Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

T&T San Diego Fair at Del Mar

Tink and I talked this over a while ago. She's due around the time OC Fair opens. So the only chance we really have of a "family memory" of fair this year is down in San Diego. We haven't been to the Del Mar Fair in over 6 years... wow... it's a lot bigger. And when did they change the name to "San Diego County Fair"... ?

Anyhow after a bit of research, and an amazing TR by DisneyFan28 http://micechat.com/forums/other-the...6-15-10-a.html off we went.

The initial plan was to leave around 8am to make it in time to park and get in when it opened at 10am. So sometime around 930am we finally left and after several stops for supplies we finally made it around 1130am...

Parking at 11am was "wonderful". The fist sign we saw was that the free parking near the horse park was full. Then after about 5 minutes of not moving I decided to get out of the $10 line and into the $15 preferred line... until that one stopped. Thankfully I noticed that with a quick left I could be in a different $10 lot, park the car, and save us $5! Yay for my Disneyland parking/driving maneuvers... so for anyone going to visit you want the second $10 lot on the left across from the $15 entrance!

I had initially planned to get tickets in advance (Albertsons and CVS are running specials where you save $2 on an adult ticket). But since we were running late we skipped that and just bought tickets there... really not a long line!

3 kids going to FAIR

The theme this year is "Taste the Fun"... see DCA someone can come up with a cornier name then "Glowfest"!

some things demand that you do the tourist thing and take a picture of them!

In case you somehow missed the lame name on the outside here is the back!

Paradise Pier in about 5 years...

The first thing we walked into was the Garden Exhibit... wow... lots of blurry pictures that didn't come out but for any garden/flower fan this is a must. Our little girls LOVED it.

I want one

why... because it looked cool!

All made out of seeds... really sort of cool in a way.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: T&T San Diego Fair at Del Mar

Just a "down the street" shot.

I hear BAGPIPES... we were actually looking for food but hey it's a parade!

now that is a cool drum head!

Tip#2 every seat in this place is PACKED, so eat near a stage with bleachers... if it is a show people don't like you have extra seating.

The traditional version of folk dancing (imagine Matterhorn queue music).

our version... minus any sense of rhythm... but a nice old man was nice enough to dance with both of them! I don't mean to pick on traditional dancing. Personally I enjoyed it, but a lot of people walked away when the polkas kicked into high gear!

I ran into this guy while getting food. If you can't get a band together then just do it all! He was doing a Beatles cover (actually decent I might add).

Sure I have time to take a picture of a sign saying "10 pound buns"!

I gained half a pound just reading this sign...

We found the Hollywood Pictures Backlot booth!

random games, reminded me of Knotts actually

A little Universal Studios action here....

• "I Break Things"

In a backyard in Texas someone is probably building a bigger one...

Camels. One thing I regret is that we didn't make it to the camel dairy milking demonstration. I hope to actually do the dairy tour sometime this year though.

THIS is what Condor Flats is missing. See the smile and the laughs... every kid loves a plane.

Ok... so ummm... it went a weee bit fast right before climbing and diving like a WW2 ace... and that didn't go over so well.

There is something about going INSIDE the belly of a dragon and spinning around that seems almost morbid.

Ok... everyone say indigestion!

What really happened to the original Dumbo ride...

• "I Break Things"

And they have a carousel

which was almost as cool as some of the other ones we went on except this one didn't have seat belts... so be advised parents!

Random flume ride... bad thing is it was 4 tickets and they only got 1 short trip...

But it still has more theme then Screamin!

I call it the DCA version of Western River Expedition!

quick "I'm almost ready to have the baby" picture.

The teacups!

Arrr the Pirates of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

A really cool plane ride called "Flying Tigers" that almost threw him out of the seat on the turns!

he was curious

Red Rider Red Rider this is Riding Hood about to take out Barbie on turn 2!

And just in case you didn't sense the subtle trademark infringements...

• "I Break Things"

Tip #4 (#3 was be careful of the beltless carousel). The kiddie bumper cars actually MOVE. Unlike Disney's wimpified cars that barely budge, these ones actually have some speed to them... and this is the "kiddie" version!

Initially there was some slight confusion on the part of our kids as they were instructed that to move you had to press down on the pedal... once that was resolved...

her first victim was her own sister...

By the end of the 3 minute time period she had hit EVERY SINGLE CAR in there at least TWICE. I am so proud of her... I wanted her to go out there and hit the pace car... why... so she'd be perfect!

Since nothing says "kid friendly" like a giant purple spider with 8 random eyes and an air pump!

Ok I take it back they liked it

actually they really liked it in a "Scrambler meets Swings" sort of way.

Tip#5 ... there is a truck in Kiddieland that has a sign saying "Any 3 items for $10"... if you have kids find this truck it will save your wallet. This was the snowcones

I had expected the standard small Disney cup... instead we had more snowcone then we knew what to do with. These were softball size scoops and that isn't counting what was in the cup!

I love old cars... oh and you don't need water at the fair since Sparklets has bottle water coolers and cups everywhere for FREE!

• "I Break Things"

Tip#6 good face painting... really good... and considering the venue cheap too!

The guy who painted them was AMAZING, even painting the 2.5 year old (which shocked us). I was very happy with the results!

made from recycled stuff

Tip#7 Frisbees that you can paint and get the kids name on for $5 = unique souvenir!

I'd show the results but the kids names are on them. This is a spinner machine that spins as they drip paint on the frisbees. They also have shirts for $10 but I liked the frisbees more! We decided not to pan for gold, but that was another option there.

Once again had to take a picture... that is just wrong... and no I didn't do the deep fried butter stick.

• "I Break Things"

We had to go this way to get to our destination so why not walk through the livestock barn.

The goat was getting groomed!

The name was "Elvis"... I would have said one of the Beatles but ok.

These little ones were only a few weeks old.

Ok my "plan" was to give the kids an experience they wouldn't forget. I had read about it online but I wasn't 100% sure until we got there... Demolition Derby!

This was Tink's first time at one... which made me laugh a bit. While I realize the "low brow" reputation of Monster Trucks and Demolition Derbys... it can be a lot of fun for a kid!

• "I Break Things"

They parade the cars around first. This is a derby sponsored by the San Diego County Fire Departments... each department modifies a car found in a junkyard and one fireman then drives it. Really a lot of fun.

This one didn't even make it.

It just couldn't handle the parade and the derby...

he was so embarrassed to be rescued by his own buddies!

A good reason the berm is there...

missing a bumper?

I'm not a mechanic but that is slight radiator damage...

this one didn't make it either

In the words of my son... whoa...

This was a "lost cause" as the front axel was actually broken.

Amazing how much damage these things can take.

no comment... just a compact model...

and then there was smoke

So after the first round of destruction the top finishers get to fix their car for 5 minutes.

Industrial strength can opener

love the bumper

my compact!

Not even sure where to begin!
    Last edited by techskip; 06-21-2010 at 10:32 PM.

• "I Break Things"

These were on display around the derby

I love the classics

We didn't stick around for the finals because the kids were hungry. On the way out we walked into the Piglet Races... which can be really crowded... so if you want to see them get there early!

This one didn't race, was barely a couple months old.

Off again to another exhibit hall in our quest to leave. This was cool though

All painted by Wyland...

Because if you don't deep fry butter you can always sculpt it!

• "I Break Things"

And we ended with a fair family tradition... DEEP FRIED TWINKIES! except Tink... she had some cinnamon roll thingy

• "I Break Things"

So my thoughts... fair as usual was expensive, but well worth it considering the memories. Del Mar is a lot bigger then I remember it, with a lot more to see and do. We missed the camel dairy and didn't see some of the stuff we'd wanted to. We also spent a LOT of time in Kiddie Land... but it was worth it. We arrived around 1130am and didn't leave until 830pm. It was a very fun, very full day. For anyone going I would advise the usual, sunscreen and a bottle of water if you don't like Sparkletts. Food is a bit pricey depending on what you get. Nothing is overly healthy... but it's one great time!

• Senior Minion

Thanks for an awesome trip report!! The pics and captions had me grinning from ear to ear.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• FastPass n00b

To answer your question, they changed the name of the Fair in 2002 (the 2001 Fair was the last official "Del Mar Fair"). It was originally the San Diego County Fair but they changed its name to the Del Mar Fair in the early 80's. But the new (old?) name is really just a superficial change, everyone around here still calls it the Del Mar Fair, myself included. The only people who call it the San Diego County Fair are the people on the radio and TV.

It's a lot like Jack Murphy Stadium and Qualcomm Stadium... it took me 5 years before I stopped calling it The Murph and started calling it Padres/Chargers stadium. These people can change the name of whatever they want, but some things will NEVER be what they want us to call it.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Awesome TR!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I love fairs.... its been so long since I've gone to one. Every time I see a trip report to one it brings back some great memories.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast