Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• aka the scorpion eater!

Waterworld Safari is becoming Wet N Wild Phoenix [More pictures added]

My 300th post... this is a good one... LOL!

Its been forever since I have posted on here and things have been kinda wild in my life lately [wild stuff thats not going to allow a trip out to California at the end of may like we were planning but instead we are postponing it for a wedding of all things and at least Haunt is still planned and a side Disney trip is bound to follow]... so I knew what better way to start posting on here again then to bring a few presents from my neighborhood in Phoenix... and these are Water Park related which makes me so happy to see that Phoenix is finally starting to step up at least in waterpark entertainment! We still lack a theme park but a waterpark on the scale of this deserves some applause To be honest I havent seen waterslides of this calibur since I used to take summer trips to raging waters as a kid.

So I work in the North Valley and live near Deer Valley now actually down the street from this place... Waterworld is literally 1.5 to 2 miles from my new apartment complex and located in the Adobe Dam recreational area right on Pinnacle Peak Rd. and 43rd Ave and ever since moving out here to Arizona I have lived within a close enough distance to the North Valley so we would go to Waterworld every summer to cool off. We would either go there of the 3 waterparks owned by Golfland entertainment centers and most often it was Waterworld Safari as it was the closer than driving out to Tempe for Big Surf and Mesa for Sunsplash.

Now all 3 waterparks in Phoenix are very small and lack amazing rides and slides minus Sunsplash which features a tiny Master Blaster slide and they got a halfpipe slide and a bowl speed slide a few years ago.

So what happened one day a few weeks ago is the fact my sister and I noticed something at waterworld that looked a little different... Driving closer it looked as if the Black Mamba, Togo, and Cobra slide tower was gone and replaced by something. Upon driving closer we realized that in fact they are building some new slides at Waterworld and we were omg amazed that finally we will have something thrilling there. So naturally I didnt take pictures until today

Now just to give some information about the Old Waterworld Safari park. There were 3 main slide towers, a wave pool, and a lazy river... thats about it... I am including pictures taken from elsewhere on the net but this gives you an idea of the old waterworld as pictured from about.com...

and here is a link to a view of the old park from the birds eye which gives you an idea of how crappy the old park is compared to this new stuff

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=33.69641~-112.149761&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5710740&encType=1

Now on one slide tower there was a dark tube slide you rode in an inner tube which was kinda tiny and not too thrilling, then a duplicate of the same slide just not covered. Both were called Black Mamba and Togo. Right next that slide was another slide that you skated across the water on this heavy yellow sled that was called Cobra... it was so much fun but got closed down and remained closed for years.

The second slide tower featured 3 open slides you rode in an inner tube which 2 were mild and duplicates of eachother and one was a mild triple dip which was not too thrilling.

The third slide tower housed the Kilamanjaro Speed Slides which one was one of those vertical plunges [the only type of waterslide I will never ride] and the other was a double dip speed slide which I did a few times after getting over the nerves.

The Lazy river was amazing and one of the best things there so from the looks of things it seems they are keeping the lazy river and just plussing it. and the Wave pool is still in the same place too... the only surprise was seeing the waterworld logo replaced by a Wet N Wild logo.

Now there are still slide pieces in the parking lot and a lot of stuff is yet to be assembled but being the internet slueth I am, I was reading a lot about the new management and company leasing the park. I found out that a company names Harvest Family Ent. is going to be managing the park since they are US based but the real company fronting the money for this place is an Aussie firm that Owns Wet N Wild on the Gold Coast in addition to a few other Gold Coast theme parks and a waterpark in Oahu, HI. Reading up on this information the figure of money being spent on renovations to Waterworld is totalling about 26 million and the company has a 15 to 26 year lease on the property with rights to expand the park onto land that is currently part of the Adobe Dam Recreational area. In addition, the park is going to open on the 2009 season as an all new and fresh idea and park under new ownership and then after the 2009 season is over they will be expanding and adding more new stuff and surprises for the 2010 season... Right now the starter stuff is impressive enough and honestly if the starter stuff is that impressive I cant even imagine how amazing the new stuff for 2010 season will be. Not to mention I didnt know it was going to be renamed Wet N Wild until I noticed the Wet N Wild logo on the Wave pool... now I am triple excited as the Wet N Wild name usually means a better waterpark and while it may not be the best out there its better than what was there before which has me excited

Apparently the only thing I can find on the internet with the Wet N Wild name for Phoenix is something for twitter but I dont use twitter so if you do and live in Phoenix here is the link

Wet N Wild Phoenix (wetnwildphx) on Twitter

Anyhow... pictures speak for themselves... if any other Arizona micechatters have been to the old Waterworld Safari prepare to be amazed!

