Photo TR: Rye Playland, Friday May 28th, 2010

Yet another trip meant yet another chance to cram in a visit to a new amusement park. Or, in this case, an old one. The weather made all these shots a challenge, but I still think the charm came through ok.

Playland Park, also known as Rye Playland, is one of few very surviving examples of classic seaside amusement park - complete with water fountain and ice rink.

See? Seaside - I wouldn't lie!

Just inside the gates we see the place is mostly well-preserved despite its age

While unable to compete with the likes of Six Flags or Cedar Fair, Playland aims for a bit of a younger audience to some extent.

Though a quick glance at the map will show plenty of carnival like touches to keep budding thrill-seekers entertained

One of the most challenging thrill rides in the park is Super Flight

No question does this compact flying coaster try to do a lot with little space

And while the maneuvers may look smooth and graceful...

The ride unfortunately offers equal parts discomfort and fun

Some of the thrill rides are simply ancient, like this Whip

The old-school headliner is the 1929 Fred Church Dragon Coaster

This fun double out and back coaster is known for its dragon tunnel, and it's appearance in - I kid you not - a Mariah Carey music video from 1995

The park obviously does what it can with limited space and financial resources

So it's no surprise to find a Wild Mouse here, and a good one at that

But this place is all about the kids

And is likely a place where the whole family can have a surprisingly good time
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Photo TR: Rye Playland, Friday May 28th, 2010

I love Rye Playland. I live about ten minutes away, so it's great fun to just go for a summer evening with friends. Home park, represent!

The thing that kills me is looking at a book of pictures from the park in, like, 1929, and thinking, "Wow, this place is a dump, now, compared to then."
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    The thing that kills me is looking at a book of pictures from the park in, like, 1929, and thinking, "Wow, this place is a dump, now, compared to then."
    Heh, well it's hard to keep the place sparkling like new. Maybe compared to the glow of the good-old-days it's taken a turn for the worse, but it seemed pretty on par with plenty of the other seaside parks of its ilk. Morey's Piers, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Belmont Park - a little sleaze is part of the charm to me.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    Heh, well it's hard to keep the place sparkling like new. Maybe compared to the glow of the good-old-days it's taken a turn for the worse, but it seemed pretty on par with plenty of the other seaside parks of its ilk. Morey's Piers, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Belmont Park - a little sleaze is part of the charm to me.
    Exactly. Not everything can be a Disney or Universal, or even Six Flags.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

I don't think this place is remotely trying to be a Disney or a Universal, or even a Six Flags.

Either way, I thought it was somewhere in the middle as far as atmosphere/clientele. In fact, here's what I wrote in my trip report...
    "We found a spot in the middle of the park’s grassy, tree-lined midway and marveled at the swarming groups of teens (mostly in school groups) as they streaked across the park at breakneck speed. I wouldn’t say any of the guests were especially unruly, and security was plainly obvious, but if I were here with young kids I’d be sure to visit during the day like we had. I’m not suggesting it’d be a full on Magic Mountain situation after dark on the weekend, but no need to chance it."
    Last edited by sarki7; 06-05-2010 at 09:18 AM.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Thanks for sharing! I visited RPL last summer. And although it was humid and hot, I had a great time.

• The Study of Wumbo

I assume this year will be different, in terms of guests. They've started offering season passes.
    -Hale (wumbology)