Sad [L.A. Times]: Movieland Wax Museum to Close 10/31

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...track=morenews

After 43 years, the museum is finally closing for good. Another relic of the 'old OC' that is constantly transitioning. I know I'll miss it, and I'm not at all surprised it's happening.

excerpt:

With the addition of California Adventure in the Disneyland compound and new attractions at Knotts Berry Farm, the wax museum found itself competing with the beach and shopping malls on the must-see list in Orange County.

Yes, they called it a compound.

• Minion

Re: [L.A. Times]: Movieland Wax Museum to Close 10/31

Well, I'm sorry to read about the closure and in all honesty, I'm surprised that it's been able to last this long.

In the beginning it was on the "cheesy" side of Buena Park and when they added the "Living Arts Museum" next door it contributed even more cheese to the brew.

I couldn't tell you the last time I visited it. Probably in the very early '70s. They had some wonderful tableaus and good likenesses of the celebrities. Remember the OC Register doing articles on the latest additions and the Spanish sculptor who did most of the heads. They always tried to make it an event and get the new addition to attend the unveiling.

It's interesting that while Madame Tussaud's has expanded and received great acclaim with its new addition in NYC we see our own local version wither and die a slow death over the years.

• And, THEN she said...

awww dang it another childhood memory going to die..I remember our grade school class going on a field trip to the museum when they first put in the living art section..guess they were trying to give us brats some culture LOL

• Circle of Ancients

Shucks.

Wondering if we can get the kids down there before it's gone. I only went once but I think it's somethine everybody should do at least one time.

I wonder what's going to take it's place.

• Minion

OH NO!

I grew in Buena Park ...... I know the museum's significance to the world of entertainment .. and Buena Park/OC itself. I'm quite sad this is going bye-bye.

As a kid ... I have plenty of memories of this strip when there was a Pottery shop at the corner of La Palma and Beach Blvd. .. along with the Aligator Farm behind it.

I wonder who here at Micechat would like to go?

Perhaps an early eve trip???

Since the admission has been lowered to 5 bucks till closing ..... Why not get one last trip! Bring your cameras!!

• Circle of Ancients

I also find it funny that they are blaming DCA.

Isn't DCA always dead?

• Functional & Decorative

Dang! That's too bad! I remember going there, and staring at awe at the statue of David--although I wasn't always staring with honorable intentions.

Am I to assume the Wax Museum and Ripley's in Hollywood still going to be open? The article made no mention of them closing. I've actually been to both of those semi-recently, and while undeniably cheesy and not so well maintained, there is a certain charm to them. If they stay open, it's at least an alternative.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?