• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Aimster & Wonderpup go to the 2008 ALCS!

So I was able to score a ticket to game 6 of the 2008 ALCS (American League Championship Series) between the Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox. The game was at Tropicana Field in St Peterburg, FL... home of the Rays.

I didn't want to fight traffic since I knew the game was a sellout, so I got to St Pete super early. Gametime wasn't until 8:00pm, but I was there around 3:20pm. Got a good parking spot at the Trop.

The walkway from the main parking lot leading to the stadium is lined with tiles showing various undersea life.

A ray:

Sharks... I think:

Here we are!

The starting lineups:

Had to walk all the way around to where my ticket would be available for pickup through StubHub. Saw the TBS production trailers along the way:

The had K-9 patrol sniffing all the media equipment as they were checking in. Two labs... a yellow:

And a black... just like Wonderpup!

StubHub Will Call opened at 4:00. I was first in line so I got my ticket with no problems and proceeded to wait for the gates to open. Normally the gates open 2 hours prior to gametime, but today they opened 3 hours early. Probably because it's the playoffs and there were going to be around 40,000 people there!

The view from my seat (and Wonderpup taking a peek):

Score/video board:

The usher for my section was really nice and offered to take a photo of me and Wonderpup to prove I was there too! LOL!

I usually like to get non-typical ballpark food (I hate hot dogs). This time I had a yummy pulled pork sandwich that was quite filling. Later on I got my usual giant pretzel.

A couple TV cameras down from me:

A plethora of media folk. The number of them milling about before and during batting practice was insane!

Wonderpup got a Rays pin to wear on his collar:

GAMETIME!

Evan Longoria:

LET'S GO RAYS!

Skipper Joe Maddon and coach Martinez:

At one point in the middle of the game, the field was completly empty for 15-20 minutes. Not sure what was going on. I know the game came on late on TBS due to technical difficulties, but this was in like the 3rd or 4th inning. Seemed weird looking at the empty field like that.

Ok here we go... Carlos Peña:

Pitching change:

So... The Rays lost 4-2. Despite the loss, I had fun. I rang my cowbell so much I have a blister on my thumb. And I yelled so much my throat was sooooo dry after the game. I had to stop at the big bar in the stadium behind the outfield for a glass of water.

Tomorrow's game is for all the marbles. I'm hoping the Rays can pull off a miracle and win, but I have a sinking feeling it might not happen. So if this is as far as the Rays get this season, I'm still very proud of them. Who'dve thunk the team that lost 101 games two years ago would be in the ALCS this year? Even if the Red Sox win tomorrow, the Rays still won the AL East title over them and the Yankees... and that's quite an accomplishment if you think about it. They won the toughest division in baseball. Our team is young, so they have the potential to keep up the momentum for years to come. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays proved you don't need a bunch of overpriced egos to get the job done.

GO RAYS!

• Animation Domination

Re: Aimster & Wonderpup go to the 2008 ALCS!

Glad you had fun at the game.
    Boston would be a better fit in the World Series, but you never know it might be the Rays.

If the Red Sox make it to the World Series, I hope the Phillies beat the tar out of them. But I won't be watching. If the Rays lose tomorrow (well... today now), baseball season is done for me and I'll switch my attention to the Bucs and Red Wings.

• Circle of Ancients

If the Rays lose I could care less about the WS as well.

As for the delay, it was because the Home Plate Umpire was struck by a ball and had a bruised collarbone. I'm surprised they didn't announce it as another Umpire had to finish the game at home.

Great TR Aimster!!!

• The Voice of the Jungle

Nice trip report, it's nice to see the dome, and wonderpup again

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If the Rays lose I could care less about the WS as well.

As for the delay, it was because the Home Plate Umpire was struck by a ball and had a bruised collarbone. I'm surprised they didn't announce it as another Umpire had to finish the game at home.

Great TR Aimster!!!
    I totally missed that! I must've been looking elsewhere on the field.

One guy from the Sox hit a popup that landed in the catwalk behind home plate. That was funny. I'd loved to know how many baseballs are scattered throughout those catwalks up there.

Oh and if you watched the game and could hear what sounded like some dying moose... they were two rows behind me. We were cracking up laughing at those horns.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Looks like you and WonderPup had a great time! Love the pink hair, BTW!

^^ It's red, not pink.

• Animation Domination

Going to the World Series for the FIRST TIME EVER.
    Remember Philly is hungry to win the World Series.
    The team that went from worst to best.
    The team that also went from lowest attendance to highest attendance.
    That's three things Rays should be proud of.

The Rays are just as hungry as the Phillies are.

Blog Entries

Great game last night and wish I had been able to be at one of the games. I'm really proud of this team. They've built the franchise the right way using young talent and the farm system (not like the Marlins who bought both of their titles). I think they're going to be fun to watch for a long time. Hopefully winning that game last night gives them their confidence back. You could tell they were playing really tight, especially after losing game 5. Too many errors, and swinging for the fence way too much instead of just trying to string together hits (typical of a young team in a new situation). But they battled through and beat the Sox (who played a heck of a final 3 games.) I'm hoping that gives them the confidence to finish this out.

My only complaint with the Rays is that their stadium is a dump. Did their new stadium ever get approved?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    My only complaint with the Rays is that their stadium is a dump. Did their new stadium ever get approved?
    I believe I heard something about it being on the November Ballot. I'm sure somebody in Tampa can correct me if I'm wrong.

Winning a WS the year your new stadium is on the ballot to be approved is quite the incentive for the fans.

I had also heard if it didn't get approved, there was a chance they could move. Hope it doesn't happen.

I think Tampa Bay (especially the city of St Petersburg) would mutiny if the team considered moving.

I think the proposal for a new stadium will be on the ballot here next month. A committee was formed to help gain more interest for it. Even if it's not the elaborate waterfront one that's been talked about this year, the Rays do need one. The Trop is quirky, but this team could use something better. They're getting a brand new spring training complex in Port Charlotte to use starting next year.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice report, great job on getting tickets for the game.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Been looking for a "cheap" World Series ticket but I'm finding nosebleed seats for $1000! Insanity! I'll just watch on TV.