Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upside Down Rides Rides/Coasters

What does it feel like to go upside down on a coaster and a flat ride? What would be a good starter coaster? I have been whating to try one, but I don't know what it feels like.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Upside Down Rides Rides/Coasters

CA Screamin' is a really good starter coaster IMO. VERY smooth. That is, assuming it's open.

Revolution at SFMM is also a good one. That was my first.

• ZiGzAg [C.C.C.]

my first loop roller coaster was Windjammer at Knotts Berry Farm. I was about 9 years old and I only remember flying off my seat on the first drop. Going on a loop feels like ur kinda getting pushed into your seat, it feels like your going straight, but everything is turning upside down. A good starter coaster would have been Windjammer, but it doesnt exist anymore, so the next one up is Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mtn.

• Disneyland Historian

A good starter Up Side Down Coaster would be a coaster that:

1.Has only one loop (no cork screws or other inversions).

2.Is a really smooth ride.

• Banned User

My first ever upside down roller coaster was screaming, and I loved it. I am a big scardy cat so when I went on it I was like crap, I am to scared. well I rode it 3 times straight! do not be afraid. California Screaming is totally smooth and not scary at all.

my first upside down rollercoaster was Indiana Jones and the temple of doom at Disneyland Paris back in 1993 when i had 9 Years old .
    HKDL : Done !!!

I agree that CA Screamin' and Revolution are good starter coasters for going upside-down...however, I would highly recommend trying out Montezuma' Revenge at Knott's Berry Farm..it's pretty straight forward and a great loop!! After enjoying that you you may check out Boomerang and Silver Bullet....Knott's also has a flat ride (I can't remember the name at this point) that spins upside to try as well....

Good luck and enjoy!! Let us know what you try!!
    DannyBoy

• ...TWO BITS!

My first was Rockin RollerCoaster at Disney MGM. But I had my eyes closed and i missed all the visuals. But when I go back, I will definately have them open. I think that ride has 3 loops and some corkscrews.

Then I went on Dueling Dragons in Islands of Adventure. I think Ice was smoother than Fire. But they were both pretty rough. I didn't want to go on Hulk because it was really high. But I will go on that next I go back. I'm told it's really smooth.

Finally I got DCA's CA screaming. In my opinion, this is a great starter. Only one loop. Going upside is just like someone here said: you go faster, feel the positive G-force, you sink into your seat, and might feel a little dizzy only becuase you see you're going upside down. It's not bad at all!

Next thing I must conquer is heights/ going up and down. I managed to go on Tower of Terror in Disney-MGM and DCA. But I hate that negative G-force feeling. I still haven't gone on Mailboomer.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

I just went on my first looping coaster was Raptor at Cedar Point, and that wasn't even two weeks ago. I freaked out so much since I had such a fear of rollercoasters, and this coaster doesn't even have a floor.

Now it's my second favorite coaster, Magnum XL-200 being my favorite. Don't be afraid, since you might have regrets later on. :]

• Minion

I say, go all out and get on the biggest wildest thing you can...

Sure it'll scare the CRAP outta you, but everything after will be cake! Best one in Southern California is X.

And if you're feeling REALLY ballsy, try Stealth at Great America near San Francisco...

This is X. See that first drop? It's almost 90 freakin degrees! And keep in mind that the seats flip and rotate independently from the track. That first drop will send the seats forward, making you face the ground...

Here's Stealth. It's similar to X except the seats don't rotate. Instead, you start the ride by laying down in the seat. As you climb the life hill, the seats lay against the track. All you see is air during the lift because the track is behind/under you. Then when you get to the top... the whole thing reverses, and the track is above you. All you see is the ground and open space. Freakier than you can imagine!

• Senior Minion

My first was the "Tidal Wave" at Great America. Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's is just like this one loop and back and that's it.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 12-04-2005 at 03:04 PM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• The Candidate

My first loop was the Python at Bush Gardens in Tampa.

The first thing to tell yourself is that the loop feeling is really short - a couple of seconds at most. This may help you to get over the fear enough to actually get on the ride. If possible, I would actually suggest a corkscrew for a first timer. This doesn't give you the full effect of reversing gravity and may let you ease into it.

California Screamin' would be another excellent first ride. Since there is only one loop, you won't freak out during the ride if you don't like the feeling. Besides, it is a really good coaster. More fun than terror.

I would not recommend the Revolution at Magic Mountain. The loop is great, but the ride is uncomfortable since they retrofitted the safety harnesses. I can't ride it now without getting a headache. Also, it has been slowed down way too much.

Whatever you do, don't even consider X as your first ride. Great ride, but it is terrifying! Let me describe it this way, most big coasters give me a pit in my stomach as I prepare to ride them the first time. I've been on X several times and still get that feeling before I ride. Xcelerator at Knott's is the only ride that does that after multiple ridings.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I say, go all out and get on the biggest wildest thing you can...

Sure it'll scare the CRAP outta you, but everything after will be cake!
    Great advice, my first "big" coaster was Millennium Force. No loops, but really steep overbanked turns (close enough). The first drop is scary as hell at an 80 degree angle drop at 93 mph, it's so amazing. (even if your heart stops for a second or two on the drop). But anyhow, everything else was only merely fun or they seemed like they moved at a crawling pace.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I can't tell youy what my first steel looper was...but I can tell you there is a difference to going upside down on a coaster to doing it on a flat ride.
    I love coasters, I HATE flat rides. All you do is spin to get sick. Not for me.
    o if you want to try it, try it on a coaster first.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Boomerang @ Knott's, Scream @ Six Flags. Boomerang is a good starter, scream isn't I just felt like listing it. Also Flashback at Six Flags is a good starter, if it is still open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast