Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spongebob gets the boot

According to the Mercury News this morning, Great America in Santa Clara CA has given Spongebob the boot by SNOOPY! Yay I guess when they reopen in the Spring all the Nicktoons will be gone and Peanuts characters will take their place. Can't say I will miss them
    Janette

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Spongebob gets the boot

Such a strange move. Kids today may know Sponge Bob and the other Nick Toons, but I doubt that many young kids know the Peanuts characters very well. While I grew up with Snoopy, you just don't see many kids hauling around their Snoopy plush any more.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Snoopy and the gang, I just don't think they are relevant to today's kids in the way many of the Nick characters are.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disappearing/Reappearing

You're right. My 7 yr old LOVES Spongebob....but, barely knows who the Peanut gang is. It's not due to my neglect...we've watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and the Christmas Special...she just doesn't care. LOL

Strange move on Great America's part.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I agree with Dusty. I'd have to think it was a matter of licensing fees: Nickelodeon probably wants much more to license SpongeBob than UFS or the Schulz family or whoever wants to license Peanuts.

My son knows the Peanuts characters, but mostly because his Dad and my late cousin are/were Snoopy nuts.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I wonder if it was licensing. That would make more sense. Although didn't the reverse happen at the Mall of America? They had a "Camp Snoopy" park in the mall, and lost the license and then changed over to Nickelodeon. I think Snoopy & the gang are great characters, but I agree that most kids these days don't know or don't care.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Yes, Cedar Fair had the rights for the Nick brand when they bought the Paramount Parks a few years ago, and the contract expired at the end of the year.

Both parties agreed that it was best to part ways, since Nickelodeon is working with other parks and hotels, and looking for their own opportunities.

Cedar Fair has a LONG term contract for the Peanuts characters when Cedar Fair bought Knott's Berry Farm. Over the years, many parks, including Cedar Point have had Snoopy and the gang added as part of their offerings.

This also allows Cedar Fair to export more of its shows, such as the Snoopy Ice Skating shows to more parks. Since the show is already scripted and a soundtrack is available, it is a fairly simple job of just auditioning local Ice skaters (or those who are willing to travel for a summer of work) to make the show happen.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let me add...

ABC still shows many Peanuts Specials throughout the year in Primetime.

Also, most newspapers still run Peanuts cartoons. (Which are reruns, and are classics).

And my Flower Girl (The lovely 2 year old Kaya) favorite character is SNOOPY! Her favorite toys and blanket are Snoopy themed. (And yes, she also is a fan of Ariel!)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Hukuna Matata!

I feel bad for the kids who dont know about snoopy, what a great cartoon.

Peanuts is a classic evergreen franchise that can appeal to a wide demographic (ie kids and parents and grandparents) Spongebob is more of a teen or younger demo. It makes sense (plus Licensing may have been less for the Peanuts gang, that what Paramount is asking for Spongebob.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Peanuts is a classic evergreen franchise that can appeal to a wide demographic (ie kids and parents and grandparents) Spongebob is more of a teen or younger demo. It makes sense (plus Licensing may have been less for the Peanuts gang, that what Paramount is asking for Spongebob.
    Viacom (Nick and Paramount's parent company) was asking for an unreasonable amount of $$$ for the Nick characters, and Cedar Fair, which is already hurting for cash, wouldn't pony up.

Nick's been trying to establish itself in the tourism market, but with them pulling out of the Universal parks and the former Paramount Parks, the cancellation of the planned Nickelodeon hotel in San Diego, and the cancellation of the Nickelodeon theme park in New Orleans, that leaves them with Nickelodeon Universe in the Mall of America, the original Nickelodeon hotel in Orlando, the Nickelodeon deal with Norwegian Cruise Lines, and two themed areas internationally (one in Germany, and one in Australia). In 2006, they had ten theme park areas/attractions/hotels, eight of which were in the US.

Viacom has so many great properties (with Paramount, Nick, MTV), they could easily theme a full resort around them. It's sad that when they washed their hands of the Paramount Parks, their interest in operating theme parks went with it.

Now, I for one am indifferent on the loss of the Nick characters. I'll miss them and I have tons of memories pertaining to the Nick area in Great America, but Nickelodeon is constantly reinventing itself and the theme park areas are still stuck in the era when they opened (The Wild Thornberrys, which had three attractions in the area, became obsolete only a year after the area opened). Snoopy will remain timeless and adults will recognize them and share their memories of those characters with their kids.

• Senior Minion

I still say Good Riddance to spongebob and the rest of the over-exposed gang. Time to bring in the classics!!! I can't wait to see Snoopy at King's Island come April.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

When I went to Cedar Point in 2005, I really enjoyed the Snoopy theme. It was cute. I thought the Snoopy on ice was really disappointing (I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of Disney on Ice), but it was a good way to cool off.

I teach 2nd graders and they all know about the Peanuts gang. When I showed the Great Pumpkin this past Halloween they all cheered when I told them what we would be watching. And I wore a Peanuts sweatshirt for Christmas and we all talked about the characters. The 7-8 year old crowd in my part of the world loves Snoopy and pals!

Sara S.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Minion

All right, payback for what happened to MoA's Camp Snoopy! Granted, I do like the Avatar ride they have there now, though the show deserves more of a thrill darkride then anything else.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

So San diego is the last spongebob ride area?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I grew up loving snoopy. The day Charles died was one of the saddest days of my life. Alas, this makes me quite happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast