Knott's Halloween Haunt 2010 Wheelchair Friendly?

Hello, I am planning on taking my 21 year old handicapped daughter who needs to use a wheelchair for long distances, it will be our first time to attend the Haunt. She can get out to ride rides and walk thru a maze but tires fast. Are the mazes wheelchair accessible? Any mazes that have stairs? We want to plan so if she can sit thru a maze she can, or leave the wheelchair at an exit if she has to walk thru. We will be going with my son and daughter in law who have been to the haunt about 3 years ago, they thought there was one maze that had stairs.
    Also I read that last year there was a package deal that included hotel, buffet and Haunt tickets. Does anyone know if they will offer that again. We live in Nevada, so cannot do any California resident specials.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Kathy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Knott's Halloween Haunt 2010 Wheelchair Friendly?

All the mazes except the one at the Balloon Race site in Camp Snoopy are wheelchair accessible.

the 2 re-themed rides (Mine Ride and Log Ride) would require a transfer from wheelchair to ride

i'm sure knott's will offer the hotel/buffet/haunt combo pack however, last year they offered 2 and 4 packs of tickets and that combined with the buffet and a stay at the Rodeway Inn on Beach Blvd is VASTLY cheaper than staying at the knott's hotel

if you have any other questions do fee free to ask. my husband and i travel to Haunt every year from Northern Nevada and have become very familiar with the most economical ways to experience it
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

Thank you so much for the information! That is great that only 1 maze is not accessible. That should not wear her out at all. We are so excited! A package deal for 4 is also perfect for us. Like everyone else we would like to go on the least crowded nights. But would like longer hours in the park. Is it true that the earlier in the month the better? I appreciate any advice on anything, park secrets, saving money etc. We live in Pahrump, so it is only about 4 1/2 hrs or so from us. Thank you again!

Kathy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

yes, if you want to experience Haunt until their late hour (2am) go on either the first or second weekend. those are pretty much the only friday/saturday nights i personally would go to haunt due to the crowds (unless it's Halloween, we always go to haunt again at the end of October for Halloween)

one thing that people who are new to haunt tend to do is go on the regular rides, if you want to ride the regular rides i suggest you go during the daytime. when you're at Knott's for Haunt, Haunt should be your priority, hit the mazes, the 2 rethemed rides, The Hanging and spend some time in the 3 street zones (Ghost Town Streets, Necropolis [camp snoopy], and CarnEvil. dont' waste your time going on regular rides that are there all year long

knott's hasn't released what the other shows will be this year, besides the Hanging which is tradition and probably will never not be at Haunt, so its hard to say if any of the other shows are worth seeing. Zamora the torture king has been in Camp Snoopy for several years now, and if you've never seen his show its worth seeing once. My husband and i spend a lot of time in the Camp Snoopy area becuase its our favorite scare zone, so i'm SO OVER that show...but it is kinda neat the first time you see and hear him eat....well, i'll let you be suprised

and the Rodeway Inn on Beach Blvd i mentioned, they have suites which might be nice for your family and every room has a fridge and microwave, some rooms have full kitchens! that's what we usually get since we're in town for 2 weeks.

there's be more info i can share once Knott's releases more...i hope they do soon!
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

Hi,
    We definately will only go on the 2 themed rides! Your advice is much appreciated. A room with a fridge would be great! We will try to watch the hanging. I will be waiting for more information! LOL, I can hardly wait!!!!
    Thank you so much!
    Kathy

We decided to go with the Knott's package. On the website they did not have the 4 pack, but upon emailing them, they told me that add-ons were $89 and up depending on the day/package. So for $389 for 4, we got the room, 4 tickets, 4 dinner buffets and get early admission, 4 early morning breakfast buffets, 4 t-shirts and the hotel parking. We are going on Oct 7th a Thursday, and it is open till 1am that day. But we figured that should be a 'off' night and we could do the same as if we went on a 2am closing night.
    Forgot to ask them how long it takes to walk to the park entrance. I assume this hotel is right up against the park?
    New question. On the train ride and the Sleepy Hollow ride, Does anyone know how the wheelchair access works? I have not been to Knott's in many years, but I think I remember stairs on the water ride.
    Thanks!
    Kathy

• Circle of Ancients

The Knott's hotel is probably a 5 minute walk to the park. It's the same as walking from the parking lot, you just walk through the Marketplace.

As for the transfer for the log ride and mine train, I believe you go through the exit on both, but I could be wrong.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

i think Gregg is right..but on the mine ride there's stairs at the exit, but its all ramp in the regular line i believe. Log Ride has stairs at both entrance and exit. you could probably call Knotts and ask them about accessibility.

we'll be at Haunt that night too (well, pretty sure we will be hehehe), most likely wearing our "IIOY?" shirts, can't miss 'em!
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

Thank you both! IIOY shirts? what are those? Watch for us so we can say hi! In my photo, my hubby is not going. My daughters hair is way longer and will probably be in a pony, tail, mine is longer also. We will be using a red wheelchair with black seat. We are so excited!
    Kathy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

Quote Originally Posted by zuliek View Post
    Thank you both! IIOY shirts? what are those? Watch for us so we can say hi! In my photo, my hubby is not going. My daughters hair is way longer and will probably be in a pony, tail, mine is longer also. We will be using a red wheelchair with black seat. We are so excited!
    Kathy
    IIOY? stands for IsItOctoberYet (our twitter is linked in my signature) its a little side project that we do Twitter updates on haunted attractions we visit and other attractions we go to during the off season hope to see you at Haunt and if not, i hope your family has a fantastic time!
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

I finally found on Knott's webside the rules etc about wheelchairs. And since we plan on heading to the log ride and the mine ride first thing.... we decided to try parking the wheelchair and having Cherie go thru the line like everyone else. To have her sit in a 'holding' area and wait for the other 2 family members to get up to the holding area would bore her and she might even fall asleep! Better to keep her moving.
    Also I told you to watch for a red and black wheelchair to say hi to us..... Wheelchair color has changed .We put neon pink duct tape all over here wheelchair and it is on the wheels too. Will make it very easy to find it when we have to leave it.
    We are counting down the days, and checking out the utube videos daily!
    We plan on seeing some ocean before heading back to the desert the next morning. And we are hoping to find a seafood place for lunch. And not Long John Silvers, lol!
    Kathy

Wow is all I can say! We got to our hotel at 1:30 and our room was ready so we got to check in. We went to the shopping area after that and redeemed our t-shirt coupons and bought other stuff. Cherie got another Haunt tshirt with a kitty on it, and a couple of spooky toys a pumpkin lemir and a purple bat both with huge eyes. And I got a jar of that fantastic seedless raspberry jam! We went to the 5pm buffet that was good and set in a spooky dim room at the hotel. There were 2 monsters that wandered and took photos with us. (Smiley and Sugar) We had early admission so after dinner we went to wait for that. After a red ghoul welcomed us we went into the park. Loved the scare zones. We went on the Sleepy Hollow Log ride first and then to the Spider Cavern mine train. We had those done before the general public got into the park. There were 11 other mazes and got to do most of them twice! We went on the log ride again also, and the wild river raft ride. That small coaster that spins is very short, but there was no line. Think we wrote it twice in 11 minutes The mazes where we had to wear 3-d glasses were awesome. Twice ghouls took Cherie from me in her wheel chair and wheeled her in the mazes and outside the mazes. It was so funny. The ghouls from the dinner buffet worked the park also and they went up to Cherie saying her name. They had different costumes on so she wondered how those guys knew her name. Yesterday we had our breakfast buffet and Cherie saw Snoopy and we have photos with him too.
    It was a very fantastic time!
    Kathy
    Last edited by zuliek; 10-09-2010 at 12:45 PM.