• Senior Minion

Joshrzmeup's trip to the Historic Triangle (and Virginia Beach and Monticello)

Last week, I took a vacation with my parents to Virginia. We went all over the Williamsburg area and then some. Out travels took us to: Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown, Yorktown Victory Center, Virginia Beach and Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.

Before we left, the weather for the area had said it would be in the mid 70's, so we packed jeans and light jackets. Big mistake. It ended up being in the upper 80's with high humidity for all but 2 days. Not fun.

So, to start, here are some of the pictures from Colonial Williamsburg. Keep in mind that 90% of this place is all re-created because the major buildings burned down a few times since they were built in the 1700's. Some of the houses are are not city owned, so they weren't open. Williamsburg is one main street with some buildings in other areas, like the museum and the merchant square shopping area, but you could take the shuttle there if you didn't want to walk.

We took 2 days at Williamsburg because there was quite a bit of walking and lots to see and do.

The first thing they tell you you need to see is the Governor's Palace, which we later took a small tour of (not much to see). Many of our future Presidents lived there for a time.

This is the front of the Palace. The back was huge, many gardens, a small maze, a small canal, very nice in all.

All that is left of the original building is the cellar, which was open to the public.

This was a common sight in places such as Williamsburg and again in Monticello, Kegs of beer that was brewed on the property.

More bottles.

There wasn't too much to see inside the palace, but here are a few pictures that I took.

Weapons line the enterance.

The Ballroom wasn't much of a Ballroom like you would have expected.

The portraits hanging on the wall are of the King and Queen of England at that time period, there are many of the Royal family portraits from that time period hanging all over the city. They are covered to help preserve them.

Believe it or not, red checkered fabric was something only Royalty could afford.

What the bedroom of one of the daughters would have looked like.

A close-up shot of the gates and the Coat of Arms.

This is the capitol building. 2 buildings joined by a walkway. It also burned down twice and this is a replica of what it would have looked like when it was first built (the second time it was built a bit different apparently). Not much to see in there that I could get a decent picture of.

This is the courthouse where we got to watch a re-enactment of a 17th century trial (kinda boring actually, but they only went to get out and to mingle with other people). They met 4 times a year. The re-enactments were packed and we had to line up half an hour early to get a seat.

Not comfortable on my neck at all!

We also saw the public gaol which is where Blackbeard's men were held (one of the few original buildings).
    Williamsburg is also the site of the College Of William And Mary so I got to see a little bit of their campus.
    It was a very pretty city, we got see see the Revolutionary City, which is a re-enactment of the events leading to the Revolutionary War (it took place along the far end of the colonial city in different locations, so it was hard to see and hear all that was going on with mobs of people moving from one location to the next to watch), we got to watch shoes being made (the guy talking and demonstrating was quite interesting - we stayed there for over an hour watching and listening!)

It was a ton of walking each day in the humidity but it was a nice place to visit and take pictures.

Next up: Jamestown (Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne) and Yorktown.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Re: Joshrzmeup's trip to the Historic Triangle (and Virginia Beach and Monticello)

After 2 days at Williamsburg, we went to Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown. The settlement is just a recreation if what life was like for both the colonists and the Powhatan tribe during that time period while Historic Jamestown was the actual site of the landing of the Discovery ship and the colony being established.

We decided to do the 90 minute tour first and then go back on our own and explore. Big mistake. All of the groups were bombarded by 4th graders there on a field trip to learn about their state's history. So that part wasn't fun.

First they take you to a recreated Powhatan village and explain what it is they lived in.

They led you inside one of the bigger ones and explained that the fire was kept going almost all the time and that the furs were your bedding.

After the village, we were led to what the Colonists in Jamestown would have lived in.

For fun, they let you try on a helmet and armor that someone like John Smith would have worn. Those were actually quite heavy.

Even today, the re-enactors do as the Colonists did and that is grow and harvest their own tobacco.

Next up was the re-created ships that the Virginia Company used on their 5 month voyage from England. Now, contrary to what the movie Pocahontas tells us, Radcliffe actually came over on the Discovery ship, which was the smallest of the 3 ships that sailed, the movie (or the trivia bonus feature) says it's the largest of the ships, the Susan Constant.

We didn't have time to go on all 3 ships, and they recomended we go aboard the Susan Constant since you could go below decks and see the cannons and where people slept and such.

From there, we drove about a mile and a half down the road (over some very marshy/swampy land) to the site of Historic Jamestown.

Our first stop during the tour was the site of the fort that was built when the Discovery landed. This was built exactly on the locations where everything was located according to findings and escavations that were done on the site. They found 4 of the original posts from the fort as well as numerous artifacts.

Here is a layout based on findings on what the fort would have looked like (including the church and houses inside the fort) and where it stood.

Inside the area of the fort, they were currently digging what is believed based on size and number of walls to have been the Governor's house.

We then went on inside of the memorial Church (most of the original church burned down, save for one small portion which still stands today exactly as it stood in1607). It was really hot and humid outside so it was nice to go inside, even if there was no air conditioning.

Take a good look because this is the exact location where income tax came to be put into effect.
    You can still see some of the original floor and foundations because they are covered by glass on the bottom sides of the floors.

This is the tower that was left standing after the fire.

Not far from the church was a statue of John Smith. I think I prefer Disney's version of what he looked like. He was hotter than the real guy was.

His statue faces the James River.

Here is a statue of Pocahontas, clearly not dresses as she would have been in 1607, she seems more like a plains Indian of a much later time.

This is a portrait of what Pocahontas looked like after being renamed "Rebecca" and marrying John Rolfe. They say this was made around 1614.

The next morning, we went to the Yorktown Victory Center. Yorktown was the site of the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. There really wasn't much to see or do there besides a museum. There were 2 small outdoor exhibits. Nearby was the York river and a small riverwalk which really didn't have much.

This is what a typical camp set-up would have looked like.

This guy was showing us some of the different weapons used (such as bombs). The bomb pictures was a 24 pound.

They later shot off the cannon in back of him. It was REALLY loud so we all had to cover our ears.
    The small far (which was like 2 or 3 buildings) just showed what life was like just after the war, a small log cabin for curing tobacco and storing food and one for living.

It was cool and rainy-ish and since there wasn't much to see, we didn't stay long.

Next up, Virginia Beach and later Monticello.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Don't mess with the duck!

Re: Joshrzmeup's trip to the Historic Triangle (and Virginia Beach and Monticello)

Entertaining and educational. Well done! Look forward to more.

• Senior Minion

On friday, after Yorktown and after going back to the hotel for lunch and some jackets, we drove the hour to Virginia Beach. They had their annual Neptune festival going on that had just started when we got there.

This festival was to celebrate the end of summer and pay homage to Neptune, the god of the sea.
    They had a sand sculpting contest and tons of booth up and down the boardwalk. These sculptures were amazing!!!!! I am including pics of the whole sculpture and some up close ones so you can see how detailed they are.

This was my first time seeing the Atlantic Ocean so I walked up and down the beach and did cartwheels in the sand for fun. It was breezy and cool, but a wonderful evening and the perfect end to a long vacation.

This one took 1st place in the solo competition.

You can't see it too well here, but in the back is a surfboard and his arm has a US Navy tattoo.

This picture is my 2nd favorite. I love the detail and the idea, just cool.

Notice her foot chained up and the blood from the slain dragon on the end of the sword.

More next.....

• Disappearing/Reappearing

WOW! Looks like you had a great time! Those sand sculptures are amazing!

• Senior Minion

This one is my favorite. Love the idea, and the play on words and the refrence to pop culture.

This is my 3rd favorite.

Hello Atlantic ocean!!

Only 1 surfer out there that day.

I think we only had time to make it to half of the booths.

never seen a footlong corndog before..

They had a small fairgrounds there that is there all the time but wasn't open yet, as it is only open in the late evenings after it gets dark.

I've missed California Palm trees...

Next up, the home of Thomas Jefferson, Monticello.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Loving it. Love all the history!
    Thlose sand sculptures are amazing!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Love It! Keep 'em coming!

• Senior Minion

On our way home, we decided to visit Monticello since it was only about 5 minutes off the freeway and my parents had always wanted to go.
    It was a cool and rainy day, so the pictures have a lot of fog and there aren't too many of them. Plus, since some of the items inside the house are on loan and they don't have photo permission, no photos were allowed on the house tour.

The bus ride from the visitor's center up to the mountain was only about 2 minutes, if that, but a longer walk.

Gardens surrounded the back of the house

I told my mom that we need to plant some of these.

Here is the garden where they are still growing food:

The foggy view:

Looks like many founding fathers like to brew their own beer:

Final resting place. It was said he wanted on his gravestone mention that he wrote the declaration. This is not the original stone. This was put in by the government many years later and at the bottom of it is the graves of his wife and children whom he survived.

Driving home from Monticello, as we were driving down the mountains, from time to time, this was our view:

Thankfully, there were flares on the road because I guess it gets like this quite often.

We made it home after midnight that night with little sleep thanks to the winding (and pitch black) roads of the Ohio backwoods.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation. I loved Virginia, all the trees and just the feel of the place. I would love to go back and visit in that state again.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Fun! I got to visit these places my freshman year of high school so it's fun to look at your pictures and relive the memories.