• Circle of Ancients

Breakfast with Shamu - Anybody done it?

We are thinking of doing the Breakfast with Shamu next month when we go to SWSD. Has anybody done this? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Breakfast with Shaum - Anybody done it?

The raw squid they serve is ok.. but just be warned that Shamu's got bad breath and horrible table manners.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Banned User

We did it, it cost a lot and the food was not that great but if you buy your tickets way ahead you can get up front seats. It was ok, but I think I would have rather had a breakfast out side the park. The whales are cool though and do perform some what for ya. Have a good time !!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

If you want to do something really cool while you are in San Diego, head over to the Wild Animal Park and do either the Snore and Roar, or take the truck out into the pins to feed the animals.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• no flash photography...

I did breakfast with shamu. The food was below average and the whales do not do anything except swim under water most of the time. It was ok...but I wouldn't do it again. It was cute watchign the baby whale and the whale that liked to swim upside down under water..

I had more fun feeding the dolphins..

• Circle of Ancients

Hmm ... thanks for the tips. Maybe we will reconsider.

We thought about the WAP, but at $28 bucks a pop, that's alot for a glorified zoo IMO. Heck, the SD Zoo is $32. It's a zoo right?

Re: Breakfast with Shamu - Anybody done it?

We had also considered doing breakfast with shamu, but more and more I'm hearing that it's disappointing. We were looking for some possible interaction for my sons, ages 2 and 4.

Anybody know if any of the tours might offer a better opportunity for close-viewing/interaction that would be good for kids that age? (other than the obvious ones, i.e. feeding dolphins, starfish handling, forbidden reef)

• DisneyFan

Two things...food is expensive either way you look at it. Yes it is a basic buffet with eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage and the like. But if you plan on spending the money anyways the experience is pretty cool. I would definatly say it is a one time deal. My wife and I did it and it is cool. You do sit right by the water and the whales are just doing their thing. But come on, how often do you get to be that close. The trainers and educators talk about the whales and interact but there is no interaction with the killer whales themselves. Food so so...once in a lifetime experience...good. Would I do it again...no becasue I have already done it.

If you want there is an intesive experience with the dolphin and also some behind the scene programs. Check out their web-sight. Of course it is expensive but it is a memory.

• Former CM

I've never done the breakfast, but I have done the lunch/dinner. The food for that one was pretty good. It's overpriced, but is worth the experience once. Plus my little one really loved it.

• no flash photography...

be careful of the floor in the brakfast room if you go. It was wet when I went, no sign up and it was tile...very slick. I fell right on my bum knee....I had a huge bruise too...they did put a sign up after I fell though...LOL..

the WAP is sooo much better than a zoo. The animals are more in their natural environments and they appear to be happier there. Zoos always depress me, but the WAP did not. We also did the photo safari. they take you right through where the animals are and we got to feed giraffes and rhinos..

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Sad Re: Breakfast with Shamu - Anybody done it?

We really enjoyed it until Grandma started choking. She was so excited about the meal that it went down whole and they couldn't get it out. They had to call 911 and we spent 4 hrs in the ER where they pulled it out. Being the trouper that she is and the fact that the EMT's of SDSW where HOT + the Firemen and Doctors (lets face it every man that helped her was HOT) That she was really to return the next morning. She wanted to show them how strong she was by returning and to thank them. They said that they had never had anyone return the next day after going to the ER. She LOVED all the attention and the made a special fuss over her. We did the meal again which was great!
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    We thought about the WAP, but at $28 bucks a pop, that's alot for a glorified zoo IMO. Heck, the SD Zoo is $32. It's a zoo right?

No bagging on the Zoo or the WAP on my watch mister!

WAP is not just a glorified zoo. Its really a unique wildlife experience (no I'm not just repeating the corporate line). Its totally different from any other zoo/animal park.

And the SD Zoo is WAY better than other zoos I've been to. One of the things that we do differently here is the exhibits... the SD Zoo was and still is a pioneer in the world of "biomes", exhibits designed to mimic the animals actual habitat while making for an interesting experience for the guests as well. As far as I know, nothing compares to Sun Bear Forest, Tiger River or Monkey Trails.

Yeah, I'm biased, but the San Diego Zoo really is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    No bagging on the Zoo or the WAP on my watch mister!

WAP is not just a glorified zoo. Its really a unique wildlife experience (no I'm not just repeating the corporate line). Its totally different from any other zoo/animal park.

And the SD Zoo is WAY better than other zoos I've been to. One of the things that we do differently here is the exhibits... the SD Zoo was and still is a pioneer in the world of "biomes", exhibits designed to mimic the animals actual habitat while making for an interesting experience for the guests as well. As far as I know, nothing compares to Sun Bear Forest, Tiger River or Monkey Trails.

Yeah, I'm biased, but the San Diego Zoo really is different.
    I actually just got back from an afternoon at the Zoo (yay, College Study Pass!) and saw the Monkey Trails exhibit for the first time - incredible!!! Absolutely beautiful exhibit!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Banned User

I took my kids and none of them thought it was overly cool., both got bored right away and for the money it was not a good deal. If your kids are into whales and seeingthem cool if not stay away.