• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Help with my Honeymoon - June 2010 Theme/Amusement parks in the North East USA

OK, now that the wedding is over, time to work on the Honeymoon.

The dates I am working with...

Coastermania at Cedar Point on June 4th and 5th

My Mother in Law's BD on June 14th (In Mississippi near the Tennessee border)

American Coaster Enthusiasts Coaster Con XXXIII which is from June 20th through the 26th.

The rough first look at dates and travel.

Arrive in Cleveland on the 2nd (Southwest, currently about $350 per person round trip with no baggage fees).

Get a rental car, about $750 for a full sized car without insurance, which we have through our own car insurance. About 2,000 miles of driving, so gas will be around $500.

Drive to Sandusky, OH that day and check in to a hotel (Cedar Point hasn't posted their rates for on-property hotels, but that would be out first choice, but might opt for an off-property hotel is they want an arm AND a leg). Since we have the Platinum Pass, we get Early Entry anyways, plus the Coastermania ERT's (15 hours worth!).

Check out on the 7th and drive to Kings Island in Mason, Oh.

Enjoy Kings Island on the 8th.

Get up early and drive to SF Kentucky Kingdom and enjoy the day, then keep going to Santa Claus, IN that night. (It is a small park, so we will just hit the Roller Coasters and maybe a few other things, heck, its free with out Six Flags SP). Heck, so far, free admission with our SoCal Passes

The 10th and 11th will be for Holiday World, I have never been there, and would like to take it slowly, and enjoy it. Heck, with free parking, free sodas and free sunscreen, it can't be too bad More than likely will try and find a package deal (not out yet) but otherwise will do it in parts.

Check out on the 12th, and head to Hernando, Mississippi for my Mother in Law's BD (she can't travel by plane anymore due to health reasons, so she missed the wedding).

Leave on the 15th to Pigeon Forge, TN

Spend the 16th at Dollywood

On the 17th, drive to the Charleston area and get a room for a night

The 18th is the second half of the drive, arriving in Pittsburgh.

The 19th will be a day off, maybe some time at Kennywood.

The 20th is the start of Coaster Con XXXIII, with the first stop at Kennywood.

Coaster Con has 4 parks, and goes through Saturday, June 26th.

Alas, due to work issues, we will board a return flight to John Wayne Airport on Saturday the 26th from Cleveland. So depending on the schedule and our flight time, we might drive to Cleveland on Friday the 25th, and get a room for one night, maybe near Geagua Lake and check out the water-park, and see what has happened to the park since the last time I went, when it was Six Flags, and they had just built the water park addition, and was still operating the "SeaWorld" side. Otherwise, drive to Cleveland on the 26th if we have a late flight. Alas, the full Coaster Con schedule has not been released yet.

So any hints on Hotel rooms, we are looking to be on the low side, so places like Motel 6 are fine (though we might also use Hotwire.com). WiFi is a MUST.

Also hints as to places to eat, see, etc....

Thanks in advance for any help....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Help with my Honeymoon - June 2010 Theme/Amusement parks in the North East USA

What are the 4 parks during Coaster Con?

It might be a little out of the area, but how about instead of going from Charleston (West Virginia I take it) staying on the 81 and spending a day at Hershey and a day at Knoebels. They are two AMAZING parks.

Plus, if Kennywood is part of Coaster Con you will get PLENTY of time there.

I would do:

Spend the evening of the 15th and the 16th at Dollywood. Try to drive some that night (the 16th), maybe not as far as Charleston. Maybe Roanoke, VA?

Drive the rest of the way to Hershey on the 17th. They have a twilight pass thing where if you go after a certain time (like on the 17th) you can spend all day there on the 18th.

The 19th drive the 1 1/2 hours from Hershey to Knoebels, at least ride the coasters, spend a few hours there. Who knows, maybe the Flying Turns will actually open this year.

Then in the afternoon drive from Knoebels to Pittsburgh. (4 hour drive).

It's a LOT to add, but I guarantee you won't be dissapointed with either Hershey or Knoebels.

Also, is it possible to only spend 1 day at Holiday World, get to the MIL's a day early and leave a day early? That will give you another day to possibly do Hershey and Knoebels. I really don't think you'll need 2 days at Holiday World and that would give you the same amount of time with the MIL.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Re: Help with my Honeymoon - June 2010 Theme/Amusement parks in the North East USA

Hershey, PA is pretty cool, I would definitely work it in. Don't miss the cupcakes they sell in the big store out front (ok, so coasters aren't my big priority). lol

Sounds like an awesome honeymoon!
    --Jonathan

• Rock Star Minion

Stevie De can meet you at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. A second opinion on the wonderful food options -- and contrast to DL's food ones -- is needed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

On-site hotels at Cedar Point will likely be very expensive. You could save $100 or more by finding a hotel in a smaller town within 40 miles of the place, or in Sandusky. Being onsite will have its privileges, though: no driving the one road with everyone else going to Cedar Point that morning.

But hey, it's a honeymoon.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

When I was at Cedar Point, I stayed at one of the hotels that was just 4 miles outside of the park (I want to say that I stayed at the Fairfield Inn). But all of the hotels in that area close to the park looked like they were decent hotels and cheaper than staying at one owned by CP.

Do you know very much about Holiday World??? I am thinking about going there this summer with my bf and his son. I looked online and thought it sounded cool. (Free soda....free parking!!) And it is about 4 hours from where I am, so that is a plus.

Sounds like a great summer trip to me! Enjoy!
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

if i had to plan a trip on the US East Coast . I'll hit NYC and go to SFGAdv , SFNE , Lake Compounce , Drive further south and hit Busch Gardens Europe and Kings Dominion ......

Like i did when i was in SoCal i went to DLR , SFMM , USH , knotts....!!!

Oh if you near Lake Erie you should stop by Waldameer Park and ride the Ravine Flyer 2 which is the best Wooden Roller Coaster in the US . I know some would say that El Toro or The Voyage are a little better than The Ravine Flyer 2 but because of their Stupid Restrains System made by Intamin i couldn't fit on El Toro .

Terminator at SFMM was very very good but not as good as Troy in Toverland in the Netherlands . yes i loved woodies !!!!!

Have a great trip on the US East Coast ! And Enjoy the Rides !

When I went to Cedar Point we stayed at the Breakers Express.

• dippy the goof

Spent the first week of june 2008 at ceder point stayed right at the park and the rates were very reasonable....also the park was empty tues. wed. and thursday before the coaster crew came in on friday....
    Enjoy the "air" on teh magnum XL 200....

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

No stop at Michigan's Adventure? That was my "home" park growing up (it was also called Deer Park Funland back then too).