• "I Break Things"

Old West Photos in Big Bear California

I don't usually plug for people. It's just not me. But I literally stumbled upon this place by accident and thought I would share.

Big Bear Lake, CA has some of the most amazing scenery imaginable. I usually take the kids up there at least 5 or 6 times during snow season, sometimes once or twice in the summer. Tinkmomma and I actually stayed up there a few times while we were dating. Off and on you could say I've been going up there since I was a kid, yet never knew about this little gem.

On April 24 Tinkmomma had a babyshower to attend to. I'm not exactly the "stay at home" type. That whole week it had been raining and the news said there was snow up in Big Bear. So I packed the kids in the van, picked up grandma (after all I need a travel buddy) and off we went for the final snow day of the year. Long story short the weathermen lied. They were standing in front of the ski slopes... everything else was dirt with a couple patches of snow. On the bright side we found a couple large patches, so the kids had a snow day, but the trip up was almost a waste. We had dinner and then I spotted this place.

The photographer's name is Richard. He's a local, been in the business 20 years. I initially mistook his shop for a tourist spot. Tink wasn't exactly thrilled with me (I was in Big Bear, seeing snow, and didn't take her so three marks in the book). So I thought as a Mother's Day present I would have the kids pose for an Old West Photo. We all know how that is, most people have done one at Knott's. The photographer gets everyone in a costume, dresses them up, snaps 4 or 5 shots... you pick the best one pay through the nose and there you have a souvenir.

Richard gets the kids all dressed up with grandma's help, and he starts taking shots. While he's taking the shots I walk around. This place is like one of those old antique stores, just so much to look at... as he's taking shots I realize this isn't a tourist spot. On the wall I notice all the frames, most with ribbons that are either red or blue... and he's snapping away. What I thought would be a 10 minute quick snap turned into 60 photos over the course of 1.5hrs... but at the end of the day we narrowed it down to that one photo of all 4 kids for Mother's Day. What shocked me most... his specials beat Knott's prices (only place out here I know of for Old West photos)... and more importantly I left knowing I loved what I bought.

The downside was that because we started so late I couldn't leave with the photos (they hadn't been printed yet). He had misunderstood and didn't realize we were only up for the day... no problem... The very next weekend I woke Tink up bright and early and packed the kids in the van for a return trip. I was so thrilled I did a second photo session, this time the whole family, as an anniversary present.

So if you find yourself up in Big Bear he comes HIGHLY recommended. Richard is a character, the kids LOVED him and his dogs (Chester and Roy). Tink had to literally drag me out of the shop because there was still stuff to look at...
    Last edited by techskip; 05-07-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: Old West Photos in Big Bear California

The first one getting decked out

somehow I don't think OLD WEST NINJA was the plan...

me getting dressed... you can see some of the photos and props all around us.

final product

having a bit of fun (that is Richard our photographer on the left)

the girls and Roy

Tink trying to control chaos

• "I Break Things"

3 on the bar

you can see Tink's amazing dress

Lots of shadows but the whole wall is covered in photos that won various ribbons

a FRACTION of the props and costumes he has collected over the past 20 years

even more stuff (some of it real I might add)

DINO-MITE

Tink in an amazing blue dress

I will email Richard for permission to post the 2 photos I purchased... honestly I couldn't be happier about them. I just couldn't believe how devoted he was to this art... this is the type of product and service that old timers refer to when talking about "old" Knott's and "old" Disney.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I love Big Bear... in the summer! I'm about an hour away, and our daughter got married up there last summer! I've seen the studio up there, but never have been in it. Next time I'm up there I will have to check it out.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Guardian Construct

We get our kids photos done there every year. we even have his old black dog in one of our photos with the kids. she has a cowboy hat on and is adorable but was very old back then. the guy who runs it is very nice and takes great photos!

• "I Break Things"

my scanner broke so I am hoping to borrow the in-laws one.

I think one of the things that made me laugh is that he has an entire STACK of framed photos with ribbons that is sitting on his desk. As he put it he ran out of room and had to choose the best ones!

We gave the shots to our mother's for Mother's Day. They loved them!!!
    Last edited by techskip; 05-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I wanna see your photos Techskip!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!