• Dontcha know?

Madcity & Dinkytown: College Trip 2010

Well, spring has finally arrived. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming, and high school seniors are panicking about hearing back from and deciding on colleges! Thankfully, I was able to narrow my list down to two schools so my parents and I headed to the Midwest to determine which one I'll be going to next year. We visited the University of Wisconsin- Madison and the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities. It's going to be a really tough decision where to go next year!

On Monday March 29, we flew out of San Diego and arrived at Milwaukee around 6:30. Our hotel was pretty far removed from the downtown area and after a full day of traveling we really didn't feel like taking public transportation. So, we were relegated to the nearby Branded Steer for dinner, where there are slot machines at the entrance and smoking is allowed indoors (yuck!). When you're on the road in an unfamiliar area, it's hard to be choosy, I guess.

The next morning we picked up the rental car and hopped on I-94 toward Madison. The drive was beautiful. Saw tons of farms and lots (I mean LOTS!) of bodies of water, something you miss out on living in Southern California. We arrived in Madison three hours before our scheduled tour of UW, so we grabbed a bite to eat in the downtown area and wandered around campus for a while. Here are some pics that I snapped:

The capitol building from State Street.

Wisco historical society

Science Hall

Memorial Union

God help me if I ever run into one of these...

Otter!

Lake Mendota

Me and Mom

This must be gorgeous in the warmer seasons

The remaining ice on the shores of Lake Mendota... yikes!

Bascom Hall looked a tad more majestic in the literature they sent me...

That's it for Wisco. I'll be back later with Minnesota pics!

• Dontcha know?

Re: Madcity & Dinkytown: College Trip 2010

Wednesday morning we drove from Madison to Minneapolis. That was one looooong car ride. We checked into the hotel, ate lunch, and decided to do some exploring around the UM campus. If you can believe it, it reached 80 degrees that day! Must have been some kind of record. The campus was gorgeous, despite the fact that most plants weren't in bloom yet.

Approaching campus from Dinkytown

This is basically how I have always envisioned college

The Mississippi River runs through campus, how cool!

Enjoying the visit but soooo sunburnt!

I put this as my first choice dorm... not too shabby

West bank campus

They told us on the tour that the new student union is meant to look like a gopher

View of downtown Minneapolis from the union

Midwesterners soaking up the sun

Being sirry with Goldy Gopher

Well, that concludes the TR. My Minnesota financial aid package became available for viewing once I got home, and it was pretty darn generous. I also got that "Wow, I can totally see myself here" feeling there, something I feel I missed out on at Wisconsin. At this point I think UM is my best option. Can't wait to stock up on Minnesota t-shirts and sweatshirts!

Go Golden Gophers!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Enjoy it! College was one of the best experiences in my life, use it well! I remember visiting the same schools (I even visited Harvard!) and even married someone from Wisconsin!

Thanks for sharing,
    Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I agree ENJOY! I'm 25 and moving to Portland from MN. I have been up by the U a lot and it is very nice up there but be ready for some cold! LOL

• I'm reaching new Horizons

These schools looks great.

Twin Cities seems more like my kind of school, but both campuses look really beautiful.

I'm in school myself, but I chose to stay in southern California and I'm going to UC Irvine, so that I could be close to Disneyland.

I hope for all the best for you and to tell you something my parents told me:

"Don't make enemies, make friends. They will last a lifetime"

Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Thanks for putting these up. There's a big chance I'll be going to UW-Madison, so these pictures are greatly appreciated.

Shame you're leaning towards Minnesota though, I was looking forward to actually not being the loner Californian on campus.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Dontcha know?

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Thanks for putting these up. There's a big chance I'll be going to UW-Madison, so these pictures are greatly appreciated.

Shame you're leaning towards Minnesota though, I was looking forward to actually not being the loner Californian on campus.
    I know! I'm pretty bummed we won't get to form our club . I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about during hockey season, though! Congrats on UW! I really enjoyed it when I visited, but I didn't get the warm-fuzzies there the way I did at UM. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time there!

If you're looking to meet other West-coasters heading to Madison, I would join a facebook group for admitted students. Who knows- you could end up with a group of friends before getting to orientation!

Congrats to you too on Minnesota, it's a really good school.

I want to get into journalism though, and UW has a seriously awesome school of journalism, so I guess it's Madison for me. Not looking forward to the snow!

Good luck on your future, call me up when we're there and maybe we'll meet at a local theme park. No Disneyland, but you gotta take what you can get.

HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

• Dontcha know?

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Good luck on your future, call me up when we're there and maybe we'll meet at a local theme park. No Disneyland, but you gotta take what you can get.
    Fosho! I'll be right next door to the Mall of America, which I guess is sort of an amusement park in its own right. Besides missing Mexican food and beach access, I think the lack of Disneyland will be one of the hardest things about moving away from home. Yikes!

Oh heck yeah, I'll miss the Mexican food...along with IN-N-OUT.

Didn't like the beach to begin with, so no problem there. Actually prefer lakes, so there's some good news.

And you are sooo freaking lucky to be right next to the MoA. The only good-sized park near me is Mt. Olympus.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!