So my sister and I start driving and taking pictures...

You can see a red and a yellow slide being assembled

Now the yellow one looks like a Half Pipe slide but upon closer look its not... its some wild thing that looks like a rebound of some sort and that little hump at the bottom doesnt look too promising and looks like some airtime will be happening.

here is the small hump at the bottom... it looks like its placed strictly for airtime though I could be wrong.

Water Slide Pieces waiting to be assembled. My guess is that some of these slide pieces will be a freefall and body speed slide set of some sort and theres pieces to a lift hill for a multi person raft slide somewhere and there are slide pieces to a raft slide in the parking lot [no word yet on whether its going to be enclosed or not but I am hoping its going to be enclosed as Naptunes Fury was my favorite ride at raging Waters]

Now the only slide tower they kept inteact from the old waterworld was the tower itself for these 3 slides. This was the slide tower which originally hosted the 3 mild slides but these 3 tubes look prettier and are colorful rather than plain white and the slides are each different and more thrilling

In place of where Black Mamba, Cobra, and Python was there is a rainbow colored Racing slide... omg this is going to maybe be my favorite when it opens... I love racing slides and these look like fun!

Whats this... A funnel slide... We have never had one in AZ and will finally have one for our own.. I am so happy These are so much fun!

Not pictured is the new Family splash bucket play area they have set up which will be great fun for the children and there is some construction going on by the lazy river which looks like the river is intact as it always has been but it looks like its going to be plussed up and a lot prettier than it originally was.

Also if anyone else has contruction photos or anything, feel free to post them here because I dont know if I could keep progress on this even though this is down the street... but I will take photos here and there hopefully

I really think we should have a Micechat meet here for Arizona people... seriously this is a big thing for Phoenix and the Phoenix area... not to mention I am sure there are people on here who enjoy waterparks as well as Disney! I still dont have any info on when they are going to open for the 2009 Season but I would hope there could be one day many people could meet or something and tackle all those amazing waterslides... some of them look a lot wilder than anything else out here.

anyhow, comments, feedback, info, and any other postings are awesome to keep the thread going
    Last edited by tamasurvivor; 05-18-2009 at 10:42 PM.
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Waterworld Safari in Phoenix, AZ is becoming Wet N Wild Phoenix for 2009

We haven't been to the water park in about 7 years. I loved the one where you had to carry the yellow kind of rocket sled down. Maybe we can do an evening meet this summer out there, I can't be out during the sunlight too much or else I sparkle too much .

So when it opens for the summer tama you get to pick a Friday or Saturday night and we can all try to get together for some races on the new slides.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    We haven't been to the water park in about 7 years. I loved the one where you had to carry the yellow kind of rocket sled down. Maybe we can do an evening meet this summer out there, I can't be out during the sunlight too much or else I sparkle too much .

So when it opens for the summer tama you get to pick a Friday or Saturday night and we can all try to get together for some races on the new slides.
    They better be having night hours... its Arizona and we bake like thanksgiving turkeys... they would have night hours if they are smart because a majority of us desert dwellers stay inside until the sun goes down.

I dont know when its going to open but it should open in June sometime... I would definitely not think of an opening week though for a meetup maybe a month into the season would be good so it gives some time for the "new waterpark" crowd to die down a bit! But it would have to be before monsoon because the summer storms are unpredictable and come in and go as they please... hopefully we could arrange a micechat meet in late june or something.

Lo and Behold I found a news article on it in the local news site today...

Water park hiring for June debut

[As a disclaimer, please disregard the comments section of the article as people on AZcentral.com always seems to be infected with troll syndrome and are completely full of negativity on every news article posted]

If you look to the left tab theres some descriptions on the water slides they will be having and other information... and even a slide show of the construction progress can be found in the link below... Credit for these photos goes to AZcentral which is the Arizona Republic newspaper in online form.

Wet ‘n' Wild Phoenix to debut in June

Also here is the website that will be soon made for Wet N Wild Phoenix... seriously this place is going to rival amazing waterparks I grew up with like Raging Waters.

Wet'n'Wild Phoenix - Opening June 2009

Anyhow... heres the information on the park... At a price that low I am already stoked to get my season pass

Admission

• Ages 12-59, $34.99 plus tax.
    • Ages 3-11, $26.99 plus tax.
    • Ages 60-plus, $26.99 plus tax.
    • Ages 2 and younger, free
    • Parking: $5
    • Early bird season passes, $59.99 plus tax.
    • After park opening season passes are $69.99 per person or $64.99 when you buy four or more passes.
    • Information: www.phoenixwetnwild.com or call 623-201-2000

Hours and operating schedule

• It opens mid-June through Nov. 1. It opens at 10 a.m. and closing time will vary throughout the season.

• 4243 W. Pinnacle Peak Road, at the Adobe Dam Recreational area on the border of Phoenix and Glendale
    Source: Wet 'n' Wild Phoenix

Water rides

• Maximum Velocity, a dueling H20 coaster, allows guests to race in tubes down two side-by-side slide tracks. The gravity-defying water coasters blast riders uphill on jetted water and over 830 feet drops and curves.

• Desert Palms Playground is an interactive ride with nine slides and more.

• Monsoon Bay is a wave pool ride with 4-foot high swells in tube or body surf for an ocean experience. The bay also features a Dive 'n' Movie events throughout the summer.

• Phoenix Flyers allows you to create an experience with a choice of three slides and drops down a four-story tower.

• Desert Racers takes guests headfirst on a racing mat into an enclosed tube, and then loops downhill. This 240-foot raceway launches riders from 42 feet high and down the slides at speeds of more than 20 feet-per-second.

• Tornado starts at 38 feet high in the air through a 160-foot tunnel before plummeting into a large body of water.

• Cactus Cooler is a place to relax on a tube as it floats through water.

• Serpentine Complex is two coiling slides and one super bowl. The drops and twists of the more than 320-foot slides aren't for the faint of heart.

• Raging River is a family raft that winds over 600 feet of the river canyon walls, around sharp turns and over steep drops.

• Mammoth Falls features waterfall drops of 57 feet before the raft goes vertical, shoots up a wall, then falls back before arriving at the calm waters below.

• Soak'em Sprayground is an interactive children's playground filled with water activities.

Source: Wet 'n' Wild Phoenix
    I am most excited about Tornado, Maximum Velocity, Mammoth Falls, Raging River, and Desert Racers [thats more attractions than the original Waterworld ever had]... and to find out they have more planned in expansion all lined up for 2010 just gets me all excited
    Last edited by tamasurvivor; 04-24-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: incorrect information...

Oh and if there is going to be an attraction called Cactus Cooler... I expect to see them selling Cactus Cooler... the most amazing soda ever... its one thing I miss about California, I never have seen them sell it here!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

With temps easily getting near 120 degrees in the summer... you guys NEED all the water fun you can get!! I'd love to go to the water park in Palm Springs, but I refuse to be seen in anything resembling a swim suit in public!

Totally awesome tho!! You guys will have a blast this summer hanging out there!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Thanks for sharing this...nice pics...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

did someone say Cactus Cooler?!?!?

Thanks for posting about this! I heard about this on the local news so I googled "Wet n' Wild Phoenix". Your MiceChat post was the first link to come up! How ironic considering I visit MiceChat on a daily basis for D-land updates :-)

Well... I guess its free publicity for Wet N Wild then if it showed up on a google search... I am just so excited about it opening this June and I hope they do really well despite the economy being as bad as it is... I am so stoked that we are finally getting the waterpark we as Phoenix people deserve! No more dinky slides and dismal thrills

Ok So the new Website for Wet N wild is up... and you can add them on facebook myspace and twitter

Water Park, Water Theme Park, Family Holidays - Wet'n'Wild | Phoenix Wet'n'Wild

Also here is a nifty awesome look at the park map.... so amazing and so much more than Waterworld ever had Although if you look at the map they are keeping the wavepool and the lazy river... I am so happy the lazy river is staying the same... out of all the lazy rivers in valley waterparks, Waterworld had the best one so I am so glad its being kept! And I see trees around the lazy river... something Waterworld didnt have!

Pretty much its the same layout as Waterworld just with a lot of extra new stuff on the sides in the areas that were vacant patch of desert. And I noticed theres shade structures/tarps [just like on Mickeys fun wheel que... LOL] which will be a good thing when the valley gets those summer temperatures and monsoon storms

• Let there be light!

Quote Originally Posted by tamasurvivor View Post
    So I knew what better way to start posting on here again then to bring a few presents from my neighborhood in Phoenix... and these are Water Park related which makes me so happy to see that Phoenix is finally starting to step up at least in waterpark entertainment! We still lack a theme park but a waterpark on the scale of this deserves some applause To be honest I havent seen waterslides of this calibur since I used to take summer trips to raging waters as a kid.
    Now time out, we have 1 theme park: Castles N' Coasters!!
    www.castlesncoasters.com

Besides that, this is wonderful news! It's been years since AZ has received some kind of "upgrade." Out of the three water parks we have here, I live closest to Big Surf, which is rumored to have one of the first wave pools in the US.

As soon as I read this, I jumped over to Golfland's website, since they originally owned all 3 waterparks here and came up with this:
    PHOENIX
    Golfland also owns some parks in CA...alright enough with the facts.

Thanks for posting this tamasurvivor, I might have to check out the new park this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLD View Post
    Now time out, we have 1 theme park: Castles N' Coasters!!
    www.castlesncoasters.com

Besides that, this is wonderful news! It's been years since AZ has received some kind of "upgrade." Out of the three water parks we have here, I live closest to Big Surf, which is rumored to have one of the first wave pools in the US.

As soon as I read this, I jumped over to Golfland's website, since they originally owned all 3 waterparks here and came up with this:
    PHOENIX
    Golfland also owns some parks in CA...alright enough with the facts.

Thanks for posting this tamasurvivor, I might have to check out the new park this summer.
    I highly doubt Castles'n'Coasters is a "theme park"... I never count it as one since IMO its more of a mini golf family fun center with a rickety double loop roller coaster, a tiny unthemed log ride, and a few off the shelf rides. I never have counted it since I grew up in California and when you grew up with places like Knotts, Six Flags, and Disney and move out here where the biggest roller coaster is that double loop you kinda have a hard time counting a place like that as anything more than a typical family fun center

But Castles'n'coasters does have a pretty decent arcade and I have played lots and lots of DDR and In the Groove in there before! And the Go Karts and Mini Golf are lots of fun... and that Sky Diver ride they added a few days ago is kinda cool because drop tower rides are lots of fun! But the new Wet N Wild up in my neighborhood is so much better than anything else we have here.

I was reading that the Mammoth Falls ride [that yellow one I got a few pictures of is going to be a family raft style ride with that 50 foot drop and that rebound type of thing... not to mention an inner tube Bowl style slide, and just about most wild water slide types you can think of like the Tornado funnel and Master Blaster racing slide or the racing sled type of slide!

well for those who have been reading this thread here are some more pics of Wet N Wild taken this last weekend... everything is starting to take shape and look mighty pretty

Here is Maximum Velocity which seems to be coming along pretty good. Master Blaster slides are amazing but this one is a racer meaning you can race against your friends on a master blaster! Also below on the tower is a picture of the Serpentine complex which features one bowl slide and 2 other slides.

More of Maximum Velocity and the Serpentine Complex...

Heres is a look at the backside to Mammoth Falls and Raging River, I am so excited about Mammoth Falls, basically the ride is going to be a family raft style ride with a large drop and big wall you climb... and raging river looks like the typical family raft slide.

Side view of Mammoth Falls and Raging River...

Here is a bit of dirt lot over by the Victory Lane Baseball park which could maybe be going towards extra parking from what Waterworld had or it might be area for future expansion but it looks like it might get paved over for parking...

Omg, if you look at this pictures of the expansion area you can faintly see a prairie dog out in the expansion/parking lot/????? area... look at the bottom of the pic...

Phoenix Flyers is coming along nicely... I really think this is going to be fun, dark and enclosed slides are awesome...

Tornado is coming along nicely and there is a lot of completion on it... This is probably going to be one of my favorites, maybe a toss up between this and Mammoth Falls...

Desert Racers has been pretty much done for a while, but heres another pic of it...

If you look closely at this pic, you can faintly see the bowl slide in the serpentine complex...

Question Re: Waterworld Safari in Phoenix, AZ is becoming Wet N Wild Phoenix for 2009

it spunds fun cuz i ve been 2 all of the golfland water parks in arizona (water world, sunsplash, big surf) but most the rides r body slides it looks like. and on the yellow one that goes into a half pipe thing how do you not go over the edge???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast