• MC State Comptroller

Sgtpeper @ 2009 Phoenix Comic Con (w/Pics)

Hey all! Thought I would share some photos from the 2009 Phoenix Comi-Con that I went to on Saturday. I used to attend Comic Conventions all the time, back in the day, but this is the first one i've been to in about 10 years and the first one I went to in Phoenix.

The Con started on Thursday night and ran thru Sunday. I was only able to go on Saturday, but that was the big day. From what I heard others say, this was the best one held in Phoenix since they first started doing them. They had some really great guests there, I went mainly to meet Brent Spiner (Data on Star Trek: TNG) but they had a few more guests than that as you will see in the pics below.

So I got up early to make the 1 1/2 trek to Mesa, AZ. Funny thing about the Phoenix Comic Con, it was held at the Mesa Convention Center. Now, for those of you not familiar with the layout of Phoenix, Mesa is a part of Phoenix as a whole, but is actually east of Central Phoenix. So I can kind of see their point in calling it the Phoenix Comi-Con, but still if someone didn't know better they would have shown up to a Boat show at the Phoenix Convention Center. Well Enough about Conventional (ha ha get it ) names and on to the show.

So I get there and meet up with my war time consigliere Aaritzimo (reezit's for short) who also was kind enough to volunteer for the convention and scope it out for me on Friday!

And yes he is rockin the John Oates look! Just waiting for his Daryl Hall so he can finally start-up "Private Eyes" the Hall and Oates Tribute band.

So we get there and there is a line and we patiently wait in line. Now the line was moving pretty fast so we got inside in no time! Problem was the Will Call line inside did not follow any logical rules for lines in the known universe. People were just standing around looking confused, and that was the people with volunteer badges. Reezits was able to get in and get his volunteer and pass badge and I finally got mine and off we went into the convention center!

Like I said above, pretty much the whole point for me was meeting Brent Spiner and getting his autograph. Reezits had scoped out the area before hand and took me right to his location and there he was, in all his glory, the man/android himself Mr. Brent Spiner aka/Data.

My favorite character on any Star Trek incarnation, my favorite actor on any Star Trek thingy, the reason I love all things Trek, a big part of the reason I am a computer geek and technician and ONE HELL OF AN AMERICAN!

Now the whole way down to Mesa I kept thinking about what I was going to say to the man. Was I going to play it cool? Should I say what an honor it is to meet him? Tell him I enjoy his wide body of work on Stage, Screen and Music? Will I geek out and start throwing technical questions about the Enterprise? Will I pee myself like a 12 year old at a Jonas Brothers Concert? Well you all would be glad to know I did none of the above. I stood there and stammered like I was a coked up Porky Pig. "Eibeta, eibeta, eibeta, W-w-would y-y-you si-si-sign this for me?" and handed him my cassette tape cover for the first album he did called "Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back". His versions of some famous standards from the 40's and 50's. He asked my name and luckily i was able to give him that and while he was signing, I complemented him on his work and told him I was a big fan. My heart was racing and I was shaking but I was able to thank him and walk away. I have been fortunate to meet some celebs in my time, but I have never been that nervous to meet someone like i was here.

Now something Cons have been doing for the past 2-3 years is offering what they cal a Photobooth with certain guests at the con. For a price a person can have a professional quality photo taken with the guest of their choice. What is really cool about this is it gives you a brief, but memorable one-on-one interaction with that guest. So for $30, I was able to get a photo with Brent in the photo booth. I don't have the jpeg on me, but I will post it here eventually, but don't fret chatters I did embarrass myself there too. When it was my turn I walked in, saw him there, and he greeted me and asked me my name and where I was from. I somehow spit out the words and also invited him to come up to where I live and offer to take him out to dinner for some good food because he looked skinny. Yes dear chatters I inadvertently asked Brent Spiner out on a date. Whether he thought that I did or did not or just forgot about me as soon as I left is unimportant. I, a straight married man, invited another straight married man on a date. Well here's hoping he calls anyway!

So after I was able to calm down enough to get my heartbeat back down to a respectable 150 BPM. I continued on my journey through the comic con.

At most cons, if you don't know, they have a slew of guests. From actors and actresses, to comic and anime artists, most cons try to get a good cross selection of guests to appeal to everyone. This con was no different. What was different to the other cons I attended 10 years ago, was the sheer amount of people dressed up as Anime characters. The last con i went to before this was in L.A. and there was a small section in the corner of the con for Anime. At that con the majority of people were dressed as Sci-Fi or Comic-book superheroes. That has drastically changed. This con had a few comic-book themed costumes like this one in the pic below

I thought he had the best costume there. So much so, that I took the picture because of it. I did not take any other "cosplay" pics. There were a couple of Star Wars costumes, a few comic-book inspired ones (mainly independent comic characters) and literally one man dressed as Deanna Troi. The rest were all anime based, and since anime is not my forte, i could not tell you who was who except to say I felt like I had Hiro-ed to Japan. Some were crap, some were good and a few were labors of love, but I could not tell you a Naruto from a Full Metal Alchemist.

