Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Movieland Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe It or Not both closing Oct. 31st

Vintage Attraction Takes Final Bow

Movieland Wax Museum says, “Thanks for the Memories”

BUENA PARK, CA. - Opened in 1962 with a dedication by beloved Silent Film “Sweetheart” Mary Pickford, Movieland Wax Museum has enjoyed hosting millions of fans of both the large and small screen for more than 40 years. Showcasing more than 300 wax celebrities in a tribute to the World of Entertainment, the vintage attraction takes its final bow October 31, 2005.

Many of your favorite stars and authentic movie sets will be traveling north to join the West Coast’s premier wax museum in San Francisco. The Wax Museum at Fisherman’s Wharf not only presents a galaxy of dazzling stars, but also depicts all aspects of life, enveloping more than 2000 years of the history of mankind. Sport’s Heroes, Royalty, Master Artisans, US Presidents, great Religions of the world, Pulitzer and Nobel Prize Winners, as well as the splendor of King Tut’s Tomb are all showcased in custom sets, many enhanced with informative narrative. And of course, no wax museum is complete without its bone-chilling Chamber of Horrors!

At the same time, Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Museum, Movieland’s companion attraction located directly across the street, will also close its doors on their exhibits of the Lifestyles of the Bizarre and Beautiful. Opening at 12:34:56 pm, on 7-8-90, this “Odditorium” has astounded visitors for 15 years with a collection of unbelievable curiosities presented with unique “show biz” flair.

As Movieland and Ripley’s lower their final curtain, they also lower their admission price, allowing fans an opportunity to visit the museums right up to their final closing day for the sensational “Last Chance” price of $5.00.

Just one block from Knott’s Berry Farm, Movieland Wax Museum is located at 7711 Beach Blvd., in Buena Park, CA, and Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Museum is directly across the street. Movieland Box Office hours are weekdays 10 am to 6 pm and 9 am to 7 pm on weekends. Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum box office hours are weekdays 11 am to 5 pm and 10 am to 6pm on weeekends. Both museums will be open everyday of October, rain or shine!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Re: Movieland Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe It or Not both closing Oct. 31st

This is really sad because the miniskirted nancy sinatra figure on a motorbike was really hot.

• Minion

That's it! I'm going tomorrow! In fact, we're probably going to close the office for a bit and all go! Yay!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Lisa and I are planning to go, we think maybe Saturday prior to the Halloween Treat event. Of course, my camera will come along, as I want to get some shots for history....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• CM for 4 years!

Maybe I will go out of my way for a trip this weekend.

It's so sad.

BUT I'm SO SCARED OF WAZ FIGURES

They give me the creeps.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

What the heck?! I never got to go to either of these places. As long as I can remember i've wanted to go after the annual disneyland trip when I was younger. :[

What's really funny is that right here on Miceage, just a few weeks ago, there was an article about Madame Toussaud's in London, and how the operators where keeping the place fresh with new enhancements, like that "London Spirit" ride. And, of course, there are the other "Toussaud's" in places like the Venetian in Vegas which are still operating. It makes you wonder what could have been done to improve "Movieland", and give more people a reason to go.
    By the way, does anyone remembet "The Black Box"? It was a walk through attraction included with admission, with show scenes from the movies "Halloween", "Alien", and "Altered States". Kind of an early eighties line-up. It actually had some narration by Vincent Price. Not too many theme park attractions really scare me, but this one managed to. Although the wax museum itself was probably pretty scary to some.

• Minion

Just back from the wax museum! What a blast! I haven't been in such a long time, so there was a bunch of new stuff. BTW, everything in the gift shop is 50% off! Woo hoo! I think I might go back and Christmas shop. I'm at work, so I can't post any pics, but I recommend everyone take one last trip!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    By the way, does anyone remembet "The Black Box"? It was a walk through attraction included with admission, with show scenes from the movies "Halloween", "Alien", and "Altered States". Kind of an early eighties line-up. It actually had some narration by Vincent Price. Not too many theme park attractions really scare me, but this one managed to. Although the wax museum itself was probably pretty scary to some.
    OMG I was just talking about this!!! I had called my mom to tell her about the closures and we were talking about when they had the Black Box and I proudly wore my "I Survived The Black Box" button everywhere

I'd like to try and get down there, but I doubt we'll make it

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• no flash photography...

I have never been....There must be more to it than I'm thinking, but is it just people/stars made of wax that you walk by and look at...and thats it?...there's more to it than that,,,right? The idea is kind of freaky?

We're planning to go this Saturday. It's sad that it took the imminent closure to actually motivate us to do something we've been talking about for 5 years!

For those who have gone since the announcement was made, has it been particularly busy? Also, about how long does it take to go through the whole Wax Museum without rushing it?

• Still wants to be a cat!

We went last Saturday but changed our minds when we saw the line to get in the place...wrapped around in front and back into the parking lot. Did go to Ripley's, not crowded at all. Had never done that so thought "What the heck?". Planning on the Wax Musuem during the week, hopefully not so busy. I would like to take my time going through for the last visit. I've been many times, but Wolfman has only been once (when we first met) and the Wolfette has never been.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• I'm your huckleberry.

I have never been to Ripleys, but have been to the Wax Museum a LOT of times. When I was a kid, my mom was the manager of the motel across the street (it used to be a TraveLodge), so we got free tickets to Knotts and the Wax Museum. I practically lived at those two places during the summer. Although, I used to have more fun pretending to ride the horse statues in front of the motel than the Wax Museum!!!

Report from a friend who went last Saturday afternoon was that the wait to buy tickets was announced as 90 minutes but ended up being more like 60.

• DisneyFan

So sad...it really has been an institution for Hollywood Wax figures...the one at Fishermans Wharf lacks the theming and detail to these great movie sets and overall experience. Well, Ripleys is good too it is so similar at all there museums. I just went two months ago to Movieland Wax Museum but I too for the memories and the artistry will try one last time to make it. Beach entertainment has some work to do, especially now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast