• aka the scorpion eater!

Memorial Weekend crowds

So even though I kinda have to miss the rally due to the wedding I have going in August which will be eating a huge chunk of our expenses we planned for the Gumball rally, my sister is planning a turn around trip to go get her dress and get fitted and ordered for it in California over memorial weekend. Now the only weekend she is able to get off to do this is Memorial Weekend and I pitched the idea that since we both have that monday off we might as well do a little something on the side for one extra day to enjoy ourselves rather than stop to get the dress ordered and paid for and drive all the way back to Phoenix. Especially since we will be in California for a short period of time and I work for a hotel chain so I could get hotel discounts if needed.

Now I know the typical rule is that anywhere is going to be a madhouse on this weekend which is what I am assuming. But does anyone know of any good ideas of places, parks, or fun stuff to do in Southern California over Memorial Weekend that may be able to be done that might have less of a crowd or am I asking for a miracle where one probably wont happen.

I know Disneyland is out of the question since Memorial weekend and crowds of that magnitude just scare the crap out of me and would be too much stress before driving all the way back to Phoenix not to mention Disney is best done when we could take more than one day which will be sometime in October when we plan out Haunt trip. Not to mention on expense, my sister is going to be buying a dress for the wedding which will eat into some funds so we are trying to do something more cost effective if we do someting else out there.

Now for some ideas as of theme parks, I know I could get discounts on Knotts tickets for about $30 per ticket and the same with Six Flags admission which is also $30 per person. But then again, I am pretty sure the waits for coasters at both parks may exceed 2 hours per coaster. But Knotts is also open until 10pm on that day and I have yet to look into Six Flags Hours but I am pretty sure its also longer than normal. I was also thinking of Universal while it is more expensive the discount I get is still pretty good and they are open until 9pm on that night which is not as normal for them and being they are mostly the tram tour and shows this probably wont be too bad to see everything even on a crowded day if you plan it right. But again the rides themselves may carry long waits up to 2 hours.

Another option we were debating on was to hit one of the waterparks as this would be opening weekend for the summer season. And since our new Wet N Wild does not open until Mid June it would satisfy our waterpark fix until Wet N Wild opens up. I know we have not been to Raging Waters in forever and I have never been to Knotts Soak City in Buena Park and does anyone have any information on Wild Rivers? I grew up in SoCal but have yet to ever visit them. Also just like the theme parks, being that opening season is in memorial weekend, does this mean crowds will also be flocking to the waterparks too? I know this option was tossed around because most waterpark admissions are about 30 or less and thats doable for us after she buys the dress.

And the final option we were looking at because costs are almost next to none with this option is maybe just getting the dress, getting some food somewhere at some unique restaurant we dont have here in Arizona and driving back if everything is going to be a madhouse. But I have also been thinking the beach is going to also be fun and the beach is always an option too since it doesnt cost much to bring some food/snacks along and look at the ocean water and sit on the sand. But again, I am thinking I might not be the only one with this idea.

Anyone have any advice. Keep in mind that the day we would maybe do something different would be on a sunday before we drive back to Phoenix. So we would stay saturday somewhere cheap and do something sunday and drive back afterwards.
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Memorial Weekend crowds

I would expect Magic Mtn. to be busy that weekend as they are opening a new coaster on that Saturday.

Generally expect any theme/amusement park to be busy, not just Disneyland.

• Goofy

sounds like knotts might be a possible option for you. how has knott's been doing when it comes to memorial day?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    sounds like knotts might be a possible option for you. how has knott's been doing when it comes to memorial day?
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Generally expect any theme/amusement park to be busy, not just Disneyland.

• Rides against injustice

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    lol

Six Flags will probably be the worst with their new ride opening, followed by Disney and then Knotts.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• aka the scorpion eater!

Well... The beach is seriously sounding better but still I have a feeling beaches will also be packed beyond belief and yeah theres only so much ocean but still there are some less crowded beaches that might be doable too.

As for parks, I can understand 2 hour lines for coasters at Knotts but I am sure with Memorial Weekend the waits for Ghostrider and Xcelerator will be insane and beyond that... but crowded days are kinda meh anyways but still $30.00 on admission for KBF or Six Flags isnt bad and even if Six Flags is opening the new Terminator it might be worth it to just be there to say I was there on opening weekend... I guess the waterpark options still sound like fun too since our new one here doesnt open up until mid June but if all gets too crazy I am tempted to just wait until Haunt season when we can do Knotts and Disney all on one trip.

Thanks for the input... we are still trying to decide on what to do out there and whether skipping the sight seeing and opting for a nice dining experience and drive back due to a busy weekend would actually be a better idea.

Still... Waterparks are hella tempting as opening season is usually memorial weekend. But I know I am probably not the only out there with that monday and weekend off... I guess my real question is really... How bad will crowds be because I know they are bound to be there but how bad?
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!