Anyways back to the guests. Besides Brent Spiner both Marina Sirtis and Wil Wheaton were representing the TNG.

Marina was very disarming, nice and tiny. Very, very tiny. I so wanted to bring my Deanna Troi TNG action figure, but since I had not attended a con in awhile i did not know how the setup was going to be and I was worried I would not be able to get her to autograph it for me. Once I realized how approachable they set up the con, I really regretted it. But I picked up a classic Troi pic and she signed it for me and even added a little message to it. Very nice and classy lady.

Wil Wheaton. Hmm what can one say about a guy who's career included playing one of Stephen King's best kid hero characters Gordie Lachance "Stand By Me" with River Phoenix, a supporting role in the best "Die Hard in a Prep School" movies called "Toy Soldiers", with Sean "Samwise Gangee" Astin and TV's "Wesley Crusher" in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" with Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart. The man has acted opposite greatness on so many occasions it's not even funny! Well, i can say that he's a *****! No, Just kidding. He, IMHO, was the nicest guy signing autographs there. That's not to say everyone else was not, but he seemed to actually really enjoy the interactions with the fans the most and he spent about 2 minutes talking to me. A great guy, fantastic actor, a excellent writer (he has 3 books out that I strongly suggest anyone who is into Geekdom read) and blogger and a massive geek. He puts me to shame and i've contemplated getting a Linux penguin eating an Apple tattoo before! So I bought one of his books for him to sign and we chatted about girls asking him to sign their chests, the bait and switch drug pusher like tactics of the Public Library system and how his family was doing. Real nice guy.

The Con also had Lou Ferigno (The first Incredible Hulk) and reetz' got him to sign a cover of The Incredible Hulk.

The second original Lois Lane from the old Adventures of Superman TV show.

Chase Masterson, Leeta, from DS9, whom reetz worked with on a indie film shot in Phoenix a few years back. She didn't remember him, but pretended like she did so I guess she is nice, but I heard a few people at the con saying she was very put off by being there and somewhat rude so i don't know.

Reetz also had an old poster from the old Buck Rogers TV show which he had Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers)

And Erin Gray sign.

I offered Reetz a free lunch if he went up to Erin Gray and started to sing the "Silver Spoons" theme song, but he didn't want to be that guy!

The Con also gave me an excuse to break out my original lobby theatre poster of "Star Wars: A New Hope" since both Richard LeParmentier (Admiral Motti, the guy Vader force chokes in the Conference room on the Death Star in Ep 4) and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) were at the con signing. I was not able to get a picture of Richard but here is a pic of Mayhew

The man is BIG!!! He has huge hands and a soft voice. Both were good guys!

There is also a group of people who dress in very nice Stormtrooper outfits who come to cons to raise money for charities. They're known as the 501st and they apparently have chapters all over the country and in parts of Europe. They were very nice to allow me to take a pic and pose so here it is.

Like most cons they had panels on certain shows like B*G and Star Trek. I wanted to see the panel they were going to have on TNG but I forgot the cardinal rule of panel attending at cons. They do not clear the rooms out between panels. So those that were there for the B*G panel and any of the ones before it got to keep their seats. I can see why cons work that way, but due to that and the enormously long line for the TNG panel, they capped it at Capacity about 20 people ahead of me. It sucked, but hey what can ya do?

The actual convention area was pretty tight. Next year they are actually going to move it to the Phoenix Convention Center, which is huge, so that will give them a lot of space. They had a few nice booths there. I was able to add to my already enormous 80's toy collection with some DC Super hero action figures and some GI Joe and He-man toys. I all most ponied up a $135 for a 1984 Optimus Prime with trailer in original box, but did not want to have to explain that to the misses!

Todd McFarland was also going to be signing there, but he limited it to 150 people total and you had to go to his panel to attempt to even get a ticket, so I passed. Besides he has a store in Phoenix with all of his toys and signs there all the time.

All in all, i really enjoyed my time at the Phoenix Comi-Con and am looking forward to 2010 when they move to the Phoenix Convention Center. Maybe then i won't ask Data out on a Date!

Thanks for reading this long post!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• aka the scorpion eater!

Re: Sgtpeper @ 2009 Phoenix Comic Con (w/Pics)

omg I was going to go out to PCC this weekend since some of my friends in the Anime con scene were going to want me to go and stuff but things fell through when I got a wage garnishment about 3 months ago and the California road trip I planned for a month in advance wound up being cheaper... though theres a long story about the Cali trip being cheaper that I just dont want to talk about... oh well... I will explain when I post my TR

Glad you had fun at PCC... seriously I am so excited about next years comicon in 2010 anyways since its going to be held downtown in Phoenix [a lot closer to me yay!] and the host hotel is supposed to be either the new sheraton or the hyatt and the con is supposed to be at the Phoenix convention center! Yes much bigger place... that and I might have my cosplay ideas finished unlike this year due to budget constraints and other stuff going on

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Awesome thread. You are a storyteller. It is amazing that we idolize these people, but what it comes down to is that they are human and I think many individuals miss that.

Also, what's cool is you saw each as an individual beyond their characters. Wil Wheaton is, well, I read his blog on occasion and I wonder about his grasp on things. But if you say he's cool...I'll go with that instead.

You asked Brent on a date? Welcome to the modern age of bromance. However, I didn't realize he was straight and married. I'll check wiki here in a moment. I always thought...well...nevermind.

What I appreciated about Star Trek was that the actors and actresses actually were talented. These were pros on stage, Royal Shakespeareans and classically trained in the art. With all that pedigree, the willingness to come to these events says more about them--that they know which side their bread is buttered on. I applaud that.

And I applaud you for sharing.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

That was a fun report! It got me excited for Comic-Con out here in July. Don't forget to post if you get your date with Data! lol
    I want my cake back!

• no YOU shut up!

Blog Entries

great update. My husband and I exhibited there this weekend for the first time and it was a blast. I couldn't believe the line to meet Brent Spiner and the opportunity to play Rock Band with Wil Wheaton! Glad to know there are other comic con nerds on these boards. ;-)

On our agenda for this year: NY Comic Con, Seattle (Emerald City Con), San Diego (of course), and possibly Dallas or Atlanta since LA was cancelled.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Cool pictures and you know just how to tell a great tale. I wish I was there, I would have gotten a free lunch for singing Silver Spoons to Erin Gray!

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing.
    My brother works at a comic book store here in phoenix and know one of the guys that puts together the con, but we decided to pass this year. I figure once it moves to Phoenix I might actually check it out.

Also, I hate how all cities AZ seem to get lumped into Phoenix (scottsdale, glendale, mesa, etc)... but that's a different rant

Whaaaaa? Chase was rude and put off by being there? Um, no. She seemed happy to be there, very friendly, raised money for her charity.

This is how internet rumors get started...
    Last edited by Coxman; 01-27-2009 at 02:35 AM.

• MC State Comptroller

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got my Data pic and I'll post it late today or tomorrow. I really had a good time. And to those in PHX, who may go next year, we should plan a Phoenix Comi-Con Mice Chat meetup in 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coxman View Post
    Whaaaaa? Chase was rude and put off by being there? Um, no. She seemed happy to be there, very friendly, raised money for her charity.

This is how internet rumors get started...

Er, Um, let me repost what i originally posted on my TR when writing about Chase Masterson.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper
    Chase Masterson, Leeta, from DS9, whom reetz worked with on a indie film shot in Phoenix a few years back. She didn't remember him, but pretended like she did so I guess she is nice, but I heard a few people at the con saying she was very put off by being there and somewhat rude so i don't know.
    I did not say she was put off or rude, I said a few people where saying that. Even then I was being nice cause honestly I had heard more than a few people talking about her. I did not interact with so i don't know, which is exactly like I said. I was not trying to start an internet rumor, nor was I trying to cause any problems. I was just reporting what I was hearing and seeing.

Sorry if I greatly offended you. Just relax there budday!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

• mountains beyond mtns.

Thanks for the TR and pics!

It's nice to see a comic con where you can actually move about freely as opposed to the sea of humanity that engulfs the San Diego Convention Center every July.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I offered Reetz a free lunch if he went up to Erin Gray and started to sing the "Silver Spoons" theme song, but he didn't want to be that guy!
    LOL! I was wondering, "Is that the same Erin Gray from Silver Spoons?"

Oh and John Oates isn't rockin' the 'stache anymore. He looks WEIRD without it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Cool pictures and you know just how to tell a great tale. I wish I was there, I would have gotten a free lunch for singing Silver Spoons to Erin Gray!

Shoulda been with me last summer. I was playing pool with Erin Gray and her daughter!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MC State Comptroller

As promised here is the "professional" quality pic of the Legendary Brent Spiner and I taken at the Phoenix Comic-Con slightly before I asked him out!

Enjoy