• Now with 5% more insanity

Disaster Transport at Cedar Point

Anyone who has ridden Disaster Transport, the indoor "dark" rollercoaster at Cedar Point can tell you that the coaster is showing it's age. There are numerous light leaks in the dark portions, the theme consists of poorly painted florescent paint, and it seems the coaster itself is screeching for mercy. SO, since we are Disney addicts, we're going to give this coaster a Disney sized makover! Tell me your ideas for this poor, rundown coaster!

• Choir nerd

Re: Disaster Transport at Cedar Point

Sounds like the "Runaway Mountain" at Six Flags over Texas. It has some rockwork on the outside, but it is literaly a cube of fake rocks. Its obvious that there is a steel building under it (and you can see it in some spots). It isn't much better on the inside (the cieling in the loading room is horible). And, there are lots of light spills.

Both of these rides could use a new structure around them, one that will keep all natural light out. Perhaps there could be a few animatronics to help tell some kind of story?

I think it needs more then just a new structure though. The coaster itself is having issues. It was screeching really loud when we rode it, and it didn't seem safe. I would definitely like to see some nice animatronics though. There is one in the loading area, but it's very cheap...

I almost wonder if it would be better to demolish it and start from scratch. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

EDIT: Found some pics.

Here is the show building.

This is inside the coaster. The robotic arm in the middle didn't move when I rode it. (above)

This is in the que. The animatronics are really jerky, but at least it's something.

Last edited by BANANAZ; 02-21-2010 at 12:02 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't ridden Disaster Transport since it was brand new. But even back in 1990 I thought it was a bad Space Mountain ripoff.

The ride that was there before it was a bobsled ride called Avalance Run. It was weird, but different at the same time. You rode in these giant bobsleds down a slide track. Found some pics here:

Disaster Transport (Cedar Point)

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Disaster Transport IS Avalanche Run, in a box. Intamin Bobsled ride.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

I don't know why they felt like they needed to box it in though. And it's so HOT inside the show building. And that was on a fall day. Does anyone know if they have air conditioning?

EDIT: I found an article that stated it was closed in because blowing sand got in the troughs. Makes sense. Although it stated that the effects used to be a lot better, and they let it run down and took a lot of effects out. How sad, huh?
    Last edited by BANANAZ; 02-21-2010 at 07:05 PM.

• Shablagoo!

I love Disaster Transport. I would hate to see it go. It sounds like it needs refurbishment. So just fix exerything up and leave it at that.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

It's also got a leaky roof- so it closes on rainy days, too
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• ...is busy, please hold.

'No need to waste money' as they would say.
    It's at the end of its career, give it five or ten years and America's Roller Coast will have it long replaced with another record-breaking monster.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

I also wasn't aware that it was one of the last bobsled coasters left. I would really hate to see it replaced with some record breaking monster, because I wouldn't ride it if it was replaced. I don't like Dragster or Millennium Force. Too much is just too much.

Anyway, this thread is about ideas. Anyone got some rethemeing ideas for this coaster?

Make it a bobsled-themed coaster again, keep it indoors but like theme it to the Olympics and call it "Cool Runnings". Jamaican music can play in the queue and have an AA of Doug E Doug kissing his lucky egg.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Make it a bobsled-themed coaster again, keep it indoors but like theme it to the Olympics and call it "Cool Runnings". Jamaican music can play in the queue and have an AA of Doug E Doug kissing his lucky egg.
    I would love that! Believe it or not, I actually know what movie you're talking about, which is rare for a person my age. Lucky for me, my older sister is well versed in great movies such as that. I wonder how many other people remember that movie?

Are you kidding? That movie & the whole story of the Jamaican bobsled team in '88 got me into really loving to watch bobsled every winter Olympics. I was sooo disappointed to see the Jamaicans don't have a bobsled team this year though.

I even remember when Prince Albert was on Monaco's bobsled team. I thought that was pretty wild.

• Choir nerd

I think an Olympic Bobsledding theme would be great! That way they wouldn't have to fix the building. The only problem is they'd have to pay the Olympic people a ton of cash.