• "I Break Things"

T&T San Diego Highland Games 2010

Tink and I are somewhat torn between going to Mary Queen of Scots (Queen Mary, Long Beach) and the San Diego Highland Games in Vista. The Queen of Scots tends to be larger, but a lot more expensive (as in $25+ a ticket). The San Diego Highland Games is less expensive, but a longer drive. We honestly hadn't been to the games in about 6 years... so this year we decided to go with San Diego! The Annual San Diego Scottish Highland Games & Gathering of the Clans

Just walking through the gates we were greeted with the amazing sound of bagpipes. A single bagpipe can be annoying (sorry) but an entire group of them accompanied by drums will wake the dead!

One of many bands and clubs. We saw everything from college clubs to police honor bands all gathered to compete

The beautiful blooming tree really framed this shot

As we were walking past this group was being judged. They are judged on everything from form to keeping in unison to marching... not really sure how everyone did but they sounded amazing.

The caber toss is probably one of the most well known of the games. The short version is a guy in a kilt runs out holding a caber (log) and then throws it trying to flip it end over end...Some of these things can weigh up to 150lbs or more... I'm proud of my crazy ancestors!

Of all the attempts I think only about 5 actually made it flip!

Takes 1 to throw, takes 2 to bring it back and set it up again!

RELOAD

Where he is standing is where he tossed it from. The guy in yellow is the judge.

This one flipped it!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: T&T San Diego Highland Games 2010

Sadly we missed the stone toss (yes they throw stones larger then ice chests!)

We at least saw the warmups for this toss.

HIGHLY ENTERTAINING as always... Wicked Tinkers. Sadly our "seats" were horrible so the memories are music not photos... but Welcome To The Official Website of the Wicked Tinkers.

The girls loved the dancing. I just wanted to sit down in the shade!

Some sort of strange ballet with moving feet...

Ok last one. It wasn't "horrible" but the thing is they do the same dance over and over before moving on to the next one (it's a competition with different dances).

The memorial band... really really good

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I friggin love Celtic Events!

And I look awesome in a kilt.

It's my legs.

I love my ancestors too!

Slainte!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• "I Break Things"

The final stop for us was the sheep dog competition. This tops just about any "dog talent show". With a series of whistles a shepherd can guide a dog to herd his/her flock in any direction.

In this case the dog was herding the dog through the gap in the fence on the right.

the cross... the dog is actually a bit out of the frame so as not to make the flock nervous.

full speed ahead

Just a cool shot, he brought them right to her.

On the way over to the dogs we noticed this booth, so we backtracked to let the kids play there.

" Handmade wooden toy Castle building blocks " I sent this privately to a few friends as well. This is something Disney should honestly consider selling. This is high quality wood. It's machine carved (using various saws and bits in his garage) and then tumbled to semi polish and smooth the edges. It is slightly expensive but if you are looking for toys to give your kids and pass on to your great grandkids this is really "it".

They also work as conversation pieces!

He set up various tables for the kids to play at. Our 4 started at one...

Soon it was off to two (the girls eventually migrated to 3 different tables).

He kept at it

And this was his masterpiece.

I could easily see something like this being sold inside the castle itself... really made me wonder why the souvenirs of Disneyland have become so generic.

So after the fun of the games, we grabbed a bite to eat and then headed to the drum circle

http://micechat.com/forums/other-the...post1056083613
    Last edited by techskip; 07-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    I friggin love Celtic Events!

And I look awesome in a kilt.

It's my legs.

I love my ancestors too!

Slainte!
    Roo
    Mom's side is Irish Scot from the McDouglas Clan. According to everyone there it was the border clan with England, most likely to own taverns and most likely to pick a fight... A lot of battles can be traced to them. My Dad's side is Norwegian, all the way to the Vikings... So basically my ancestors on both sides were big crazy men and strong women.