• Tonka's Skipper

Talking Freedomland U.S. A.

Does anyone remember Freedomland U. S. A. a theme parks in Bronx, New York, 1960 to 1965. It was themed and shaped like the USA and designed by a ex Disney imagneeer?...Had some DL type rides but also some great original ones as well.

It was a great park for the first 2 years then they went coney island and it closed when the New York Worlds Fair was running!

Any input?

AKK

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Freedomland U.S. A.

Thanks for mentioning this! My dad always mentions it when we're driving to see a Mets game or to the Airport.

Can you tell me exactly where the location was? I remember him pointing out the location around Co-op City, a kind of swampy area.

I've heard tell of a fleet of showboats that ran in the rivers there, and I've been told that a showboat that is docked on the banks of the Byram River, on the border of Port Chester, NY, and Greenwich, CT (my town,) ran there.

I have named several of my parks on Roller Coaster Tycoon "Freedomland."
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

• The Study of Wumbo

Darn you, Aimster. Now I will forever live in bitterness that we don't have our own fansite-worthy theme park within thirty minutes driving distance!

It looks to me almost like a United States version of DCA.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Tonka's Skipper

Good morning,

It was indeed at co-op city, betwen the Hutchson River Parkway and 95. The area where the biuldings are was the parking lots and the area where all the stores and shopping is now was the park.

The entrance road leading from 95 was the originial entrance with lil old New york at the entrance.

The steamboat in Port Chester was the Canadian with the other the American, alas the American was broken up a few years ago after laying beached for years on a small lake in CT.

The Canadian was named the Mark Twain and for years as a lounge at the showboat restuerant in Greenwich Ct., before being moved to Port Chester.

Some rides were up at Lake George the Great Escape Park. The Toranto just recently closed down, Danny the Dargon is in the back lot of Great Escape last I heard. The Carousel was ago 100 years old, and was also at Great Escape, but was dismantled a few years ago and sold off in pieces

The Steam train engines are up in Portland Maine at a small guage railroad. One engine is now number 4.

There is also some items including the San Franciso Rail road station biulding, at Clarks Bear park in New Hampshire.

The Tugboats were up at a small park in Middlebury CT, but were also broken up a few years ago.

Ebay has some home mioves up for sale now and then.

Our family went twice a year until it closed, (I grew up in New Rochelle) It may not have been on the level of DL, but it was a great place.

AKK

The earthquake & pirate rides were sold to Cedar Point. Neither ride is there anymore though. Earthquake left to make way for Berenstein Bear County (which was then replaced with Snoopy/Peanuts) and the Pirate Ride closed when one of the newer coasters went in. I remember going on Pirate Ride back in junior high... it gave me the heebie-jeebies.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
    The Canadian was named the Mark Twain and for years as a lounge at the showboat restuerant in Greenwich Ct., before being moved to Port Chester.
    I have heard of this.

Some rides were up at Lake George the Great Escape Park. The Toranto just recently closed down, Danny the Dargon is in the back lot of Great Escape last I heard. The Carousel was ago 100 years old, and was also at Great Escape, but was dismantled a few years ago and sold off in pieces
    I'm surprised it went to Great Escape instead of Rye Playland or Lake Compounce, (my home parks.)

The Tugboats were up at a small park in Middlebury CT, but were also broken up a few years ago.
    Could this be Quassy you speak of?
    -Hale (wumbology)

• Tonka's Skipper

Morning Wombology,

Quassy.thats the name.I could not think of the name before.

Playland has its own great history.......some it its original rides were lost in fires over the years.the bumper cars......the magic carpet.and a few others.

They still have one of 2 high speed steepchase carousels. I am not sure where the other is.

I do remember a story about the Canadian, when she was brought by the owner of the Steamboat resteurant, he wanted to have her put in the water by the park and steam her up to Greenwich and then run evening criuses!. You have to remember as pretty as they looked, they were park rides, not real stable craft!. The USCG told him no way!.They ended up towing her to the dock in Greenwich and that is where she stayed! Its a shame the shape she is in now............really kinda beat up!

The American was in a CT lake somwhere north of New Haven. Some fellow was trying to set up a historical village but it never worked out and for years she layed there. Three years ago without warning a truck and crew showed up, towed her to the road side of the lake and cut her up off she went to the dumps!

AKK

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Well I am sorry I missed out on this, this is before my time. It would have been nice to have a theme park so close to home.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Cedar Point has one of the high speed carousels - it's a more fun ride than some of their mediocre rollercoasters.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

^^ Cedar Downs! This and Gemini are my two favorite rides at Cedar Point.

• The Study of Wumbo

Playland has its own great history...They still have one of 2 high speed steepchase carousels. I am not sure where the other is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Cedar Point has one of the high speed carousels - it's a more fun ride than some of their mediocre rollercoasters.
    Oh. I was under the impression that it was at Kennywood. But, I love the Derby Racer! Especially when I remember how unique and classic it is.

I do remember a story about the Canadian, when she was brought by the owner of the Steamboat resteurant, he wanted to have her put in the water by the park and steam her up to Greenwich and then run evening criuses!. You have to remember as pretty as they looked, they were park rides, not real stable craft!. The USCG told him no way!.They ended up towing her to the dock in Greenwich and that is where she stayed! Its a shame the shape she is in now............really kinda beat up!
    Wow.

We actually cross over the Byram River into Port Chester often, because a large multiplex movie theater, among other things, are right on the water there. I'll have to take a picture if I can on our next trip and I can post it here.
    -Hale (wumbology)