Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Dubai World Marvel Super Heroes Theme Park Concept

What would a Marvel Super Heroes Theme Park Look Like? Well, one is already on the books and could be built soon - but not by Disney:

In Late 2007, United Arab Emirate-based Al Ahli Group and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. announced a partnership that will bring Marvel's full library of Super Heroes - including Spider-Man, Iron Man, The X-Men, Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer - to Dubai for a major new theme park destination being developed by AAG. The Marvel Super-Heroes theme park project was supposed to open in 2011 with an investment of over $1 billion USD but apparently it seems that it has been pushed back and may open in 2012. I don't know yet if the Disney deal with Marvel changed anything in the project, let's hope not.

The creative team who designed the park, in this case not WDI Imagineers but great creative minds from around the globe is based in Hollywood, Orlando and Dubai throughout the development process. When the project was announced the press release said that "New technology and unparalleled visitor experiences will be the hallmark of the theme park creating a new standard for theme parks around the world".

Thanks to Randy, a Disney and more faithful reader whom i thanks a lot, i've found some great artwork of this awaited theme park. All of the concept-arts below were designed by the Chimera Design company who did an absolutely fantastic job as you will see. Unfortunately i don't have a lot of details about the rides but what we can see on the pictures give some indications.

Most of Marvel super-heroes will have their own attractions including the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, X-Men, Silver Surfer and of course Spiderman in what will be probably a different ride than the Spiderman ride at Universal Islands of Adventure. Also, according to a a recent post of Brady Mac Donald of the L.A Times "Off-site testing has already begun on three of the planned attractions: "Flying with Spidey", "Fantasticar" and "X-Men: Danger Room".

The first picture above shows the entrance of the park. Below, a night view as well as the map of the park with the four lands "City of Super-Heroes", "Oasis of Magic", "Marvel's Mythic Mountain", "Nick Neighborhood" and "Crater Lake" at the center of the park. As you can see on the night view, many coasters are envisioned for the park.

Although it's strictly my own personal deduction, this next artwork shows very probably the "City of Super-Heroes" land - and yes, it's a Wow!

Jump to the full article on MiceChat partner site, Disney and More, to discover all the amazing artwork of the different attractions of this incredible park! Then head back here to discuss this unique park.

Disney and more: Dubai World Marvel Super Heroes Theme Park Concept

DIGG this story

Re: Dubai World Marvel Super Heroes Theme Park Concept

Incredible! I have a vision of the Thing walking through an amusement park. He'd be so ugly he'd scare little children.

I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I haven't ever been a fan of Marvel Comics and was kind of bummed when Disney bought them. I hope they don't try to incorporate Marvel into Disneyland and DCA. I think it would really ruin the dreamlike atmosphere that already exists there.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I would love to see something like this at a Disney Parl, the Theme is very cool and way better than any of the lands at DCA.

• failure for lunch

The idea and the art is terrible. It's a perfect example of people trying to do Disney but not getting it.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• DL Obsessed

That looks amazing. It'll be interesting to see how it actually turns out, but i do with DCA had some of that style.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

That looks amazing.

• Banned User

As expected, I'm digging the Nick area the most. I'm a sucker for Nick theme park areas, and this one looks like it'll be the best looking out of all of them, providing it actually gets built.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Nick?..in a Marvel themed park!
    Well, little Spongebob has to go somewhere,hey lets put him and his other creepy friends with Spidey and his lot.It will be magical!
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

yeah how did Nick which is own by Viacom end up in a theme park that is all Marvel now owned by Disney.

As for that park, i think it is an interesting idea. If the detail is as complex as the artwork it should be a nice park. Makes me wonder if Disney could come up with something as unique as that using not only Marvel but also other Disney superheroes to create a balance of attractions for the family crowd and creating a third gate for Anaheim.

A lush heavily themed park would finally balance out the area and lure the age brackets they have been wanting.

Blog Entries

Looks really cool ... I think it would be cool if they did something like this on a smaller scale at Disneyland ....

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• Theme Park Designer

In my professional opinion, I personally do not think that Disney would consider incorporating the Marvel franchise into anything directly associated with Disneyland and or California Adventures. You have to look at Robert Iger's backgroiund with ABC to see that "expansion" and "ownership" is the likely road that he is taking the company. I believe it to be a very smart move, as he looks beyond the end of his nose... something Eisner lost sight of.

As an example, look at the Tinkerbell direct to video movies... they are made by off-shore art houses, and sport just enough key Disney names to establish ownership while promoting the new franchise. Just read the credits... and you will be truly amazed that this is really the product of non-Disney people, controlled and owned by Disney.

Disney make a fortune on distribution, and the "branding" that accompanys these types of ventures. It keeps the Disney name heavily attached to animation, while it promotes their proprietary characters. However, the costs to produce remains much lower, and the general public is none the wiser.

Licensing is yet another very valuable source of revenue for Disney, and because the Marvel characters are already firmly entrenched into a number of Disney's competitor's theme parks, Disney 'in a sense' owns the competition, because they have to pay Disney in order to use that material. Clever.

Not to mention... Disney knows the value of Disneyland, their image, and their fan base... why would they risk "dilution" of their brand, when there is no motivation to do so?

Denny Magic
    c/o Denny Magic Studios
    Denny Magic Studios - Theme Park Design Services

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    yeah how did Nick which is own by Viacom end up in a theme park that is all Marvel now owned by Disney.
    Because the plans were drawn up in 2007 when Universal, who are buddies with Viacom, had the rights to theme park representation of the Marvel characters. Which they still do until the current contracts run up.

I showed this article to some comic nerds as well as the concept art. Stark Industries looks like the place they would be headed towards first because City of Heroes looked rather overwhelming to them visually.

My question is: Why Dubai?
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    My question is: Why Dubai?
    Because prior to 2008, all theme park companies (with one noted exception) were running to Dubai because that's where an incredible amount of money was to be spent to transform Dubai into the "playground of the world." Tatweer (the developer) courted anyone & everyone who had the will/expertise to build tourist attractions.

Dubailand alone (including Universal Studios, Dreamworks, Marvel, Six Flags, Ferarri, etc.) was to be a $60 Billion+ (U.S. dollar) investment (you could build 15 DisneySeas for that), not including Busch's "Worlds of Discovery" multi-billion dollar island.

Then came the crash and Dream of Dubai evaporated... it will be interesting to see what happens over there.

Wink Re: Dubai World Marvel Super Heroes Theme Park Concept

Quote Originally Posted by b236en View Post
    Looks really cool ... I think it would be cool if they did something like this on a smaller scale at Disneyland ....
    OK, cool!^_^ I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong :] Nice! I'll start saving up some scratch for this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast