Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Ballot Vote For 49's Stadium On California Great America Property Is Slated For June

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...nclick_check=1

The 2010 June Primary do or die decision of Santa Clara voters will determin whether the City becomes home to the NFL football franchise... one that would become a part of the same property occupied by the CGA theme park. The mayor remains positive about the environmental impact report proving favorable, and about voter approval.

Boy, I'll tell you... I'm excited! Love's me theme parks! Love's me professional football! The two together will be an entertainment match made in Heaven!!!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-08-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Ballot Vote For 49's Stadium On California Great America Property Is Slated For J

I certainly hope they're not asking the taxpayers to pay one red cent for another NFL revenue palace. I've always felt that way, and especially now when no government anywhere in the state can seemingly find two nickels to rub together.

Would this mean they could finally demolish that "Monster"-osity out on Candlestick Point?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Ballot Vote For 49's Stadium On California Great America Property Is Slated For J

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I certainly hope they're not asking the taxpayers to pay one red cent for another NFL revenue palace. I've always felt that way, and especially now when no government anywhere in the state can seemingly find two nickels to rub together.

Would this mean they could finally demolish that "Monster"-osity out on Candlestick Point?
    I see your point, Barry. The NFL certainly has the resourses to foot the cost of a new arena all on it's own!... why compel the voters to shoulder the cost?!

Still, I remain excited... although, I think the taxpayers deserve to benefit financially from future revenues in ways that positively impact their pocket books.

Candlestick Park couldn't be in any more of a chilly, windy location. Love the name... but it requires a wrecking ball and a bulldozer.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

Candlestick Park couldn't be in any more of a chilly, windy location. Love the name... but it requires a wrecking ball and a bulldozer.
    It was originally built as a political expediency, when the Giants joined the Dodgers in moving west. Then the Niners left old Kezar Stadium in 1970, and the place was enclosed.

Before that, the place was open-ended, and those winds came in right off the bay. That's when Stu Miller got blown off the mound in an All-Star game. In those days in the mid-60's, the only Dodger games televised were the games from SF. A different world.

The only game i ever attended was a Ram-49er game in the late 70's, when the Rams were always good and the Niners a laughing stock. Jim Plunkett was the 49er qb, and some guy named Simpson was at running back. The Rams won like 20 years in a row up there, and that day it was 24-10 back of, I think, Pat Haden at QB.

Nobody knew how the fortunes of those two teams would change, just a couple of years later, when Bill Walsh and a certain quarterback out of Notre Dame arrived at the Stick. The Rams moved south to Anaheim, where the Niners never lost a game (9-0) with the Notre Dame kid at starting QB.

Anyway, when the Monster cable company bought the naming rights, I thought the name of the place was perfect. Monster Park, or as I changed it a bit, Monster-osity Park.

Never saw a baseball game there. Remember the one year when the Giants handed out special medals, to anyoine sitting through a night extra inning game?

Sorry, rw, iF i took the thread off course a bit.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

It's a warm summer's day in Santa Clara, California. A 49ers manager is browsing Google Earth and sipping a warm cup of coffee.

He realizes that the team's current stadium isn't meeting his team's needs, and he scours Northern California for spaces to build a new home for the team.

Empty lots? Nope. Abandoned buildings? Nope. It doesn't seem that there's ANY space in Northern California that meets his demands. He lets out a long sigh and continues to search. He gives up and decides to take a drive around his city to clear his mind.

That's when he happens upon California's Great America. He grins as he looks at the vast space of land occupied by the park's parking lot. Screw the visitors. He wants that stadium here.

"I want that stadium here." He says, patting himself on the back. He cheerfully walks back to his car and returns home to his family. They sit down for a wonderful family meal, and he breaks the news.

"So kids, guess where I've decided the new stadium is going?"

"Where, pop?" His son says, puzzled.

"In the parking lot of California's Great America!" He exclaims.

His family's faces turn to puzzled looks.

"Why?" His wife asks.

"Because I can."

And that's the story of why the 49ers Stadium is going on Great America's parking lot.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Will he extend BART to the new complex after parking's been eliminated for both?

• Iron-Clad Allie

It was originally built as a political expediency, when the Giants joined the Dodgers in moving west. Then the Niners left old Kezar Stadium in 1970, and the place was enclosed.

Before that, the place was open-ended, and those winds came in right off the bay. That's when Stu Miller got blown off the mound in an All-Star game. In those days in the mid-60's, the only Dodger games televised were the games from SF. A different world.

The only game i ever attended was a Ram-49er game in the late 70's, when the Rams were always good and the Niners a laughing stock. Jim Plunkett was the 49er qb, and some guy named Simpson was at running back. The Rams won like 20 years in a row up there, and that day it was 24-10 back of, I think, Pat Haden at QB.

Nobody knew how the fortunes of those two teams would change, just a couple of years later, when Bill Walsh and a certain quarterback out of Notre Dame arrived at the Stick. The Rams moved south to Anaheim, where the Niners never lost a game (9-0) with the Notre Dame kid at starting QB.

Anyway, when the Monster cable company bought the naming rights, I thought the name of the place was perfect. Monster Park, or as I changed it a bit, Monster-osity Park.

Never saw a baseball game there. Remember the one year when the Giants handed out special medals, to anyoine sitting through a night extra inning game?

Sorry, rw, iF i took the thread off course a bit.
    Stu Miller was blown off the mound by the wind?! That's hilarious!!!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Will he extend BART to the new complex after parking's been eliminated for both?
    If he does, I hope that he liven's the BART track extension up by adding a loop.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

BART representatives say in exchange for an easement over Great America, they're willing to consider a loop.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I've never been to Great America or seen its parking lot, but I'm not quite sure what the big deal is about building a stadium in a parking lot.

There have been plans over the past several years to build NFL-sized stadiums in both the Dodger and Angel Stadium parking lots.

I'm sure that a massive parking structure of some kind would be part of the plan, right?

• Iron-Clad Allie

BART representatives say in exchange for an easement over Great America, they're willing to consider a loop.
    This demonstrates that it pays to make a good circle of friends.

I've never been to Great America or seen its parking lot, but I'm not quite sure what the big deal is about building a stadium in a parking lot.

There have been plans over the past several years to build NFL-sized stadiums in both the Dodger and Angel Stadium parking lots.

I'm sure that a massive parking structure of some kind would be part of the plan, right?
    Correct. One way or another, the job will be accomplished.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm afraid with all those new football fans, Great America'd be tempted to "HIKE" the parking fees.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm afraid with all those new football fans, Great America'd be tempted to "HIKE" the parking fees.
    Not if they expect to score with their passes.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Not if they expect to score with their passes.
    We can expect to see a lot of pass interference calls.

• Iron-Clad Allie

We can expect to see a lot of pass interference calls.
    Especially if anyone dares to try to stop me from blitzing the cheerleaders on the sidelines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast