•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Fenton's Creamery (of UP fame) and California College of Arts and Crafts

Took a trip today with the folks out to Oakland, to visit a old family favorite I haven't been to in years, Fenton's Creamery. For those who have seen the film UP, yes, it is the one the movie has a restaurant based on, where Carl and Russel visit at the end of the film. It is seemingly always busy, and a good little diner with excellent ice cream, and standard fare, burgers, grilled sandwiches, and the like. Prices are kind of steep and guaranteed to be noisy, but the ice cream portions are pretty spectacular and very good. I did not get a photo, as it was on the very busy ice cream takeout counter, but there was a framed photo print of the scene from the end of UP, with a personal message signed by Pete Docter.

A flyer outdoors thanking PIXAR

Dug!

Refreshing Coke. Mmmm.

The Western Bacon burger. The sauce was very good, nice and tangy, quite a bit of good spice to it, and the onion rings were good and cripsy without being tough. Also a bonus, the thousand island dressing was homemade!

BLT sandwich

The "normal" vanilla sundae. All sundaes come with whipped marshmallow topping, instead of the more common whipped cream.

The monstrosity I ordered, the Cookie Confection sundae. Half cookie dough ice cream, half cookies and cream, with a warm chocolate chip cooke underneath it all somewhere and hot fudge. And no, I couldn't even approach finishing it heh.

After a pleasant early dinner, took a drive up into the Oakland hills to walk around my father's old college, the California College of Arts and Crafts.

Out behind the sculpture building, there was a kind of odd sculpture graveyard arranged, that one could see from the windows of the classrooms and workshops.

Very creepy in a way and cool, I wish I could have gotten down behind the building more to wander around in the statues....

Some general shots around the campus...

Flyer for a screening of El Topo, a truly bizarre and deranged movie I have had the pleasure to view in past, though never on the big screen...

That pretty much wraps it up, thank you for looking and hope you enjoyed!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Fenton's Creamery (of UP fame) and California College of Arts and Crafts

Wow, cool. Thanks for sharing.

Some of those statues were kind of creepy.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    Wow, cool. Thanks for sharing.

Some of those statues were kind of creepy.
    Thank you very much! And yes, I do enjoy creepy

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

What a fantastic and entertaining report! Thank you!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i have a seriously ice cream sundae craving now.....great TR
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

ahh Fenton's...my friends and I use to go there a lot back in high school after seeing a movie either at the Piedmont theater or the Grand Lake. Still find their prices a little too expensive, but the shakes they have there are worth it.

I just went to Fenton's a couple weeks back for the first time in over 15 years! Ice cream was better than I remember, but that could have been influenced by how much fun my 3 year-old was having. Was almost worth the price of the parking ticket I got while we were in the store!

Back around the same time that I last went to Fenton's I also used to live in the apartments right next door up the hill from CCAC. I mostly remember having to evacuate for several days during the Oakland hills fire. They "drew the line" one-half block away at Broadway Ave.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Fantastic report!

Mmmmmmmmm, whipped marshmallow topping. Craving big time.

oh wow, I lived a block from Fenton's until three months ago. I really miss it & visited it the last time I was in the Bay Area. Luckily we still have some caramel from there in our fridge.

• ....whatever....

What a great TR! I'm going to SF/Oakland next week and hopefully will make a stop at Fentons. Love your photographs,especially of CCAC.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Jeeze.. so many of us live(d) near Fentons. I'm just a few blocks from it. We should have a meet there.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional