• WDW CP Spring 2013

Post Yosemite National Park

I took a small trip up to Yosemite National Park today with my mom and my little brother. We saw the famous El Capitan, Bridaveil Falls, and Half Dome view and then took a short hike up to Yosemite Falls. All in all it was a great day and I was all tuckered out by the end of it, but I got some great shots. On to the trip report...

I was awoken by my mom at 11:00 AM (I know, late, but it's summer, so whatever, right?) and she quickly informed me that we would be driving up to Yosemite today. We left the house around 12:00 and started our journey, but not before stopping at the local Target to gather the standard picnic paraphanelia and the like.

She's ready to go!

The drive to the park from our house is not too long but it is painfully dull as the only sight to see was pasture. That is, until we got closer to the small town of Oakhurst.

It wasn't until about 15 minutes later we had reached one of the entrance gates, and were greeted by the many talls trees.

Next up: Half-Dome, El Capitan, and Bridalveil Falls.

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Re: Yosemite National Park

It was another 35 miles to the place we wanted to go to but, there was a fair amount of roadwork going on. This made the the drive about 45 minutes longer, but I didn't mind as I stared into the trees scanning for wildlife. No luck. Eventually we found ourself in this rather large tunnel, which seemed to go on endlessly, however, I found it rather enjoyable.

Finally outside

At the very end of the tunnel lies a viewing area for what is probably the most iconic view in Yosemite: El Capitan, Half-Dome, and Bridalveil Falls.

The old...

...and the new

El Capitan. 3-D Glasses not necessary.

Half-Dome over there in the middle.

Closer picture of Bridalveil Falls.

There was a large amount of people, as there always is.

Next: lunch near the creek, and Yosemite Falls.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

You Have some great picture's ...
    I just there a month ago.....
    and two weeks a go, I went to Sequoia and Kings Canyon!
    Thank You for shareing .....
    Try check out my Trip reports of Both National Parks....
    Eagleman/Jim
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• "I Break Things"

We hope to take the kids up there possibly next summer... we skipped it this summer because we didn't think they would appreciate it after Sequoia and Kings Canyon.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• WDW CP Spring 2013

It was 2:00 pm and we hadn't eaten lunch yet, so we scoured out a place to stop.

We ended up stopping by a small, but gushing creek, and ate our lunch, which was tasty grilled chicken, mac n cheese, and spanish rice.

She was happy to eat too.

We finished our meal and got back on the road again. It was nice taking in a the views of nature again. After a few minutes, we could catch our first glimpse of Yosemite Falls.

We pulled into the Yosemite Lodge parking lot, which was a nightmare. The lot was totally full and it took five complete circles until we finally found a spot that a van was leaving. (after we came back from the falls, we had discovered that the spot was not a parking spot at all! oops!)

Anyway, we began our short hike up to the base of the the falls.

There were a number of interesting sites to see on the way there. I enjoyed this gigantic rock. I took a picture of my brother.

The lovely trees

Here is a stunning view from the path of the falls itself.

She was getting thirsty so she had a nice cool drink by a creek.

Another view going up.

Yosemite Falls actually has two levels. The one that was pictured above was the upper lever, which is the highest leveled waterfall in North America. Here is a map of the falls.

We went to the base of the lower level fall, seeing the former was a couple hours hike.

To the very right there are these rocks that are acessible to visitors to allow them to get much closer to the actual falls.

As you can see, there was a number of people climbing these rocks, myself included.

The breeze that day was abnormally high, so as you can assume, we were soaked. The strong mist that was created blew fiercly at us. It was a bit disappointing because we weren't able to climb as high as we normally do. It really is something to be that close to a waterfall.

And with that, we started our journey back home.

A part of the creek that comes from the base of the falls.

A quaint little bridge.

I was finally able to see wildlife on the drive out. It was a mature deer on the side of the road waiting to pass. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camara ready to take it's picture, but it was exciting nonetheless.

Bye bye, Yosemite!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    You Have some great picture's ...
    I just there a month ago.....
    and two weeks a go, I went to Sequoia and Kings Canyon!
    Thank You for shareing .....
    Try check out my Trip reports of Both National Parks....
    Eagleman/Jim
    Why thank you! I have read both of your trip reports and I really enjoyed them!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    We hope to take the kids up there possibly next summer... we skipped it this summer because we didn't think they would appreciate it after Sequoia and Kings Canyon.
    Oh please do! If not now, when they are all a little bit older. I really appreciated the national parks as a teen, moreso than when I visited 10 years ago.

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Here is a very brief video taken from the base of Yosemite Falls. You can really see how strong the mist was that day.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKgxAQBOOKA]YouTube - Yosemite Falls[/ame]

Thanks for the Trip Report, I'm heading down to the Park at the end of August for the first time, so it's great to see a first hand visit!

Lovely pictures! Sounds like you had a good day. I'm glad to see that the falls are still going so strongly... my husband and I are heading to Yosemite this weekend. Gotta leave early, because it's a four hour drive for us, since we're up by Sacramento!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jacoky View Post
    Thanks for the Trip Report, I'm heading down to the Park at the end of August for the first time, so it's great to see a first hand visit!
    Thank you, and I hope you have fun!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tenaya_owlcat View Post
    Lovely pictures! Sounds like you had a good day. I'm glad to see that the falls are still going so strongly... my husband and I are heading to Yosemite this weekend. Gotta leave early, because it's a four hour drive for us, since we're up by Sacramento!
    Thank you so much! Yes, the falls were very strong. People standing on the adjacent bridge were getting soaked!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Spectacular. I've never been there myself, but it is some of the most beautiful country on earth. And I love the shot of your doggie!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.