Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk pictures

...and a short TR.

I didn't realize until that night that this adventure kicked off on Earth Day. Possibly good karma was at work. My means of getting there: bus. My motive probably wasn't so Earth Day-ey though: I was here to
    Spoiler
    pick up a car

Downtown San Jose, for a short while

A big sports arena it looks like. I haven't yet looked it up to see what it is.

----------------
    My folks live in the area, and I visited and stayed. The following day, having taken care of the business I came here to take care of, I headed off into town to mess around a bit.

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

There's a series of concerts this summer, featuring several bands from the 70's and 80's. The designer of this poster has helpfully provided the name of a well-known song by each band.

These shots are a bit underexposed in general, making the weather look rather gloomy. It wasn't: there was just some of the usual low-lying coastal clouds/fog along with a bit of normal cloudiness. Being an off-season weekday, there were only a limited number of attractions and dining open, with the ride-pass price adjusted accordingly; ~$16 I think instead of the usual $30-something. I didn't ride any today, wanting to limit spending. (But don't worry, I'd been here once before and rode the two main coasters.)

If you're riding this for the first time, try to ride near the back: the already-cool beginning is made all the better.

Closed today: off-season. It's not rainy, it was just being washed.

This is called "Hurricane". It's OK; a bit clunky, but has some interesting elements. According to RCDB it was built in 1992 or so. I was here last in 2003 so I don't know if it's any different now (refurbished, degraded, etc).

25 feet! Wow! (Alright...it's on the small side at 125', but it's the "bouncing" type so it's not over in a flash. This could be a good "intro" ride for those wondering if drop rides are their thing or not.)

Originally there used to be a big swimming pool in here. Oh, and, something here looks familiar somehow...

Climbing...

...all the way to the clerestory.

In addition to the mini-golf (I'd like to play this course sometime), there's a pool hall (as in billiards), and one of at least three video arcades on the boardwalk. After this I meandered over to the main arcade, nearby at the west end of the boardwalk under the Cocoanut Grove ballroom (which in recent decades has been relegated mostly to serving as a conference center).

I wandered out on the beach, and then over to Wasteotime Pier for pictures. The conclusion I came to after coming out here last time was only verified and reinforced: it's indeed a waste o' time to come out here. But, I wanted pictures. (Possibly, though, the two seafood markets and their fish-n-chips outlets might be worth patronizing. The rest I've officially written off, the reason being excessive negativity.) I did get my pictures:

Here's a quick-and-dirty panorama. Click on it for a big version !
    (Due to various limitations, this had to be done off-forum and in sections.)

...and then made like a tree and skidaddled.

(It seems mine and probably other lower-end digicams aren't consistent from picture to picture, even when using the same manual setting for each.)

This was about it for the pics. I was kinda starving now. Out of curiosity, I wandered a bit around town behind the boardwalk to see what was around. This area is mainly just homes and apartments, and several hotels. Plus this area is separated from downtown by a ways. (I was thinking about walking downtown to doink around a while and then coming back, but it was further than I wanted to walk.) Any stores and such are limited to along the street outside the boardwalk.

This caught my eye:

There's a big event and dinner coming up, related to the Boardwalk's 100th anniversary I think. Parties of 7 or more are subject to a 15% service charge. Yes, that's what it really is, not a--hey, you know what, unlike a certain--ahem--barbecue, those who made this one actually got it right!

After wandering around a bit more, it was a wrap and I hit the road. Now very starving, I headed out of SC and off east to the "modern" areas. Going by past experience elsewhere, I was thinking the places back around the boardwalk area would probably exhibit the needless unfriendliness like at Wasteotime, and I wasn't in the mood to put up with this and really just wanted Ordinary and Reliable. Without too much trouble I found what I had in mind, and it was oh so worthwhile.

That's all, folks!

• The one and only

Re: Some Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk pictures

Great TR! Last time I was there (October for the band review), I rode the log ride 6 times in a row before a 2.5 hour bus ride with some of the windows rolled down. Next year IWILLNOTRIDETHATDANGRIDE.

• Lackey

Love the Boardwalk! Thanx for posting the pics. May have been worth the walk over just for that panorama shot - looks nice in the big version.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Ride The Road To Destiny

I might go to Santa Cruz sometime in the future. The park I work at, Belmont Park, is the sister park of Santa Cruz and one of our old rides was in the Hurricane Coaster pic. Its at the bottom and its called Sea Serpent.
    Rocket Rods 1998-2001 May you rest in peace.

"From the imagination of Walt Disney and NASCAR presents a second generation in Tomorrowland Rapid Transit. Rocket Rods V2!"

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Nice pics!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Being raised in the central valley, Santa Cruz was the beach we would always travel to for vacation. Many fond memories of that place!

Thanks!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice pictures!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordiekins View Post
    Great TR! Last time I was there (October for the band review), I rode the log ride 6 times in a row before a 2.5 hour bus ride with some of the windows rolled down. Next year IWILLNOTRIDETHATDANGRIDE.
    Get a little wind chill? A couple days before I was there would have been a good time for any wet rides. It was in the upper 90's, even at the coast. My folks confirmed this.

The "sports area" is the "HP Pavilion" or also called the Shark Tank when the San Jose Sharks play there, they are a pro ICE Hockey team.

The HP Pavilion also hosts various other events, concerts, the circus, etc.

It is not that old and is really nice. It is the first Arena in our area. Major Events used to be held up in Oakland or San Francisco. This is a 45-60 minute drive.

Chris

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Looks like I may have to hit Santa Cruz for some of the night time entertainment. Talk about flash backs. Interesting to see Papa Doo Run Run on there. I remember them when they used to perform at Videopolis in Disneyland in the late 80's.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Functional & Decorative

Love Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Too bad you didn't have time to hit downtown... it has one of the best independant bookstores (the University). Can't wait until they get their new dark ride, hopefully next year!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01spirit750 View Post
    The "sports area" is the "HP Pavilion" or also called the Shark Tank when the San Jose Sharks play there, they are a pro ICE Hockey team.
    Thought so: I was figuring that was the Sharks' arena; it looked the proper size. "HP Pavilion" is a familar name too. The Sharks/Ducks playoff game the following evening was actually broadcast on that one classic-rock station; a bit unusual for an FM station it seems. But as soon as I left the Santa Clara Valley it expectedly fizzled. Although I don't follow the NHL that much, I was rooting for the Ducks. Sorry--sorry, sorry, sorry ... sorry ...
    (Our local team has an affiliation with them)

As for downtown, I could have hung around that first day but the bus schedules aligned with each other oh so perfectly... But like I said, I have family in the area and will be back before too long. I'd prefer to be able to ditch the car and not deal with parking-meter musical chairs and all that. But it's a good 40-minute walk from my folks' to the nearest bus stop. I'll see.

great pics...love it..!!!
    my heart is yours

• Sock Puppet

Awesome pictures. Love the Boardwalk! Its worth walking, never failed to bring a bottled water.

We go to the Boardwalk several times a year. It's only about 45 min to an hour away. Now I'm itching to go this weekend, thanks alot. (haha)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast