked down to see LARRY (USH president) standing near me. I thought he was gonna say something about me videorecording. He was there to talk with the show crew. SIGH. Larry actually walks around the park quite often, good for him.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: BACK IN BUSINESS had a posted 20 minute wait. Headed down there. The REVENGE OF THE PIGS scarezone had no decor from last year!! I was quite disappointed. I wasn't sure if they were reused for the TERROR TRAM though for JASON VORHEES.

TCM: BIB was getting a lot of people and an obvious increase in wait time. Luckily the group from CAMP BLOOD spotted me and let me join them . Maze is essentially the same as last year. Although secruity was called and ran to the maze. My arm was squeezed hard from the scares Posted wait when we left was 45 minutes.

Group parted ways around Mummy. Exchanged info. Went to the restrooms, but my map "dropped". Picked it up with a scarer/slider running next to me. Some how I felt like the drop was not an accident.

I did single rider MUMMY RIDE, TWICE. Still had to use the free locker for my camera bag. 2nd time, line increased when announcments were made for guests to use Single Rider. They have MUMMY 3 movie posters at the end. Posted stand-by wait time was 55 minutes.

Cruised to THE SIMPSONS RIDE with a posted 55 minute wait. There was about 30-40 minutes of queue video. I luckily lined up when the video was just starting its loop. Felt more like a 45 minute wait. Line moved fairly quickly. The Ride was smooth and gentle compared to the jerky BTTF. I still miss it. Loved the "BTTF tribute" in the queue video. The timing is still off when loading guests into the 2nd pre-show, or there was just a small delay, so I didn't get to see the entire video played. It was an enjoyable ride. Lost my cell, but got it back.

11:30pm. Time to kill before 12:20pm SlaughterWorld. Walked around the shops like K-Mart, Marvel, Silver Screen, Cartooniversal, and just soaking up the atmosphere. Lined up around 12AM.

12:20AM, I suppose the show is a little better than last year. They had some jokes that make fun of themselves which was surprising. I think the newest thing was an exploding head which was cool. The flaming jetskier is always awesome. They didn't blow the boat's horn and set off the climatic fireworks perhaps in consideration of the nearby neighbors... MAYBE.

12:56AM, had just enough time to get into HOUSE OF HORRORS featuring THE STRANGERS to close the night.

People-watched the sliders and chainsaw team. A pigface blows a siren, all chainsaws a go until the siren blows again.

Stopped by Guest Relations to write some compliments. Overhead guests complaining about the nature of the event (drugs, sex, violence...). Yeah, HELLO! Hallowen Horror Nights. Plenty of warnings were given. And these were females in their late 20s or early 30s... a prime target audience right? At least they didn't go to the Chucky show. Disneyland has a family friendly event. HHN is a hard-ticket event not intended for children under 13. I did see a child in a stroller though. Another complained about being harassed verbally by a scarer... I don't know what the conditions of that was...

CONCLUSION: Had a good night. TERROR TRAM improved. CAMP BLOOD same but good. HOME SWEET HELL, 1/2 is new, 1/2 is same. TCM:BIB the same.

NOTHING for ANIMAL ACTORS. I kind wished they did a short version of Sweeney Todd. They had a "freak show" the 1st year was good. Last year's "Black Magic" show was a snore feast. I didn't bother with CHUCKY cause it's essentially the same from previous years. Didn't have my heart set on HOUSE OF HORRORS but was able to make it.

Leatherface & Freddy maze were usually 45-60 minutes wait. Jason is sometimes overlooked because of it's location, but did get a 50 minute wait at one point. Perhaps they should move the entrance to the opening closest to THE DEAD SHALL RISE scarezone. TERROR TRAM typically had a NO WAIT posted throughout the night.

Next year, just hope they bring something for ANIMAL ACTORS. And perhaps a new maze under TERMINATOR 2:3D with queue in the Coke Corner and former AP processing center. Enter down the stairs between these locations. Exit perhaps south between TERMINATOR and GLOBE THEATER. Walking up from the escalator/stairs on that south side of the parking structure then redirected back into the back. This is also where handicap may access the elevator perhaps.

This would provide a bigger draw to this corner of the park in the BLACK DEATH and LONDON scarezones since CHUCKY can't be the only main attraction.

I don't have a problem with CHUCKY. Should keep him. I didn't really need to see it this year (especially when he was MIA at my showtime last year)

TERMINATOR should have a a special 3D horror film I think.

HAVE FUN!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: USH's HHN '08 - 10/10/08

Overhead guests complaining about the nature of the event (drugs, sex, violence...). Yeah, HELLO! Hallowen Horror Nights. Plenty of warnings were given.
    Yeah no kidding. It's Halloween Horror Nights, not Happy Fluffy Bunny Nights.

• Plastic Monkey

great report film freak!
    quick question, did you do the event alone? or were you with someone?
    was wondering what this would be like solo
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Yeah.....

OOH! I'm so excited! I'll be leaving in about an hour...FREDDY, HERE I COME!

I was there also on the 10th and found out on the web site for USH the park was open from 7pm -12am and i was kinda bummed that it was only open for 5 hours and the other haunted parks shipwreck and knotts Haunt are at least on Fridays open till 1am but at 8pm they posted that the park was open till 1am and i was happy..

as old performer at universal Studios i noticed that when Slaughter world 3 ( which I thought was the WORSE show there) the Pyro wasn't going off due to the High winds they were having..

Bill and Ted's Show all i have to say is "THE JOKER" was OMG perfect the rest of the show was meh..

I liked the Mazes but the Water spray Gags have to stop. i swear every Maze i went through i was Squirted in the face and after being squirted over and over it was getting lame. and one more thing Ive been a Knotts haunt monster for over 5 yrs and want to pass something to the Talent if they are reading this STOP getting so close and literally getting into guests face thats a good way to get popped in the face I like i had a Leather Face Talent at the terror tram get 2 inches from my face and literally blew in my face and i was like "what the hell" theres so many things wrong with that

thats my 2 cents and i thank you for your time

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

I'm still thinking about going.

But I keep hearing enough bad to middle of the road reviews to make me reconsider.
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_A_Mortis View Post
    I'm still thinking about going.

But I keep hearing enough bad to middle of the road reviews to make me reconsider.

theres good and bad things but the main thing is that for a theme park with a horror theme USH only has 3 mazes and 1 maze thats a yr round one so having the park only open on the weekends and let just guess 10+ thousand guests in the park the lines are REALLY long like up to 2 hrs and when the park is open for 5-6hrs and have other shows and a few rides its literally impossible to do everything and i don't think you want to fork up $89 for a Front of line pass... just try to get there as soon it opens and head for the mazes first and just try to hit them as fast as you can cuz around 9-10pm its totally packed and its crazy

• 'Sleeping Beauty'

The wind kinda spoiled it for me on the 10th....

did everything apart from chainsaw masacre..it was nearing the end of the night and I didn't want the 30 min travel time down the hill plus the wait time of the maze....I hate how disgusting the maze smells anyway..

I will be back though on the 18th as my friends husband is the lead stuntman in slaughterworld...

p.s did anybody else think the strangers addition in the house of horrors maze was lame?

yeah burlap masks isnt scary

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by J9000 View Post
    did you do the event alone?
    was wondering what this would be like solo
    I went alone. Mainly cause it's difficult to go with friends and trying to record the stuff I want. Lots of arguing. Alone, I just get up and go . But I'm going to Knott's Scary Farm on Friday and don't mind friends cause they don't allow videorecording anyways

Quote Originally Posted by sumostar View Post
    I was there also on the 10th and found out on the web site for USH the park was open from 7pm -12am and i was kinda bummed... but at 8pm they posted that the park was open till 1am and i was happy..

as old performer at universal Studios i noticed that when Slaughter world 3 ( which I thought was the WORSE show there) the Pyro wasn't going off due to the High winds they were having..

Bill and Ted's Show all i have to say is "THE JOKER" was OMG perfect the rest of the show was meh..
    I read 7pm-12am as well. But right when I got in the park before 7pm, they posted a 1am closing. So that was a cool surprise... even though the employee I talked to said it was planned for a 1am closing anyways... Maybe they had too many complaints last week or last year.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was the weather or part of the show to not have much pyro at the end. They was some sprinkles a few times in the night.

If you skipped my OP, THE JOKER did a small meet n greet at the end of the show when you exit left towards THE SIMPSONS near the backstage door. An awesome time to try and get a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by sumostar View Post
    [The Strangers] yeah burlap masks isnt scary
    Still reminds me of SCARECROW from BATMAN BEGINS. It would be awesome to have the burlap mask stranger and THE JOKER in a photo

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Ive personally worked in the Wild west Stunt show many yrs ago and also did a few water world shows when the wind is too high they wont set off the pyro when theres guests in the audience it just for safety .. i went the to the last show on fri and the ending was cut show and many guests were like thats it????... but soon after everyone was clear of the arena they shoot ed off the pyro and if you were there the park was already closed and then they went off they do that all the time its just the wind.. if they do get complaints from neighbors come on look at CITY WALK its louder and open late and thats closer hotels and Homes

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I went alone. Mainly cause it's difficult to go with friends and trying to record the stuff I want. Lots of arguing. Alone, I just get up and go . But I'm going to Knott's Scary Farm on Friday and don't mind friends cause they don't allow videorecording anyways

I read 7pm-12am as well. But right when I got in the park before 7pm, they posted a 1am closing. So that was a cool surprise... even though the employee I talked to said it was planned for a 1am closing anyways... Maybe they had too many complaints last week or last year.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was the weather or part of the show to not have much pyro at the end. They was some sprinkles a few times in the night.

If you skipped my OP, THE JOKER did a small meet n greet at the end of the show when you exit left towards THE SIMPSONS near the backstage door. An awesome time to try and get a photo.

Still reminds me of SCARECROW from BATMAN BEGINS. It would be awesome to have the burlap mask stranger and THE JOKER in a photo
    that would have rocked having Scarecrow and JOKER together

• Plastic Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    thanks,
    im doing the same in a couple of weeks, was worried it wouldnt be much scratch by yourself.
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Rides against injustice

I went to Universal on Friday also. I thought it was good but I thought last years edition was better. The Terror Tram was good but where the flip was Freddy??? We only saw him once!! Also I noticed a lack of scare characters in the mazes. Last years Texas Chainsaw maze was crazy because Leatherface would pop out almost non stop. It was intense. This year, not so much. The Freddy maze also had lots of gaps where nothing happened. LAME!!

Stopped by Guest Relations to write some compliments. Overhead guests complaining about the nature of the event (drugs, sex, violence...). Yeah, HELLO! Hallowen Horror Nights.
    lol..Complaining about the nature of the event?? Oh geez...

Last year I thought Universal almost beat Knotts for my favorite Halloween event. This year though, Knotts handily beat Universal.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

well look at Knotts theres like 12 mazes and 5 shows and USH has 3 mazes ( i dont count chamber of horrors cuz its a yr round maze) and 2 1/2 shows( Chuckys insult isnt really a show its just him talking crap) the Make up and Gore factor is Great at USH HHN but Knotts got way more Talent and more Veteran talent that you can actually remember from yr to yr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast