• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Photo TR: Dreamworld's Illuminate - Light & Laser Spectacular

Dreamworld's Illuminate - Light & Laser Spectacular

Illuminate runs daily at 5.00pm from April 2nd to 16th and is complimentary for all Dreamworld or World Pass ticket holders.

This Easter Dreamworld creates an enchanting multi-media light spectacular that takes guests on an adventure deep into the twilight hours. A celebration of song and dance, guests will be entertained using high-powered lasers, oversized water screens, special effects, pyrotechnics, architectural lighting, surround-sound and digital image projection.

From 5pm Dreamworld remains open with selected rides, attractions, shops and dining before two great Light & Laser shows; "SpongeBob's jelly fish jam" and "Celebrate" create the perfect finale to your day.

Brought to Dreamworld by Laser Vision the creators of the world's largest light and sound show - Hong Kong's Symphony of Lights.

Illuminate - Dreamworld Theme Park - Gold Coast - Australia
    I'm planning on checking out this show tomorrow evening, before its run is over.
    Finally a night light show for Australia!

It's by the same company responsible for the Hong Kong Symphony of Light.

So I'll go into it expecting something like this:

It's promo photos show water, video and fire/pyro. I've probably got my hopes up too much to be expecting this?!:

I wasnt so impressed with the Hong Kong show, so hopefully Illuminate is better.

To bad its not a more permanent thing, it'd be a big draw card for Dreamworld if it were!

Time will tell. I hope to have some photos to show after tomorrow.
    Last edited by rya86n; 04-15-2010 at 03:15 AM.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Re: Dreamworld's Illuminate - Light & Laser Spectacular

So the pics are a bit delayed, but here they are.

Arriving at Dreamworld, the performance arena is right in front of you as you entered the park.

Immediately there's some noticable infrustructure for the show.

What's up there?

And over there too.

I suppose when a show is more permanent stuff like this can be hidden and themed into the surrounds alot more.

Through lack of observation, I dont have a good photo of this. I didnt realise until later in the evening, but almost hidden from view in this shot, behind the fountain is a very small mist screen.

And this. Pyro anyone?

Here's that mist screen.

Speakers look a bit more permanent, but they're just facing/surrounding the Illuminate viewing area.

This didnt look too professional.

Advertising.

I was surprised guests started securing their viewing spots this early - I suppose it was the last night of the show.

The chairs are disappearing from here.

There they are.

So the sun sets, and the lights turn on to get people excited.

They fog up the air a bit so we can see the lasers.

And then, only in Australia do we need an MC for a light & laser show!

And Spongebob!

The first act of Illuminate is essentially an episode of Spongebob on the mist screen. The projection wasnt very good, it was quite dull.

Added laser effects broke up the whole feel that we were just watching tv on a mist screen.

The second act was called "Celebrate" or was it "Celebration"? Either way, it made me recall all the negative receptions of Disney's Celebrate A Street Party.

But it was much cooler to watch than the wannabe World of Color mist screen.

So there was light.

There were lasers.

And there was fire!

At this stage I had probably just watched this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii9v5-uEXyI"]YouTube - World of Color full test recorded from the Grand Californian[/ame]

And after seeing how much they went all out with the pyro towards the end of the show, i'm not sure this repetative burst of flame had the same effect.

And with few spasmatic bursts of flame Illuminate ended.

Congrats to Dreamworld for putting on a decent nighttime show.

I would have liked to see some fireworks in there.

The close proximity of the show to the limited number of guests watching, did make it a better performance than the Hong Kong show by the same company.

Not the best show, but certainly rather revolutionary for the Australian theme park scene. Now they just need to step things up a notch, and make it permanent and they'll be on their way to catching up with the international scene.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris