Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Functional & Decorative

Re: Cedar Point's Demon Drop to come to Knott's in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    How hard could it be to put a wheelchair walkway next to the crooked floors? I'm sure grandma and grandpa might appreciate it as well.
    It was difficult to walk and stand in that crooked house. Look at the angle these people are standing at. I can't imagine what it would be like wheel a chair through it. It would be like making a funhouse with undulating floors, spinning floors, moving stairs, etc., ADA compliant. How can you do that without taking out the thrill and disorientation?

I suppose an alternate path could be put in going around the house, but they'd be missing the best 90% of the attraction. Is there really a point?

While I'm not a 100% fan of Knott's putting Demon Drop in, can I bring up a few points that many are failing to realize:

• Yes, Magic Mountain had one. For a while. But it's been gone for the last two years, a long time in the amusement park industry, and I would suspect that may people hardly knew of it's presence at all in recent years.
    • Yes, Knott's already has a drop ride. However, the feel and sensation of the drop on an S & S model is entirely different than this Intamin model. I mean, when DCA built Tower of Terror, no one complained that "Knott's has a drop ride right down the street!" Mainly because the sensations are different (even disregarding the theming). IMO, the drop sensation on the Intamin tower is the superior one by far, although granted, the stop is pretty rough.
    • This is the last remaining 1st generation freefall tower in the US. All other models were dismantled, I believe mainly due to low capacity. But Knott's is a low capacity park, so it really shouldn't be an issue. By moving the ride, a very good thrill is being preserved rather than destroyed.
    • While there is a large nostalgia for the Haunted Shack (and I do include myself in that group), let's face the facts... not unlike Mr. Lincoln, no one really did it anymore. Tours were about every 15 minutes, and maybe there'd be 5-10 people. That's about 40 people an hour, if you were lucky. Not every economical to run. Even this freefall ride will probably get more than that. If you really miss it, visit Calico or the Mystery Spot.

All that said, I do agree that:

• If it's going to be unthemed as they say, that's pretty disappointing. I can't argue that.
    • It will mar the skyline of Ghost Town.
    • The maintenance could be tricky.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Pilot EdForceOne

sometimes things are 'the last of their kind' because their kind sucked
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

^A bit rude, don't you think? A smiley face doesn't make it right. I happen to like Intamin towers. Many it's not for everyone, but there are those who enjoy them, and are glad to see them preserved.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Just read this in the paper...
    DOes the park really need another Free drop ride?...
    the whole park is losing alot of its Nostalgic charm
    Its becoming a mini cedar point or cheap version of 6 flags.

Although last time I went was 2003..

• Minion

Let me get this straight, Knotts Berry Farm finally decides to put in a new ride by getting rid of Screamin Swing... okay I'm all for that. But the ride they put in is a Cedar Point hand me down sloppy second like Demon Drop.... come on guys get real, isn't one free fall ride (and a good one at that) enough for the park. They had a chance to put in a new ride like another good roller coaster or bring back an old one like Haunted Shack and they decide to put in Demon Drop. What, is Knotts running out of money and room that they need to put in a hand me down?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post

• Yes, Magic Mountain had one. For a while. But it's been gone for the last two years, a long time in the amusement park industry, and I would suspect that may people hardly knew of it's presence at all in recent years.
    • Yes, Knott's already has a drop ride. However, the feel and sensation of the drop on an S & S model is entirely different than this Intamin model. I mean, when DCA built Tower of Terror, no one complained that "Knott's has a drop ride right down the street!" Mainly because the sensations are different (even disregarding the theming). IMO, the drop sensation on the Intamin tower is the superior one by far, although granted, the stop is pretty rough.
    • This is the last remaining 1st generation freefall tower in the US. All other models were dismantled, I believe mainly due to low capacity. But Knott's is a low capacity park, so it really shouldn't be an issue. By moving the ride, a very good thrill is being preserved rather than destroyed.
    Magic Mountain had one ... for 26 years. It's not like it was here for a season or two like the Bobsleds or Shockwave and then gone. Magic Mountain and Knott's are LOCAL parks. I think a LOT of people are going to notice it's the same.

