• Circle of Ancients

New Shamu show for 2006

Press release from Seaworld.com:

SeaWorld San Diego Announces 'Believe,' the Most Ambitious Killer Whale Show in the Park's History

SeaWorld San Diego, along with SeaWorld Orlando and SeaWorld San Antonio, has embarked on the most ambitious killer whale show in the history of the parks. Believe, the new Shamu show scheduled to open spring 2006, will blend new killer whale behaviors with elaborate set pieces, music, choreography and state-of-the-art multimedia.

“Believe is definitely the most exciting killer whale show we have ever undertaken,” said general manager Andy Fichthorn. “Shamu has been our park’s icon for more than 40 years and with new killer whale behaviors, original music, visual beauty and remarkable technology, our new show will showcase Shamu as never seen before.”

The magnificent presence of Shamu will be reflected in a new two-story stage. A spectacular water fountain will spray across the width of the show pool; three new underwater cameras will capture Shamu below the surface; a giant three-story whale tail will soar high above the set; and four LED screens will move and rotate as they highlight the power and beauty of Shamu and his crew.

The new show’s audio system is also one of the most sophisticated systems in the world, and many of the whales’ new behaviors will be choreographed to Believe’s original and inspiring musical score.

“Believe will take guests on a journey where anyone believes they can connect with these magnificent mammals,” said Mike Scarpuzzi, SeaWorld’s vice president of animal training. “This inspirational new show will reflect the close relationship our trainers have with the killer whales, as well as amaze our guests with a series of exciting new behaviors.”

In mid-October, when construction begins at the performance pool, the Shamu show will continue at the newly remodeled Shamu: Close Up pool. This 20-minute show, known as the “Shamu Experience” will feature many of the high-energy acts from The Shamu Adventure show, but will also allow guests a more intimate opportunity to see Shamu, Baby Shamu and their friends closer than ever before. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, the regular show, The Shamu Adventure, will return to the performance pool through the rest of the year.

Shamu has starred in more than 15 shows since the park’s opening in 1964, including Shamu World Focus, 1995-1998; New Visions, 1992-1995; Baby Shamu Celebration, 1989-1991; 25th Anniversary Show, 1988-1989; Shamu’s Water Symphony, 1987-1988; Shamu’s House of Douse night shows, 1986-present; Shamu Celebration, 1984-1987; Shamu Take a Bow,1982-1984; This Is Shamu,1980-1982; Shamu Goes to College, 1977-1979; Shamu the Yankee Doodle Whale,1975-1977; Shamu for Mayor, 1974-1975; Shamu Goes Hollywood, 1971-1973; and Doctor Do Little, 1966-1971.

Also in 2006, SeaWorld San Diego will relaunch Dine With Shamu, the park’s only buffet-style restaurant that allows visitors to meet trainers and get a whale-size view of Shamu. Located at the new Shamu: Close Up pool, Dine With Shamu will feature new menu items, more daily dining opportunities, and increased viewing of the whales, all in a unique backstage environment.

• Happy Memories

Re: New Shamu show for 2006

SW Orlando will be getting the same new Shamu show as well as several kiddie rides next year.

• Banned User

don't tell me this is somehow related to SWO's dolphin show idea...

what kiddy rides??

• Circle of Ancients

^ At least SWO is getting something besides a new show.

It will now be 2 years since SWSD's "Journey Light" and nothing else seems to be coming anytime soon.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is a link to some photos from yesterday (10/13)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/882633

Basically, they are finishing up the new Shamu Close Up area (totally re-did the tank), plus they are installing temporary bleachers to allow shows to be held in that area, while they start work on the Main Stage for the new show.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I Hug My Tapirs

I'm glad to hear they finally announced this! It does sound like it'll be a neat show.

Although the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the timing of this announcement has anything to do with the not-so-easy birth of a killer whale at the SeaWorld in San Antonio a few days ago (trying to deflect attention from that). Kayla had her baby... and promptly rejected it. It's now being hand-raised by trainers, and kept with a bottlenose dolphin for companionship.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    don't tell me this is somehow related to SWO's dolphin show idea...
    There was initially talk of adding divers and such to the show, although that idea was eventually scrapped. It would feel a bit redundant during the summer anyways, with Cirque just down the path.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

The Press Release was already written and coordinated with the upcoming closing of the Shamu show in the A pool.
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

The Orlando Sentinel has a pic of the model of the set.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-seaworld1305oct13,0,908330.story?coll=orl-business-promos
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Is Sandi Patti recording the soundtrack?