• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Cool Penelope's Visit to the San Luis Valley and the Movie Manor

Stay-cations. The newest buzzword for travel these days. It means, with today's troubled economy, it is easy to stay nearby and see the sites. Colorado is a great state in that way-built on tourism and ranching, there is a ton of stuff to do!

My partner and I have needed to get away for some time. There is a high possiblity of his losing his job soon; and my own difficulties in my place of employ have narrowed down travel options. We're conserving, to be sure, but, well, I was born under the sign of pisces, and we are known for our abilities to roam and see the world. We needed a weekend to get away.

Penelope is our corgi and not as experienced as a world traveller. So we decided it was time for our little girl to see Colorado. If we get a job out of state, she's going to have learn how to handle long hours in the truck, and this might be a good training ground.

We elected to head to the San Luis Valley. There, we would take up residency at the Best Western Movie Manor. Kitsch to the max, all hotel rooms face the local drive in theatre...and sound is pumped into all the rooms. Wickedly stupid and terrifically fun. Check it out!

Penelope inspects the snack-stash in the bed of the pick-up. No, she didn't ride back there, but the back gate was open and I needed her to hold up as we got ready.

Penn's and myself discuss the road trip. Four hours until the destination.

Penelope doesn't really like road trips...but if the family is together, even our small one, she's good to go.

My partner and I used to come down here when it was THE place for racing. But as soon as it started doing well, it closed for some reason!

This Friday, as we drove to Monte Vista, the Department of Highways decided to reroute all traffic. THis added another 2 hours of drive times. And for those two hours of small towns, this is all we saw...

We got the Humphrey Bogart room. Each room is decorated in great campy film strips and reels.

Here is the view from our ground level room. The movie on this screen would be "Up." Yep, Disney. Didn't plan it that way, but it worked for me and my partner. That building in the foreground is the snackbar and the owner's home as well!

And then there is a second screen, playing 'Land of the Lost.' It is off to the right. We'll probably watch that tonight.

My partner waiting for the movie to start. We had huge thunderstorms this Friday and tornado warnings on the high plains here.

THere's a story behind this picture. My little corgi LOVES popcorn. I can't say the word at home, I can sign the word at home and I can't even say the word in French. She knows the word popcorn in three different languages. So when I walked over to buy a bag before the flick and she saw me from the bed here, she went ape. If you look between us, she even offered me her "baby-blue" toy to get my attention--just for one tiny morsel. Heck, she's not even allowed on the beds at home, so she's really digging this trip!

Well, we're on the road right now, so I'll publish today's pictures tomorrow. We spent the day at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Tonight we'll watch another movie.

Thanks for coming with us!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• BuckyCat

Re: Penelope's Visit to the San Luis Valley and the Movie Manor

Wow this is really nicely done!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks! I'll post more in the morning or when I get back!

How's the cat? (Satchandbucky is watching my house whilst I'm gone..)

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

I think Penelope could get used to this traveling thing! Movies, popcorn, time on the bed.

Looks like a great time!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Camera problems...will have to share this tomorrow, I guess! ARGH!

Peace,
    Roo

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow, what a fun and kitchy TR, I can't wait to read the rest

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

More please!

What a great idea for a getaway. I like knowing that there are still drive-ins and it's even cooler that it appears to be in the middle of nowhere with a motel attached. Neato!

Love the close-up picture of Penelope in the truck. She's pretty.

• Minion

Penelope is so sweet! I recently lost my sweet Corgi/Cattle Dog mix, so your Penelope stories are very touching. I love the popcorn bit.

The hotel sounds like fun! Looking forward to more TR!
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

PART TWO

Sorry for the dramatic pause.

One of the big pulls to the San Luis Valley is one of our newer National Parks. In the northeast corner, a few million years in the making, is a pile of fine, air-hewn, sand--the Great Sand Dunes. I had been here once prior. It was a bit creepy, I kept expecting a beachhead on the other side. Alas, there's no real beach. But apparently, the entire town of Alamosa was there. They bring beach chairs and swimsuits and set up their afternoon! One I was last here, it was autumn, so I just had to giggle. We were ill prepared. I figured we'd just look around (it's a pretty cheap visit) and leave.

But with the heat growing, Penelope led the way. We were afraid she'd not like the heat and the fast moving creek. But she really liked the cool mud and just walked around. The water was about an inch deep and CLEAN--a product of mountain runoff, so there was nothing in the water.

A great seal and compass by the Vistors' Center.

Sign on the way.

The main marquee.

The view as I drove in. Those big yellow dunes? No beach beyond that. And people wonder why I wanna move to Florida!

View from the Visitors' Center.

Everyone enjoying a day at the pseudo-beach.

Now, here you can see the creek's basin that edges the dunes. Occasionally, the water will surge if there is a storm in hills beyond. You'll just see this wall of water, about 3 inches deep, run down across this area and then go away. Otherwise, it is just mud.

Penelope checking out the dunes and the creek-basin.

The heat and activity really wiped out our little girl. We headed back to the hotel and just hung out until nightfall to see Land of the Lost. It was bad, but good in that we were watching a freegin drive-in movie where high-class was not expected. We ordered pizza and stayed in for the night.

Penelope was again allowed to sleep on the bed (she's usually crated) and, out of the three of us, seemed to have the best vacation of us all!

Thanks for coming with! Just showing ya that some things you can do here in colorful Colorado.

Peace,
    Roo

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Penelope is so sweet! I recently lost my sweet Corgi/Cattle Dog mix, so your Penelope stories are very touching. I love the popcorn bit.

The hotel sounds like fun! Looking forward to more TR!
    Oh no! Well Penelope is available for rentals, bar mitzfahs and people who need some corgi-interaction!

You must have posted this whilst I was updating! Thanks for listening. It was a good, decent, cheap trip.

Peace,
    Roo

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report! That looks like a cool place.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• World Traveler

That was soooooooooo cute. Thanks for sharing.