Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Planning a possible summer trip to Seattle

My wife and I are looking at the possibility of a summer trip to Seattle, probably in late August as I'd like to take in an Angels-Mariners game up there between August 30 and September 1.

But we could be going earlier in the month.

We may not be going at all, because of fluctuating financial conditions.

If we do go, we'd like to investigate the Amtrak Coast Starlight. We'd have a week to ten days total, so that would be counted as part of the vacation experience.

I know that, illogically, it's usually cheaper to fly than take the train.

Any thoughts, tips, thoughts on good places to stay? She's been to Seattle before - I haven't.

We'd be leaving from Carpinteria or Santa Barbara, CA most likely if we take Amtrak - so I know that means a trip on the bus to Bakersfield first.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Planning a possible summer trip to Seattle

I am going to Seattle this summer so I am thinking about it too.

So far my list of things I want to do are:

- Underground tour
    - Public Market
    - Experience Music Project
    - Some good sea food (I went here as a teen and enjoyed it greatly Ivar's Seafood - Seattle's Best Seafood and Chowder)
    - Maybe a walking tour City of Seattle's Official Web Site
    - other stuff.

I will post more info on this thread if you like?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Please do.

With my fear of heights, sadly the Space Needle is probably out of the question.

Am largely interested too, beyond the train vs. flying question, in good places to stay there on a budget. I don't mind Motel 6...but wife likes something a little better, so guess what...no Motel 6.

I wanna see Safeco even if the Mariners are away...and Qwest Field, maybe a quick look at U-Dub's stadium...I'm a sports guy after all...wife isn't into sports so that's where the other places come in. She's already seen the Fish Market, first Starbucks, etc...but those are a must on my list.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Seattle's my town. LOTS of places to stay. Need to have an idea of your budget and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Will you rent a car or be relying on public transit?

Cross the underground tour off your list unless you enjoy the stench of urine. It's a waste...pun intended.

Space Needle is a MUST....make rezzies for lunch at the rotating Sky City cafe. I'm not too fond of heights either and apart from the elevator ride up (just sidle yourself to the back of the elevator, you'll be fine), and the walk around the observation deck, the height really isn't noticed.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

•   
    • Seasick

The Underground Tour is a must-see in Seattle, everyone I know who's done it has loved it. Not sure how accessible it is if you have mobility issues though.

Ivar's is great for Seafood, I recommend their all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch.

Driving a bit north for the Boenig factory tour is recommended as well.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Seasick

Hmm...simultaneous differing opinions of the Underground tour...I assure you however that my opinion is the correct one
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   

After the last weekend in July is when summer really starts in Seattle, so your timing of an August visit will be perfect for soaking in some Seattle Sunshine. Nothing like it.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Hmm...simultaneous differing opinions of the Underground tour...I assure you however that my opinion is the correct one

I respectfully disagree. Been there, done that, couldn't wait to get outta there n' wash the smell off me. Better to just swing thru Pioneer Square on a walking tour -- fresh air above ground!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Seattle's my town. LOTS of places to stay. Need to have an idea of your budget and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Will you rent a car or be relying on public transit?

Cross the underground tour off your list unless you enjoy the stench of urine. It's a waste...pun intended.

Space Needle is a MUST....make rezzies for lunch at the rotating Sky City cafe. I'm not too fond of heights either and apart from the elevator ride up (just sidle yourself to the back of the elevator, you'll be fine), and the walk around the observation deck, the height really isn't noticed.
    Thanks, all4. Like I said, our plans are really up in the air, we're looking at making a down payment on a house so it depends how much if anything we have left over if we go at all. I really do wanna go. I'll get back to you on the budget.

•   

Dining options:

For Seafood - www.flyingfish.com

For Steaks - www.themetropolitangrill.com

SUPERB dining - www.canlis.com

Great fish/chips lunch - www.spaceneedle.com

Hole in the wall excellence - www.thekingfish.com

Best donuts - www.toppotdoughnuts.com

What else y'be craving??

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I'd imagine that seafood, and any place with good vegetarian options, would be high on our list. Wife also likes really good thai, Indian, and Asian.

Is there much to see or do on Puget Sound?

• The Study of Wumbo

I've been to Tacoma because some family lives right nearby, and we spent a day in Seattle. We went to the Space Needle, the Pacific Science Center, and the Experience Music Project. The EMP had the Disney music exhibit so I HAD to see it. There was also the Fun "Forest" "amusement park," really some rides in the shadow of the Space Needle, but I think that's mostly gone right now. The Pacific Science Center is really neat, but unless you have kids, it might only be worth a walk around the premises to glance at some of the exhibits.

Those are all right in the same area, where the Worlds' Fair once was.

That's all right in the same area so you could take a day to do that.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the contributions so far !

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I'd imagine that seafood, and any place with good vegetarian options, would be high on our list. Wife also likes really good thai, Indian, and Asian.

Is there much to see or do on Puget Sound?

For vegetarian....oh my, yes. Lotta granola heads living in Seattle so choices are many. www.cafeflora.com is among my faves.

Thai, Indian and PanAsian....you are coming to the right place. www.wildginger.net www.chutneystogo.com

Puget Sound is nice to look at, sure. You'll want to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bremerton or Bainbridge or San Juans. Nice day trip. There are also fishing trip excursions,but I haven't partaken in any first hand.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Puget Sound is nice to look at, sure. You'll want to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bremerton or Bainbridge or San Juans. Nice day trip. .
    A ferry ride is a great way to see the sound. It is best to do on a nice day. The Bainbridge Island run is shorter, but the Bremerton run takes you through some inlets and would let you get a peek at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Downtown Bremerton is kind of a bore. They have done a lot to improve it over the years, but it is not much to get excited about.

Be sure to look at Happy Hour menus for some of these restaurants. Metropolitan Grill can be very expensive, but their Happy Hour menu is excellent. They have some terrific food at relly cheap prices.

Another great local joint is Red Mill Burgers. They are near Woodland Park Zoo which is an excellent zoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast