Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Sgt. Mgr. Melfunction (:

Re: Knott's Berry Farm: The Non-Haunt version

There is nothing wrong with amusement parks

• aka the scorpion eater!

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    We might as well just call it an amusement park now. The only theme in it is Ghost Town and even that is going down the drain!
    This is exactly the reason my sister is nagging me to spend more than just this coming Friday at Disneyland and opt to do the whole 2 day 2 park thing for this coming weekend [still its tempting because I could in technicality upgrade my free Birthday ticket to a 2 day hopper]

But I havent been to regular Knotts in forever [my last trip was 2006 and then this year for Haunt] and seriously when we go to Haunt this year, obviously its a given we arent doing the coasters and stuff so we might as well go do some coasters on this trip and enjoy... Still she has been giving me hell over it though and her argument which I fully agree with, is that most of the stuff is torn out.

And then she makes me feel all bad because she remembers being a young kid and participating in the Haunted Shack with the whole sitting on the chair hanging from the wall illusion and then she even goes as far as asking me why they had to replace it with a "Screamin Swing" that isnt even western.

Long story short, its an amusement park now, and owned by Cedar Fair... Cedar Fair is basically the owners of Cedar Point... Cedar Point = Roller Coasters and steel with lack of theme [from what I have read, if anyone knows different please correct me].

But for me, I love Amusement parks, I just know its a different experience than a Disney Park and personally I prefer Knotts for the fact their park has a good mix of rides, high speed roller coasters like Xcelerator and Silver Bullet, Extreme thrills like Supreme Scream [that I wont do again], Ghostrider [Best Wooden Coaster on the West Coast], plenty of flat rides with different thrill levels, a good mix of family oriented attractions, and of course the classic Ghost Town.

• Functional & Decorative

Compare Knott's to the typical amusement park (say, Magic Mountain, Great America, Knobels, King's Island, SFOT, etc.) in terms of theming, and there is still quite a bit. Not loads, granted, but enough to still call it a theme park in my book.

That said, Busch Gardens Europe almost outdoes Disney.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaleficentMel View Post
    There is nothing wrong with amusement parks
    I know there's not. I am amused at amusement parks, but the thing with Knott's is that it WAS a theme park until CF took over.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

We might as well just call it an amusement park now. The only theme in it is Ghost Town and even that is going down the drain!
    I wouldn't say Ghost Town is declining so much....it's all pretty good still over there, apart from Pony Express. It's still got quite a few streets and the museum, small quirky details, and the Mine Train and railroad and the Log Ride. There was a lot more good stuff than I was expecting.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Goofy

great pictures of ghost town. i only go to knotts once in a while but i should start going more often.

I know there's not. I am amused at amusement parks, but the thing with Knott's is that it WAS a theme park until CF took over.
    CF?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

CF?
    Cedar Fair, the new parent corporation.

Oh, I think I need to go there. I haven't and I want to.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post

The ever popular "leg of the fleeing lady of the night" display.
    Ahhh, but is she escaping or....Tempting? heehee
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

How close is Knotts to DL?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

How close is Knotts to DL?
    7 or so miles away. Very close

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Ahhh, but is she escaping or....Tempting? heehee
    Actually, the leg sporadically thumps on the wall, as if on the other side, the unseen-lady of the night is being possibly mauled by a grizzly bear and thrashing about in agony. It's all very strange. And they have a guy who just sits around to talk to you, except no one ever goes back to the jail to visit him, hardly...I hope he has a tv too, or a book. Poor Sad-Eyed Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    7 or so miles away. Very close

Ooh, would you reccomend that I go?

• aka the scorpion eater!

Ooh, would you reccomend that I go?

Yes, its fun to go and do but as I say, enjoy it for what it is and what its become... and dont expect much though as far as theme as Cedar Fair has succeeded in making Knotts just like all of their other amusement parks... [less theme more coasters]

[they own Cedar point which now trumps Magic Mountain on the most coasters in a park, thats to be expected though with their parks... sadly ]

For some of us who remember when the Knott Family owned the park and recalled a lot of the actual difference it ruins a lot of the magic the park once had.

Now as for myself I was at the tail end of the Knott Family owning the park because I am only going on 22 years old and the changover was sometime in the late 90's. I am sure there are others on here who are older than me and remember a lot more but I can say the park was a lot different when I was a kid. More emphasis was put onto the theme of the ghost town, the theme of everything, including some classic attractions that were unique to the park [Sky Jump and Soap Box Derby were my favorites as a kid]... the Walter K Knott Steamboat was also fun and while it might not have been Disneylands Rivers of america, Reflection lake was just different in its own right and the steamboat was always fun to ride around the river on... not to mention one thing I miss... Bigfoot Rapids used to have working waterfalls and you used to get 5x wetter than you do now since the waterfalls were turned off... it was not uncommon to get on it dry, and walk off it with your clothes 2x heavier and dripping with water.... but again, thats just the small details one by one declining by degrees.

But I say go and enjoy it for what it is, an Amusement park... lots of times Knotts runs many discounts and admission reductions throughout the year so if you can keep up on the discounted admission promotions the best part is that you never have to pay full price to get in a majority of the time.

Also the coasters there are lots of fun... Ghostrider was rated one of the best wooden coasters on the west coast one year [its very rough now but most wooden coasters are], Silver Bullet is a B&M Inverted coaster and features 6 inversions [seems typical for a B&M Inverted but its the variety in manuevers I think is unique with it], Xcelerator is a prototype of the launched coaster Cedar Fair used for their main park Cedar Point Top Thrill Dragster and Xcelerator is one of the only coasters like its type to feature 2 overbanked turns, Pony express seems kinda short but the seating arrangement seems unique and special, Sierra Sidewinder is a spinning coaster [think something along the lines of Crush's Coaster at WDS Paris but outdoors], and Supreme Scream is one of the tallest freefall tower rides on the west coast... So for thrills the rides are awesome

But for classic rides there is still the log ride, mine train, and the steam train where you could get robbed [its half the fun for the train robbers to walk on and rob everyone old west style at some point of the trip], There is still Sad Joe in ghost Town who you can talk with, and the Blacksmith, amongst other classic stuff.

Its worth going to but for food, you would have to try Mrs. Knotts at least one time in your life!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast