Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• former CM

I recommend two restaurants about nine miles apart, both in strip malls on Sahara, and both are listed in Zagut's as having some of the best food is Vegas at better prices than competitors on the more convenient strip.

Lotus of Siam is a Thai restaurant located in between a dingy series of buildings--ugly walls face Sahara (953 E. Sahara in the "Commerce Center") and you must drive through these to get to the strip mall--then turn right and it's a few businesses down. It has been described in several well-known publications as having "the best Thai food in America."

Rosemary's is about 8-9 miles away at 8125 W. Sahara. (Yikes! Yet I was very happy I made the drive in each of the three times I went: today, yesterday and once last year.) I recommend the Prix-Fixe lunch special (Mahi-Mahi is an excellent option!) which is normally $28, but you can get $5 off this if you bring in a coupon printed from their Web site--just Google "Rosemary's Vegas." This is my favorite restaurant in the world to go to alone (usually I feel lonely dining alone) because I have eaten at the uncrowded (at 2p.m.) counter where the bartender has made me feel like a relative, or at least an old favorite neighbor.

Although I haven't been there (I think) in about 3 years, the Top of the World restaurant near the top of the Stratosphere is by far the best rotating restaurant I have ever been to. I always see it described as expensive, but it was reasonably priced when I went there for lunch, and the views are, of course, extraordinary.

My wife and I liked the shows Mystere and The Blue Man Group, and I was astonished by magician Lance Burton. If you see him sit as close to the stage as possible so his amazing slight of hand skills can be fully appreciated. If you've ever watched the Cirque acrobats, but thought it the show would be improved it they were naked, Zumanity is for you.

I also like the Gambler's store on Main Street near downtown, and the recently moved Gambler's Book Shop, now at 1550 E. Tropicana. It's just west of and across the street from the Liberace Museum. The owner, Howard Schwartz, is 70 and is one of my favorite people to talk with. Another Vegas fixture who is great company is Barney Vinson. You may have seen on the Travel Channel. I don't know if he's still there, but I took his free intro. gambling lessons offered daily (?) at Caesar's Palace. After one lesson he said, "C'mon," and walked me around Caesar's and told me stories about dealing in the high stakes sections to people like Frank Sinatra. I skimmed one of his books at The Gambler's Bookstore and it looked pretty entertaining.

If it cools down as it did today (thanks to a sky full of clouds), Red Rock park is beautiful, as is Valley of Fire. And Hoover Dam was worth a visit.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-23-2009 at 11:36 PM.

• former CM

Cool late correction

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    . . . . I also like the Gambler's store on Main Street near downtown, and the recently moved Gambler's Book Shop, now at 1550 E. Tropicana. It's just west of and across the street from the Liberace Museum. The owner, Howard Schwartz, is 70 and is one of my favorite people to talk with. Another Vegas fixture who is great company is Barney Vinson. You may have seen on the Travel Channel. I don't know if he's still there, but I took his free intro. gambling lessons offered daily (?) at Caesar's Palace. After one lesson he said, "C'mon," and walked me around Caesar's and told me stories about dealing in the high stakes sections to people like Frank Sinatra. I skimmed one of his books at The Gambler's [emphasis on error added] Bookstore and it looked pretty entertaining. . .
    Gambler's Book Shop, not "Bookstore."

• Minion

Re: Booked Our Room: Las Vegas Next Week

Thanks JCruise for all that wonderful information. The top of the world one sounds pretty darn neat too. Hhhmmm.... Thinking right now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12