• Senior Minion

Texas (with a hint of the Little Rock zoo)

Over the past 10 days I have been to San Antonio Texas, Dallas Texas and Little Rock Arkansas to visit my brothers and their family.

We started out in San Antonio for a few days and after leaving Ohio with 20 degree weather, it was so welcoming to land in Texas with 70 degrees and blue skies!!!

First up is the riverwalk. It was just such a beautiful day to walk around downtown that we took our time. For a weekday it was pretty crowded and we had to fight crowds just to walk along the river.

While we were there, we also went to the Alamo. It was a lot smaller all around than I thought it would be. I had seen it before, but never been inside.

Had to get my picture taken in front of it.

At a shop across from The Alamo, I met a new friend.

His name is Mr. Jackalope. He seems to be pretty popular in Texas.

A few days later, we all decided to meet halfway in Dallas for the weekend and go to the Dallas World Aquarium. My brother came down from Little Rock with his family and we drove from San Antonio. It was the first time in years the whole family was together.

Again, beautiful weather in Dallas, just perfect for any activity.

I love otters, they are so cute!!

I loved the atmosphere in there, it just like a rainforest.

These guys were especially playful that day.

Now just some misc pics from various small exhibits:

Stingray!

Jaws!!!!!

Penguins!!

Big kitty!!

Every now and then they had some mayan dancers performing.

After this, we all stopped for lunch here:

Next up, Dallas Cowboy Stadium tour!!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Re: Texas (with a hint of the Little Rock zoo)

Later that night, we all decided to get out of the hotel for a bit, so my sister-in-law heard from a friend that the Galleria Dallas was a nice mall to walk around at and it wasn't too far from us.
    Here a few pics of Dallas at dusk (note - hard to take pics when you are squished in the middle seat).

This was the best thing I saw on the way. Hard to capture it when the car is going 80mph but I did the best I could.

Epic win!!!

So, Once we get to the mall, it was crowded, so we parked in the parking garage. The mall really didn't look too big from the outside, but inside:

Yes, that is a 4 story shopping mall with an ice skating rink on the bottom level. I was in heaven.

For those who know my name, you kinda know why I had to stop here, even if it wasn't open.

More to come later!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Great Pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

My husband's two sisters live in Texas, but we have never been there. My husband traveled so much on business when he was younger, that he shys away from it now. Especially when it includes an airplane ride.

I look forward to the rest of your report.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I love the photos, esp. the zoo. And just where do you plan to hang that Tiffany sign? I mean, you bought it, right? :-)

I spent a couple of weeks in San Antonio when I was much younger. I really, really hated it. It looks much better now, though. It was kinda yucky then.

Great TR, thanks for sharing!

• Senior Minion

So, on our last day in Dallas, we decided to do a tour of Dallas Cowboys stadium as 3 members of the family are fans. Well, it was a rainy day (very heavy rain) but that didn't matter cause the stadium is nice and indoors

After getting our tickets for the first tour in the pro shop and wandering around until it was time to meet, they called for us. The groups are about 50 people and it was a sold out tour.
    Jerry Jone's wife and daughter did most of the decorating for the stadium, so here and there you will see "hidden footballs" such as in the pic below.

First stop was the suites area.

Apparently you can rent half the room or the whole room for events. They even had a divorce party there earlier the previous day. They said you can even rent out the stadium and/or the field for events (if you can afford it....)

The nice leather seats:

Your field view from said seats:

The cars in this picture are permanent fixtures and next to them what you can't see is that they have a small dancing waters show going on, syncronized to music. Hard to see, but very neat none the less.

Next, we went up to the highest level of standing room only, the Dr. Pepper area. Apparently the sign and arches light up when the Cowboys score a touchdown.

Dr. Pepper ice blocks

Directly across from the stadium was another Texas stadium: Texas Rangers (and behind that, Six Flags)

The big screen has 3 elevators inside that take about 10-15 minutes to come down so the crews can replace lights as need be.
    The Jonas Brothers paid $8,000 to play 2 hour of video games on this screen when they did a concert here.

It's much more daunting in person than on tv. During the tour, the tv just showed stadium construction from over a year ago.

For the top, apparently if Jones wants it open for a game, he has to get prior approval so they know he's not doing it just to help his team. The approval has to be so many hour before the game starts. They have to open the middle panel first, if they open all at once, the pressure inside the stadium will cause it to collapse.

Look, another hidden football!

More next......(The field, the locker room...)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Great TR
    Does that mall have a TV news studio in it too?
    That stadium looks awesome!

And i can see where the pants on the grouns guy on AI got his inspiration from
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

Ok, onward I go.....

Here is the Miller Lite Club, for friends of players and staff, this is not far from the locker room and this is where they run onto the field from.

This time, we were allowed on the grass as it was part artificial grass and part real grass (according to my Cowboys fan brother).

This screen is sooo much bigger when you are out on the field.

On the 50 yard line

After playing on the field for a bit, we got to go to the locker rooms. First up was the players locker room. It had been rented out the night before for a small office party, so it was still a bit of a mess.

The most photographed locker?

Yeah. Big line of men and women wanting their picture taken in front of Romo's locker on our tour. (me included).

Next was the Cheerleaders locker rooms.

This is their make-up room. You have to be 18-29 and have a full time job to qualify. You do have to try out every year. And for the first year, your $50/year pay goes to charity, and then after that year, you can accept sponsorships and endorsements to help give you more money if you wanted.
    They also had a joke about why the Cheerleaders have their pictures as well as their names above their locker....i'll leave it to you to figure out that joke...

Their lockers have 2 sets of outlets as well as lighted mirrors.

They also have a dance studio back there, but we weren't allowed to go that far.

On our way back up at the end of the tour, the elevator we rode in made my mom have a fan-girl moment. Their elevators have pictures of some of the hall of fame players and we got her favorite.

And here is where they store the extra fields.

Up next: a bit of the Little Rock, Arkansas Zoo.

Oh, I am so jealous!! I wanna go on the stadium tour! I used to live in the Metroplex, and I'm going back for my brother's wedding in the summer. Maybe I can take a tour and go to SFOT also.

•   
    • Disneyland History Lover

Wow, I just spent the last almost two weeks in Texas too. Was in San Antonio toward the beginning of March. Visited the Alamo on March 6th for the anniversary of the battle as I often do and am part of the Alamo Society. Then I went to visit my family down in Deep South Texas for a week after that. I enjoy SoCal, but there's no place like home.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Mmmm Troy Aikman.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

So, after the weekend in Dallas, we went to visit my other brother and his family in Arkansas. Granted, it was beautiful weather (well, with the exception of the last night, when there were 3 tornado touchdowns within 30 minutes of us...) but still, the zoo was literally the only thing we went to and the only time we left the house. In 4 days.

The zoo was very small and not that well kept, lots of cages were being cleaned when we went (so that meant no animals around) and half the animals were noctornal so it was kind of a waste.
    But here are a few pictures from the zoo.

Another new friend I met on the trip

Not sure why this was there, but whatever.

From other angles when we were walking, it looked like a 2-headed giraffe because you could only see 1 set of legs and 2 heads fighting.

I <3 Otters. They are so cute.

Big Kitty. And she was laying right next to the glass.

There were a few bald eagles. The sign said that they had been found in the wild with broken/injured wings so that's why they were here, just to walk around since they can't fly.

Well, that's it!!!

• FastPass n00b

Saving the best picture for last! My gosh the bald eagle sure is a majestic bird, even when it's hopping around on the ground. I saw one at the Wild Animal Park and it was just incredible, it has eyes that just go right through you... razor sharp. I also loved the pictures of the Cowboys stadium, that was amazing!

• Goofy

great pictures. the lioness is a big cat but a beautiful creature though.