Then again, a LOT of people still think that Terminator is Psyclone, so you may be on to something.

I agree that the sensation of the 1st Gen rides is different, but not THAT much different. Are you honestly trying to compare Surpreme Scream/Demon Drop to Maliboomer/Tower of Terror? If Knott's wanted another drop ride, they should have brought Drop Zone from Great America. A MUCH better ride IMO.

If the ride was already there and the built Surpreme Scream (like what happened at Cedar Fair) it wouldn't be that big of a deal. For me, it's the fact that it's a 26 year old ride that they are going to try and pawn off as new.

Heck, they already try to say they have 10 coasters in the park in their commercials. Is this 11 now? How does Ghostrider, Pony Express, Xcelerator, Boomerang, Silver Bullet, Montezooma, Jaguar, Kiddie Coaster and Sierra Sidewinder = 10? Are they counting the Mine Train? Supreme Scream?

There is a reason this was the last one. Their time was here, now it's gone. They were maintenance NIGHTMARES. This one will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    sometimes things are 'the last of their kind' because their kind sucked
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    ^A bit rude, don't you think? A smiley face doesn't make it right. I happen to like Intamin towers. Many it's not for everyone, but there are those who enjoy them, and are glad to see them preserved.
    How is that rude? It's the truth. How can you be rude to a ride? I think the video of the one in TX imploding is WAY more rude.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    Just read this in the paper...
    DOes the park really need another Free drop ride?...
    the whole park is losing alot of its Nostalgic charm
    Its becoming a mini cedar point or cheap version of 6 flags.

Although last time I went was 2003..
    Honestly, I'd MUCH rather spend a day at Magic Mtn. than at Knott's anymore. Went for Haunt, got on the two new coasters I hadn't ridden before. That's enough Knott's for me until next Haunt.

• "I Break Things"

When you consider the direction Knott's has taken since Cedar Fair acquired it... I would venture to say that Knott's is indeed running out of money. The attempt was to turn a charming old park into a competitor for Six Flags. The end result is a park that can't get the public through the door unless they offer a deep discount. Now everywhere you look is either an off the shelf kiddy ride or a rollercoaster. What was once a fun Western theme has been reduced to a Ghosttown besieged by rollercoasters. To add insult to injury those elements that were "authentic" such as adobe bricks, are now covered in graffiti. A lagoon that once hosted a nightime water show has now been reduced to a no-mans-land with a lonely train and a coaster rushing by overhead. Knott's has most definately slid downhill, and done so at such a rapid pace that even longtime employees barely recognize the park anymore.

I wish I could say that Demon Drop would somehow be themed to a mine shaft and that it would be an improvement. Sadly I think it will be like Pony Express, Silver Bullet and Sidewinder... not bothering to match anything around it. Theme, a hallmark of Knott's old west persona, has been dead for years. The last coaster to "match" was Ghostrider.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thought I'd toss my feelings in the mix. Can't say what this means for Knott's, as I've never been, but as one originally from Pittsburgh who'd go to Cedar Point once a year, I'll be sad to lose the Demon Drop. This was maybe my favorite ride in the park, and if I exaggerate it was definitely my most ridden (there was never a line). I love this ride. For some reason it seems the most thrilling in the park, as coasters don't seem to scare me, but the loud, dated, mechanical Demon Drop would get my pulse racing each year. You're caged in there, lifted a good height, pushed forward, dropped, slid onto your back, and awkwardly flipped upright again. I've converted a fair few people into Demon Drop fanatics as you can get off and run right back around for more... again and again. I will miss it.

Hope you all can find some pleasure in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Heck, they already try to say they have 10 coasters in the park in their commercials. Is this 11 now? How does Ghostrider, Pony Express, Xcelerator, Boomerang, Silver Bullet, Montezooma, Jaguar, Kiddie Coaster and Sierra Sidewinder = 10? Are they counting the Mine Train? Supreme Scream?
    The 10 rollercoasters at Knott's are:
    -Ghost Rider
    -Pony Express
    -Xcelerator
    -Boomerang
    -Silver Bullet
    -Montezooma's Revenge
    -Jaguar
    -Timberline Twister
    -Sierra Sidewinder
    -Perilous Plunge (a hybrid water coaster)
    I personally don't count the Perilous Plunge as a coaster, but that's what it technically is, and it's one of the things I learned while being oriented to work at Knott's.

• Circle of Ancients

Perilous Plunge is NOT a coaster. If it was, my credits would be 163.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by rawrsauce View Post
    -Perilous Plunge (a hybrid water coaster)
    I personally don't count the Perilous Plunge as a coaster, but that's what it technically is, and it's one of the things I learned while being oriented to work at Knott's.
    per multiple website listings it is defined as a "chute/flume ride."
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Ok time for cocoa

It has road wheel, guide Wheels, & upstops. Chain dogs and anti-roll backs. I believe by ACE standards that makes it a roller coaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

I agree that the sensation of the 1st Gen rides is different, but not THAT much different. Are you honestly trying to compare Surpreme Scream/Demon Drop to Maliboomer/Tower of Terror? If Knott's wanted another drop ride, they should have brought Drop Zone from Great America. A MUCH better ride IMO.
    What's wrong with comparing Supreme Scream/Demon Drop to Maliboomer/Tower of Terror? My point is that not all drop rides are created equally, and I think that illustrates the point just fine.

I won't argue Drop Zone is a better drop ride, but that's not the one being relocated, so there's really no point in bringing it into discussion.

If the ride was already there and the built Surpreme Scream (like what happened at Cedar Fair) it wouldn't be that big of a deal. For me, it's the fact that it's a 26 year old ride that they are going to try and pawn off as new.
    What's the difference which ride was built first? You'd really be okay with it if Demon Drop had been at Knott's already, and then they built Supreme Scream?

And I think we all know that Knott's knows this is not a new ride. It's new to Knott's, true enough. New period? Of course not.

There is a reason this was the last one. Their time was here, now it's gone. They were maintenance NIGHTMARES. This one will be no different.
    This is probably true enough. While I only got to visit Cedar Point a few times, though, Demon Drop seemed to be working every time. Can anyone else who lives in the area tell us about it's reliability? Let's not forget that SFMM is the only park left with a Deja Vu, because they were the only park that can keep it working. Being the last one left doesn't necessarily mean anything.

How is that rude? It's the truth. How can you be rude to a ride? I think the video of the one in TX imploding is WAY more rude.
    It's not rude to the ride, it's rude to the person who likes the ride. No one wants to hear that their opinion sucks, and that's what that post amounted too.

All this said, I'm not defending all of Knott's decisions entirely. I'm disappointed it'll be unthemed, and a bit sad at Ghost Town losing more theming. No arguments there. But let's also not forget that Knott's was "losing" it's roots well before Cedar Fair came along.

• "I don't like the color"

Watching that video of the ride makes me think "Boy is that one slow loader" I remember Freefall as being a pretty slow loader as well....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• The line's too long...

It's amazing to think that even in the 80's Knott's drew as many visitors as DL, but now only draws a fifth.
    How can we dissect what went wrong and what strategic errors Knott's management (the kids and then Cedar Fair) made? Right now Knott's is demographically in no guest's land with the young family market going to DLR and Legoland, and the teen/young adult market going to Six Flags, Universal and Sea World. The tween market, which is what Knott's seems to be targeting, just isn't big enough to support a park and the tweens also enjoy the other parks anyway. If Universal is eventually able to cannibalize the Haunt crowds, then Knott's is seemingly in big trouble.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast