Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Snow_White_Raven and Honor_Bound's Honeymoon Trip Reprt to Rome, Italy

Great TR! I love Italy, it's definitely on my list of places to go. Keep the photos coming, I enjoy them very much!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What a great report! I've never, ever been out of the country! This is a real treat getting to see somewhere else!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Day 2, Part 2

Once we arrived to the Capital Hill Museum we decided to use one of our free tickets. It was well worth it. We spent about 4 hours in just the main building of this museum.

In this stone mural we see Marcus Aurelius overseeing the preparations to sacrifice a bull.

In this stone mural Marcus Aurelius is depicted however his son Commodus is missing. He was originally in the mural however after he was assassinated all images of him were removed from art.

This is the symbol of Rome. It is seen all over the city along with the abbreviation S.P.Q.R.

We saw this image on the wall included in a very large mural. I could have spent hours looking at all the details on the walls and ceilings because there were many little nuances mixed into the big picture in just about every room.

The only chariot we saw our entire trip.

This is the original of the statue that is out in the middle of Capital Hill. They have placed a copy in the square so that they can preserve this one.

These twins creeped me out because they reminded me very heavily of the creepy twins from the Shinning.

This is part of the foundation of the Temple of Jupiter. The wall extended out as well however this is all that remains. In addition we found a sealed off door that had a flight of stairs. Since it was sealed we couldn’t go down and discover more even though I REALLY wanted to find out where it went.

I took a ton of pictures of these painting however, I quickly discovered a picture of a painting is VERY hard to get. So I am going to only include a portion of the pictures that I took from the painting rooms.

While we were there, there was a press conference going on so there was one room that we weren’t able to access.

Once we got to the top of the building we found the restaurant. We were going to ignore it completely until we noticed a great patio. It was pretty warm in the museum so we were thrilled to go outside in the cool air.

After the museum we went to the Colosseum. After we walked up the 50 million gigantic stairs I turned on the camera and it proceed to die. We were also planning on visiting Roman Forum today but since our camera died we decided to head back to the hotel to get more batteries. And for the record yes I did bring extra batteries. I just went through all of the extras before we made it to the Collosseum. Before we left we found a fountain and filled up our water bottle and then we bought some chips and sodas to take back to the hotel.

After we rested at the hotel for a bit we decided to go to the National Museum. By the time we got there we only had about 40 minutes to see the whole museum. So we dropped our bag off at the entrance and headed in. Once we entered the turnstile we turned on our camera and discovered we only had 11 pictures left on our memory camera and our extra memory is in our backpack. Grrr. So I started deleting blurred pictures. Thank goodness for the digital age. Then as we started to go through the museum we discovered that for preservation sake majority of the rooms were not lighted well at all. So I wasn’t able to get a lot of pictures anyways.

Sculptures like these were ALL over the museum. After a while I stopped taking pictures of them because I had limited memory and there were A LOT of heads.

This was one of the few pieces that was well lit. I also could have spent hours looking at this but because we had such limited time we snapped a photo and moved on.

After the museum we decided to head to a really nice restaurant off the beaten path. It took us a while to find but once we did we were thrilled we went through the effort.

After dinner we headed back to our own chariot for the week, the subway.

The End (..of day 2)
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I would skip soda and chips - try a cappuccino and coroneto for a morning snack, or bread, cheese and wine in the afternoon! Or are you back already?

when in Rome, do as the Romans do - even when you're not in Rome that's good advice!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I would skip soda and chips - try a cappuccino and coroneto for a morning snack, or bread, cheese and wine in the afternoon! Or are you back already?

when in Rome, do as the Romans do - even when you're not in Rome that's good advice!
    As far as Cappuccino I live a caffeine free life and I can't stand wine. For breakfast every morning we had croissants and jam. It was a lot cheaper since were able to find a grocery store with decent prices. And yes we are back. We spent last week there.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Thanks so much for sharing those photos with us!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I am so glad you had this wonderful opportunity to experience l'Italia!

Wishing you a long happy marriage.

Did you put a coin in the fountain and make a wish that you will return to Roma?

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I am so glad you had this wonderful opportunity to experience l'Italia!

Wishing you a long happy marriage.

Did you put a coin in the fountain and make a wish that you will return to Roma?
    Yes we did toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain. I really do hope that we have an opportunity to return one day, mainly because we missed a TON of stuff.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Molto bene!

• love my friends

Love it Mandy

Friends for life

• Disappearing/Reappearing

SO much gorgeous art! I love the images of Romulus and Remus!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Each day just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see more.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    Day 2, Part 2

The End (..of day 2)

I didn't know that you took Al with you to Rome. Seriously, wonderful pictures, I can't wait to see more.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Day 3

On day 3 we decided to head to the Vatican Museum. We arrived about 3 minutes before opening and the line wrapped around the building.

After about a 40 minute wait we started to see the entrance to the building.

Once we got through security I was alarmed by the ramp to get up to the top and the beginning of the exhibits.

Thank fully we found an elevator located near by and we were able to avoid agitating my knees any more. Our first stop was the Egyptian Room. Although on our way, while taking a picture, I tripped and fell up a flight of stairs.

Most of the Egyptian Rooms were behind glass so the pictures did not come out the greatest.

Just so everyone knows, much of the Rome has AMAZING ceiling art. So we spent a good majority of our days looking up at the ceilings.

There were also several areas of the museum where they were trying to repair the ceilings. Bellow they had scaffolding around the areas that were mid repair.

This piece of art was one of my favorites. This was located on the ceiling and I was really thankful there were benches below so I could get a better picture of it. This depicts the fall of Rome through the Christians. One of the things that I loved most about this piece was the 3D effects that were created from it being on the ceiling.

While we were in these rooms the funniest thing happened. I was wearing a Mickey Mouse sweater that had a bunch of Mickey Heads that were different countries flags. While we were walking around a security officer came up to me and started naming different cartoon characters. I laughed at first and then he continued to follow me while we named the cartoon characters. It then became a little weird and uncomfortable.

Next stop was the Sistine Chapel and while you are in there no pictures are allowed, its supposed to be very quiet, and it is very dark in order to preserve it. Once we left the Sistine chapel we entered the Pope portion of the museum.

After we finished up with the museum we headed back to the hotel to rest a bit. We really wanted to go to several places that night and my knees were almost shot for the day. Once we woke up from our nap we hit the town and headed to the Piazza di Navona. It took us a while to get there since the buses were running a bit slow but we made it. The next step was to find a restaurant to eat at. We wanted to go to a specific one but sadly got completely lost on the back streets. We eventually gave up and went to a random restaurant. The food was ok, but the meal included a ton of wine.

After dinner we started to do some sight seeing. Unfortunately my camera was not behaving correctly since the spill in the Vatican Museum so the pictures were not the greatest once again.

Next stop was the Trevi Fountain. We went down to the bottom steps and proceeded to toss our coins into the fountain with hopes to come back on another trip.

Once we finished there we headed back to the hotel and called it a nite.

The End (..of day 3)

• love my friends

i am loving your trip report mandy

Friends for life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast